Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:01 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
As far as enjoying dating goes, I would say that, for me, the ranking is professor > undergraduate > grad student. I don't date students or anything, but I do have far more free time and flexibility than I did as a student, and the women I dated were far more interesting. As an undergraduate, dating was a lot of fun, but honestly college girls brought less to a relationship than the women I have dated more recently. As a graduate student, I had less time, money, and flexibility to sustain a relationship, although I dated some great people.
One reason that I work in a government lab, as opposed to academia, is fear of accusation of sexual harassment in the latter. I've seen several cases where eminent academics ruined their career over an off-color joke uncorked in an otherwise dull moment during a lecture.

But returning to our topic, in graduate school I found more time and more wherewithal for dating, than as an undergrad. Likely this is because I was so young as an undergrad (enrolled at age 17, graduated at 19), taking heavy course-loads and living oblivious to the social scene (perhaps not unlike Adi's experience). Graduate school was especially welcoming after passing my candidacy exam, since I no longer had that sword of Damocles hanging over me, and my schedule became very flexible. After grad school, the demographics changed completely, curtailing dating completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM

615 posts, read 726,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Also, this. There is an endless supply of women in major cities like this.
Definitely not true in Seattle. The male:female ratio in my age range is 13:10.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times
As a woman, I had zero luck when I was in college so I relied on dating websites.
Now that I'm out of college and able to go out a bit more, I find it easier to meet men who are somewhat decent.
I'm not looking for "The One" though because it's too much of headache.

What you wrote gave me hope though ... maybe my exes will somewhere down the line realize how much of a catch I am and therefore regret letting me go once the market gets tougher and tougher!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM

545 posts, read 632,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
To my understanding Seattle is not urban, it is suburban with a downtown. Urban living creates a community much like college where as suburban living promotes seclusion.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
Urban living creates a community much like college where as suburban living promotes seclusion.
I wonder to what extent this is true. The advertisement resembles a paradise of the young, single and available - people who look good, who have the time and funds to mingle, who are in a milieu of easy mutual proximity, where misunderstandings are soon overcome and grudges soon forgotten. This might describe a Comsomol potato-harvesting brigade in 1970s Russia (where not surprisingly, many babies are born 9 months after harvest-time is over); but a modern American city?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
During college you are surrounded by thousands of women in their prime years of looks and freedom, usually coming in to the university unattached (since they had to leave their high school boyfriend), and of course it's legal to date them since they're not your coworkers. It's open season in the dating market.
That's if you go right to a school with an active greek life and a young demographic.

I've gone to school nowhere with those social luxuries. Even grad school for me is online. I guess I'll find out early next week how U of Florida is up close and personal then.

I believe I had my best luck at my mall jobs entering my very early 20s. Suit and tie game does wonders. Granted, the Russian chick I was dating from back then aged badly (if Facebook puts your best face forward, then they're in sad shape) as have most of the chick coworkers who came my way, but those were the days!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:23 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
During college you are surrounded by thousands of women in their prime years of looks and freedom, usually coming in to the university unattached (since they had to leave their high school boyfriend), and of course it's legal to date them since they're not your coworkers. It's open season in the dating market. Graduate college and it's completely closed. You won't be able to find someone who's compatible, even with the targeted searches you're able to do with online dating filters. The women you're attracted to have been snatched up, are unavailable.
Do you have a question? I only see a statement. Granted it's an inaccurate statement, as I'm sure others have pointed out to you by now, but it's still just a statement.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:20 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
you can always make a case for nostalgia, that you used to have it better "back then".

yes its true you would never have more "access" to potential dates/mates of your same age.

But you also had NO MONEY in school. One of many pro-votes on the post-graduation world is, you can finally afford something better than Top Ramen for dinner and thrift store clothes. And maybe you are fortunate enough to have enough scratch for a made-this-decade car.

Yes my friend, time is a thief of your dreams and opportunities. Maybe even one day sooner than you think your body might start failing you (you never lost the freshman 15, and you couldn't run a mile to escape the zombies if you tried).

So next time you see something that catches your eye, go for it. Smile and Say hi. You only have a chance of True Love to lose.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
I guess times have changed. I lived in Seattle from July 1992 to December 1994. It was by far the easiest I had it in meeting women of any place I've lived, though D.C. is not bad. I was in my mid twenties then, and I'd frequently go to see live music four or five nights a week, and there was no shortage of women. Very easy to strike up a conversation with and laid-back. Definitely fun times.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Reason its easy at school is because its a small "universe" where everyone is sort of clumped together and living in a tiny "city". You see the same people, go to the same places, support the same teams, so its really easy to meet. But, if you think about it, you can do this same thing after college.

For me, there was no real difference between dating while in school and dating after school. I cant even tell you the number of women I met, gone on dates with, banged, developed great friendships with, etc. who I met just at local Starbucks, coffee shop, bookstores, martial arts school and gym. Now that I really think about it, it was actually more than while at school.

My advice to you is to just be open and friendly with everyone you meet. This includes ugly girls and even the ones who are "snatched up" as you call it. While they may be unavailable, if you are totally cool, nice, friendly, etc. they WILL set you up with their friends. Worst case scenario is that you make new friends. That is always a good thing.
This is the truth. I have many single girlfriends i worked with over the years as a teacher. They would love to be set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships