Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 8,576 times

Advertisements

Am I wrong to feel hurt that hubby puts his mother before me?
we've been together a decade, while he remembers her birthdays and every single thing for her, he forgets anything regarding us.. he forgot our anniversary last year.

We've been discussing having kids and me staying home to raise them but his mother feels it's not right for him to support us while I sit at home and do nothing.
She said she doesn't approve of "our" decision, so naturally now he doesn't either.
He's threatening divorce if I don't change my decision and go along with his mother.

This isn't normal but he won't stick up for me or himself.. what would you do? Am I wrong to feel hurt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
No, you're not wrong to feel hurt. But you'd be wrong to have kids with this man. Don't. Do. It.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,014 times
Now THAT'S a momma's boy! Loving your mom is one thing. Letting her control your life/marriage is another.

Sorry, you're married to mom too. You have to go along with it or mom will persuade to divorce you.

You should divorce him first and tell him to marry his momma!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Sounds like a right mommy's boy. You're right to be p***ed off. I'd say you might want to rethink the whole deal. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
His mother was number 1 up until you came into his life. Now you are number 1, or should be.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Don't have kids with this man. A husband is supposed to put his wife first, and stick up for her. You should find a guy who's willing to do that for you (and you reciprocate, of course). It's normal. Putting a parent above a spouse is a recipe for a failed marriage. He's been clear with his priorities, so it remains for you to decide whether to stay or look for someone who's more devoted to you.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Ewwww, your man can't let go of the apron strings. Is she still breastfeeding him? Get rid of him, he sounds like a loser.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
That would not fly with me.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBaker View Post
Am I wrong to feel hurt that hubby puts his mother before me?
we've been together a decade, while he remembers her birthdays and every single thing for her, he forgets anything regarding us.. he forgot our anniversary last year.

We've been discussing having kids and me staying home to raise them but his mother feels it's not right for him to support us while I sit at home and do nothing.
She said she doesn't approve of "our" decision, so naturally now he doesn't either.
He's threatening divorce if I don't change my decision and go along with his mother.

This isn't normal but he won't stick up for me or himself.. what would you do? Am I wrong to feel hurt?
I'm curious, was his mother a stay at home mom?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't have kids with this man. A husband is supposed to put his wife first, and stick up for her. You should find a guy who's willing to do that for you (and you reciprocate, of course). It's normal. Putting a parent above a spouse is a recipe for a failed marriage. He's been clear with his priorities, so it remains for you to decide whether to stay or look for someone who's more devoted to you.
I agree with this. Maybe I am old-fashioned. But I feel spouses come 1st, above parents and children. You made the mistake of marrying a Mama's Boy. So, I would question why you stuck with him in the 1st place and married him, knowing mommy always came 1st.

But in any case now, you will either have to spend your life obeying his mother, because he'll always side with her, and you can never win. Or, you can get out now-divorce.

Chances are, he's always been this way, and will be until his mother passes away, and he probably isn't gonna change his stripes with this. You can try talking to him. but chances are, he'll go and tell his mother, like he apparently does. Why is she even getting into how you raise your kids. Apparently he's been going to her and telling her.

Really, I can understand you being pissed. But the choices are slim.

1. Stay and be 2nd place
2. Divorce

I mean, he shows how little he values you if he'll divorce you for not siding with mommy. And if you have kids with him, things will get worse, and if you split then, a custody battle will follow, because mommy, now grandmommy, will want her son to keep the kids, and having children involved in all that isn't good for them. So, then you may end up stuck in an unhappy marriage for at least another 20+ years, for the kids.

So, I say, PLEASE DON"T HAVE KIDS WITH THIS GUY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships