Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times

Advertisements

Tough one to answer.

The girl I am with now is an old high school classmate, though we didn't really "know" each other back then. We ended up friends on Facebook over the summer and eventually she struck up a conversation with me. I knew I had a good one on my hands when we would text each other often during the day and night and have actual intelligent conversations about a wide array of topics, plus she was just a very sweet girl all around. Even though I was interested though, I initially put her off for a few weeks due to some circumstances in my personal life.

Finally, I ran out of reasons to put her off anymore so one day I invited her up to our local sports bar to watch the football games with my friends and I, since she is a fan of the same team I am. When I was expecting to meet the cute but rather average looking girl from her Facebook pictures and was instead confronted with a 5'7 stunning brunette beauty, I was smitten from a physical standpoint. That week, we went to her apartment to watch a movie we had both wanted to see. I knew I would eventually make her my girlfriend when we spent all night talking, agreed to say goodnight at about 4am (we even had work the next day) but didn't end up calling it a night until after 6am.

I didn't really know that she could be "the one"...at least consciously...until just this weekend though. I say "consciously" because deep down I probably realized it but just didn't want to admit it to myself with the relationship being in its infancy. We watched the new episode of the Walking Dead and then put on another movie, seeing almost none of it because we were wrapped up in conversation. It was later that night...with her head on my chest, cuddled up to me...that I first thought to myself "you are probably holding your future wife right now".

Heavy ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
I personally don't believe in "the one". I think there are a number of people out there that make good matches for people. I have been in LTR with four women in my life that could have been the one. I don't expect one person to provide everything to me, I think that's unrealistic.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
How did you know you met the "one?" If you believe in the "one" that is.
There's no such thing as 'the one'.

There are simply people (plural) who are suitable for marrying, depending on your own marriage requirements.

There are hundreds of millions of members of the opposite sex within a few years of the age of everyone in their 20s and 30s. If you met half a dozen new members of this gender/age group every day for 20 years, you'd meet a fraction of 1% of 1% of all of them.

Suffice it to say, no matter how stringent ones standards happen to be, there are many 'the ones'.

Establish your criteria, assess, and judge accordingly. You might be right but you might also be wrong. That's life. This is a judgment call, after all.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
There's no such thing as 'the one'.

There are simply people (plural) who are suitable for marrying, depending on your own marriage requirements.

There are hundreds of millions of members of the opposite sex within a few years of the age of everyone in their 20s and 30s. If you met half a dozen new members of this gender/age group every day for 20 years, you'd meet a fraction of 1% of 1% of all of them.

Suffice it to say, no matter how stringent ones standards happen to be, there are many 'the ones'.

Establish your criteria, assess, and judge accordingly. You might be right but you might also be wrong. That's life. This is a judgment call, after all.

Finding the right person isn't about a checklist. Oh, they are XYZ, they are a suitable mate. Lets engage with each other. You shall do.

EMOTION people, EMOTION.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
There was, but that's not it. This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hk0sGep1bc

One thing I miss, is Cold Ethyl and her skeleton kiss
We met last night, making love by the refrigerator light
Ethyl Ethyl let me squeeze you in my arms
Ethyl Ethyl come and freeze me with your charms

One thing
No lie
Ethyl's frigid as an eskimo pie
She's cool in bed
Well she oughta be 'cause Ethyl's dead

Ethyl Ethyl let me squeeze you in my arms
Ethyl Ethyl come and freeze me with your charms
Come on Cold Ethyl
Freeze me babe

One thing - it's true
Cold Ethyl I am stuck on you
And everything is my way
Ethyl don't have much to say

Nope that is when you are divorced.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Finding the right person isn't about a checklist. Oh, they are XYZ, they are a suitable mate. Lets engage with each other. You shall do.

EMOTION people, EMOTION.
LOL, always cracks me up when people write out their "must have" list they think they'll need to help them decide if someone is worthy to be their partner.

The reality often means that list goes right out the proverbial window when "the one" walks in to your life.

I get that for those who have never been in love or been in love with someone who loved them equally as much, this stuff seems like such a mystery or fairy tale. But their insistence that something many of us know exists can't exist just makes them look so silly

Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOL, always cracks me up when people write out their "must have" list they think they'll need to help them decide if someone is worthy to be their partner.

The reality often means that list goes right out the proverbial window when "the one" walks in to your life.

I get that for those who have never been in love or been in love with someone who loved them equally as much, this stuff seems like such a mystery or fairy tale. But their insistence that something many of us know exists can't exist just makes them look so silly
You may be right. On the other hand, the right one for me did check all the boxes on my list. I didn't require that to fall in love, but it was delightful that my dream woman exists - and even exceeded my extensive wish list. As a result we're amazingly compatible in all ways.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM

105 posts, read 115,911 times
For me, it's when I know I'm willing to do everything to make her smile.
I want to love and spoil her as much as I can, but not by material matters.
I will not flirt with someone else because I know it will upset her.
She is the first person that I think of when I wake up and the last person I think of when I fall asleep.
When I see her, I can't stop smiling.

I met someone who made felt this way once, but I wasn't the one for her.
She picked someone over me.... It's been a while, it still aches me to know that we weren't meant to be.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I love all these people with elaborate theories on why The One doesn't exist arguing with those who have found such a person.

It's like arguing with people who just returned a trip to Australia, insisting to them that it really wasn't there.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-04-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 05:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I love all these people with elaborate theories on why The One doesn't exist arguing with those who have found it.

It's like arguing with people who just returned from Australia, telling them it isn't really there.
Bravo, as usual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships