Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Exactly!! Its the PASSION that makes it great. Not earning millions of dollars. Its being able to make a career out of something that you are passion about that makes life fantastic. THAT is what makes a great career.
I don't think that's what was meant by the question. I would choose a great spouse over a great career because I don't need my passion to be my career in order for it to be my passion. My passion is my career - but even if it wasn't "great" - I would be okay. I would not be okay with out my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't think that's what was meant by the question. I would choose a great spouse over a great career because I don't need my passion to be my career in order for it to be my passion. My passion is my career - but even if it wasn't "great" - I would be okay. I would not be okay with out my husband.
I see.

My happiness is derived from who I am as a person, and what I do and get out of life. Its a kind of a self-enlightenment type of thing. My happiness is NOT the result of, or defined by the the person I married. Sure it helps, and my wife is GREAT, but happiness comes from within, its self created, self nurtured. I personally just think its a mistake to rely on others for happiness. When you are happy with yourself, and who you are as a person and "being", you WILL attract great people into your life.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
Great career noting like doing what you like doing vs working a dead end job .

I think having a great career will lead me to finding a great woman I hope . I will be proud of what I am doing for a living vs felling ashamed.

I could always just I play woman better than Tiger play golf back in his prime.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 PM

251 posts, read 299,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
This is assuming your career is one that will last until you retire and the spouse would be married with you unto death. Not saying you can only choose one but not the other, I am asking which is more important to you. I think men will choose career because with great careers come great spouses and men tend to be more career oriented then women. For women having a great career doesn't attract a great man. In some cases it can have the opposite effect because some men might feel inadequate if she is more professionally successful then he is.
Career, no doubt about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
This is assuming your career is one that will last until you retire and the spouse would be married with you unto death. Not saying you can only choose one but not the other, I am asking which is more important to you. I think men will choose career because with great careers come great spouses and men tend to be more career oriented then women. For women having a great career doesn't attract a great man. In some cases it can have the opposite effect because some men might feel inadequate if she is more professionally successful then he is.

I have both but if I had to choose I would choose my Husband over any job without hesitation or doubt.

I should say though that I don't agree with your logic, men and woman can have both and do have both and I further disagree with your "women having a great career doesn't attract a great man" theory.
If a man feels inadequate because of a woman's career that is his issue alone and has nothing to do with her.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM

336 posts, read 589,982 times
I need to have a career if I'm going to keep my spouse. I would be too worried about my family leaving me if I can't keep working.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
In the long term run, I'd rather have a good career.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 AM

332 posts, read 294,651 times
I'm only 22 and for me right now, it's my career. If 10 or 20 years down the road and I'm still not married, then my opinion would probably change. Right now though, my dreams/goals matter more than a guy since I've spent my life studying to get where I am.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Careers come and go. (Assuming you are versitle and do not pigeonhold yourself to one way of being)
Great people are hard to come by.

It really depends on how much you value others that are not yourself. Something that in and of itself flows with circumstance and time. Priorities will always shift depending on where you are in life.

That said, the question presented isn't a consideration for me. I wouldn't accept one over the other, I have no reason to when both are completely achievable at the same time.

The only thing that separates the two is circumstance and willingness.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-24-2014 at 02:23 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
You can't have both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships