Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

So I offered her the money for a deposit to get a mortgage on a
house. she accepted and I gave her it.

She was living with her Mam at the time and for whatever reason
didn't get the house.

She then started using the money for other expenses like car
repairs, bills, holiday expenditure etc. She didnt ask me or discuss it before doing this.

Should she have said something or is it fine for her to use the money as she sees fit?

Thanks for any help!

tl;dr: Gave girlfriend money for house deposit. Spent on other
things without asking. Is that ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambeywhat View Post

didn't get the house.

repairs, bills, holiday expenditure etc. She didnt ask me or discuss it before doing this.

Should she have said something or is it fine for her to use the money as she sees fit?

Thanks for any help!

Did you get this in writing? Lesson; whenever you lend money to anyone, get it in writing, preferably with a notary signature too.

From my POV, as someone who works as a personal banker, she should have said something because what she did is considered conversion, the act of using an item specified for a specific purpose for another purpose.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:

didn't get the house.

Thanks for any help!

Is it illegal? No.

Is it an OK way to treat your boyfriend? No.

What was your agreement? Was it a gift? Was it a loan?

And the holidays in December? Why didn't you ask for your money back as soon as you saw she wasn't getting the house?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:12 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:

didn't get the house.

Thanks for any help!

No, it's not ok. The only reason you gave her the money (bad move, IMO) was to facilitate her buying a house. It wasn't for a shopping spree, or anything else. When the house purchase didn't work out, she should have returned the money. Not just told you about it, but flat out returned the money. Has she spent all of it? Demand that she return what remains. Then break up with her, and in the future, follow Dissenter's advice. For a big loan like that, you should draw up a contract.

Honestly, I've never heard of someone lending someone enough money for a house downpayment. That's a huge amount. (How did you expect her to pay it back, btw? She'd be making housepayments. Does she have enough income to make payments to you, as well? If so, why couldn't she save for a downpayment herself?) I can only assume you two have been together for a couple of years, at least, and know each other well enough that you could be confident making such a loan. You found out that you don't know her as well as you thought. Either that, or you're overly trusting, or reckless with money, or make enough money that you don't concern yourself with details like this.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:15 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Is it illegal? No.

Is it an OK way to treat your boyfriend? No.

What was your agreement? Was it a gift? Was it a loan?

And the holidays in December? Why didn't you ask for your money back as soon as you saw she wasn't getting the house?
And by the way, OP, why didn't she get the house? Why don't you know why she didn't get the house? Isn't that something someone who had tens of thousands of dollars on the line would want to know? Does she have bad credit, so she didn't qualify for a mortgage? That would be a pretty important piece of information to have, for someone in your position.

WTH?!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Why in the world did you give her money?!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. For what its worth I gave her the money not loaned. specifically for a deposit.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:

didn't get the house.

Thanks for any help!

Read the words you wrote then ask yourself if it "Sounds Okay", then you will have your answer.

If you did not have legal documents written up to state exactly what the money was "loaned" to her for you have no legal standing and don't expect to see any of the money returned.

Personally I believe you have learned a very expensive life lesson and you need to take yourself out of this girls life.
She has proven she is not able to control herself when it comes to money and she has proven she cannot do the right thing which is return to you the exact amount you gave her when the purchase of the home did not get approved.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And by the way, OP, why didn't she get the house? Why don't you know why she didn't get the house? Isn't that something someone who had tens of thousands of dollars on the line would want to know? Does she have bad credit, so she didn't qualify for a mortgage? That would be a pretty important piece of information to have, for someone in your position.

WTH?!
I dont remember the actual reason she didnt get the house. It was 5k sterling.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. For what its worth I gave her the money not loaned. specifically for a deposit.
Meh... you gave her a gift of money (NOT a loan).
What she does with that gift is up to her.

It is crappy of her to fritter it away, but it is hers to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships