Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

A friend came to me for some advice today and knew i was on this forum, so he asked me to start a thread for him. My friend loves his girlfriend but her family doesn't like him. The girl seems to pick her family over my friend, and my friend doesn't want to lose her but gets annoyed because of her family. What should he do? I will give you what i said to him later. Has anyone been thru this? what happened and what did you do? Advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
He will always be second in her life and she has already showed him that by choosing her family over him apparantly more than once.

His choice to stay and accept that fact or move on to someone who is able to be close to their family and still have a good relationship with him. There is a balance to be found and it is easier to find that balance when both in the relationship want to find that balance.

It is doubtful that her family will ever like or accept him either, personally I would walk away from all the unnecessary aggrivation. Relationships are hard enough on their own let alone throwing family into the mix.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
He will always be second in her life and she has already showed him that by choosing her family over him apparantly more than once.

His choice to stay and accept that fact or move on to someone who is able to be close to their family and still have a good relationship with him. There is a balance to be found and it is easier to find that balance when both in the relationship want to find that balance.

It is doubtful that her family will ever like or accept him either, personally I would walk away from all the unnecessary aggrivation. Relationships are hard enough on their own let alone throwing family into the mix.
I agree 100% Anyone else

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 07-31-2013 at 01:21 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:50 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
A friend came to me for some advice today and knew i was on this forum, so he asked me to start a thread for him. My friend loves his girlfriend but her family doesn't like him. The girl seems to pick her family over my friend, and my friend doesn't want to lose her but gets annoyed because of her family. What should he do? I will give you what i said to him later. Has anyone been thru this? what happened and what did you do? Advise?
Blood is thisker than water, so her family will always come before him. He needs to realize that and accept that. I think he has 3 choices, leave her and move on with his life, be with her and deal with her family as it comes, or make a concerted effort to try to win over her family and make things better with them.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
It's her choice, for whatever reason.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
There's no way to answer this question unless we know why the GF's family doesn't like him. Maybe they have a good reason not to like him...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
There's no way to answer this question unless we know why the GF's family doesn't like him. Maybe they have a good reason not to like him...
I have the feeling that his ethnicity may have something to do with it.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Seriously? This "SHE" is such a God damn turn off! Tell your friend to find somebody else already. She is just not worth it.

SERIOUSLY! People on city data dump people for whatever the reasons (single fathers / single mothers / taking anti-depressants / eating salad instead of steak / working out too much / not working out at all and the silly list just goes on and on and on. But if the woman picks her family over her love, the guy should stick around?! No, hell no.

My most recent ex boyfriend is a typical mom's boy. I FULLY understand the importance of a family, believe me. I have a very amazing family. I am a daddy's little girl and also brothers' little girl. My brothers spoil me while growing up and I am very blessed to have my two big bros. But seriously, they learned very quickly to butt out of my relationship and I learned from VERY early age that if I disrespect any of my brother's girlfriends, I disrespect my brothers, period.

My brothers took me out every Friday night when they were single. They gave me money and tons of gift, they paid for my cars, vacation, almost everything I ask for. But when they are involved with somebody, I better find something else to do Friday night, and it is the way it supposes to be.

My ex's mom is so obsessed with her son to a point where I thought she wanted to sleep with her son or something! Just too sickening for my taste.

Now that my older brother is happily married, we all treat my sister in law as a member of the family because she is. Heck, she is the one taking care of and love my brother, of course we love her too. I won't mind kiss her ass every once in while as long as she treats my brother good, and she does, she is the best!!!

Bottom line, family should butt out. If your friend is a scumbag and a cheater, chances are your friend's girlfriend already knew that. Her family STILL should butt out. It is not their businesses.

If I knew a guy who listens to his family about his girlfriend choices, I'd tell him, "Hey, dude, might just as well get a mail order bride or considering arranged marriage." What a turn off, get a life already.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The issue is HER choosing her family over her boyfriend. What kind of guy can put up with this?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
My ex continually put the needs of his parents before my needs and the needs of our marriage. If there was a difference of opinion of any kind, he sided with them. ranging from where to eat dinner to what color of paint to put on MY walls. When we had kids they became my leverage...because their needs outweighed those of his parents (most of the time) and his parents were conscious of that and more likely to lend me a helping hand.

He was mortified when we got divorced because...what would his parents think?

He is now getting married again...LOL...to the daughter of his parents' best friends. He proposed to her in front of both extended families. Desperate to regain their approval.

Bottom line, whatever their age, your friend and his GF are not ready for a committed relationship. He should move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships