Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:35 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times

Advertisements

Generally, I've been finding that the women that I'm highly physically attracted to are usually lukewarm or uninterested in me. At the very least, they are not approaching me (maybe I need to be more aggressive towards them?). I am by no means chasing after 10s either. The select few girls whom I've dated that I've been highly attracted to physically were not, let's just say for the sake of their reputations, long term material. It's the women that I'm not that physically attracted to that seem to be really into me however.

In order to find happiness in my romantic relationships, I need to find a way to break this cycle. I think part of my problem, at times, is that I pursue the low hanging fruit. In other words, I embrace anything and everything that shows interest in me. Initially, when I meet one of these women that I'm not physically attracted to but who seem to be really into me, I try to tell myself that I'll get over it and I'll grow attracted to some other feature of theirs. But this almost never happens. Last night I was with a woman I met awhile back and we recently decided to start things up again. And again, I found myself thinking throughout the night that I'm not attracted to her (and by her, I mean physically and her personality; she is a little too rambunctious for me, and swears a lot which is kind of a turn off for me).

Have you experienced this? Did you resolve it? If so, how did you approach it? I think, for starters, I need to start being a little more discriminatory and stop convincing myself that I will fall for some other trait that they have, because more often than not, that doesn't happen.

Last edited by Lafleur; 12-17-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
It definitely happens for me. But most of my happenings with guys came from school years ago. I had crushes on guys, I thought they were cute and/or funny, and I would have loved them to be interested, but they never were. That was about 5-7 guys, I forget the exact number, but no more than 7.

Then the guys who like me, I don't care for. Not only do I not like their looks, but the personality and/or way they carry themselves isn't attractive. so just no saving graces or things to work with there.

This hasn't been resolved, because I am usually always home. But I THINK my luck may improve when I move, and will be around a more diverse number of guys. But that's a maybe. And that won't happen for a while, because I have other things to get in order before moving is even a thought. My grandmother is usually the one I talk to about more personal matters. Her thoughts is guys around here suck, and I am pretty, so had I moved to the next city-where I plan to go, I would have met someone already. But that's an opinion and subjective.

But, if worse comes to worse, I will just be single. That's better than settling. And when I say settling, I mean staying with someone you aren't attracted to just to have someone. I am not talking about compromising, that's fine & good. Settling is what's not, imo.

I did like you only once, where I wasn't attracted physically, but went to meet him anyhow, and his doormat personality was a turn-off in addition to his looks. My mother says I need to settle. my grandmother says that's nonsense, and she's giving me advice she doesn't take, stating my mother never dated anyone she thought was ugly, and didn't marry a man she thought was ugly, and that it makes no sense to.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-17-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 03:00 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
I don't attract any interest at all, so I don't have this kind of problem.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
That happens to me too, but I don't attract many guys at all.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
It definitely happens for me. But most of my happenings with guys came from school years ago. I had crushes on guy, I thought they were cute and/or funny, and I would have loved them to be interested, but they never were. That was about 5-7 guys, I forget the exact number, but no more than 7.

Then the guys who like me, I don't care for. Not only do I not like their looks, but the personality and/or way they carry themselves isn't attractive. so just no saving graces or things to work with there.

This hasn't been resolved, because I am usually always home. But I THINK my luck may improve when I move, and will be around a more diverse number of guys. But that's a maybe. And that won't happen for a while, because I have other things to get in order before moving is even a thought. My grandmother is usually the one I talk to about more personal matters. Her thoughts is guys around here suck, and I am pretty, so had I moved to the next city-where I plan to go, I would have met someone already. But that's an opinion and subjective.

But, if worse comes to worse, I will just be single. That's better than settling. And when I say settling, I mean staying with someone you aren't attracted to just to have someone. I am not talking about compromising, that's fine & good. Settling is what's not, imo.

I did like you only once, where I wasn't attracted physically, but went to meet him anyhow, and his doormat personality was a turn-off in addition to his looks. My mother says I need to settle. my grandmother says that's nonsense, and she's giving me advice she doesn't take, stating my mother never dated anyone she thought was ugly, and didn't marry a man she thought was ugly, and that it makes no sense to.
That's the way my mother is lol. She had every guy she ever wanted and more banging down her door and always stuck with jerks and weirdos. And she loves to tell me that "looks aren't everything".

Old 12-17-2014, 03:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Yeah, mutual attraction can be tough but I feel like women are more often encouraged to look past physical appearance than men are. I've never gone out with a guy who I found repulsive, but usually I'm just nonchalant about their looks and my attraction doesn't grow beyond that, so it's unfortunate.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, mutual attraction can be tough but I feel like women are more often encouraged to look past physical appearance than men are. I've never gone out with a guy who I found repulsive, but usually I'm just nonchalant about their looks and my attraction doesn't grow beyond that, so it's unfortunate.
For me, I know that I don't experience instantaneous attraction much, I have to get to know someone. I know if I got to know a good guy otherwise I probably would start to like him even if I didn't at first, but they usually do something douchebaggy right away that turns me off and that's it for me.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:19 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times

Hmmm, I consider myself fortunate in this case. My current girl is definitely attractive, but when I first met her, I didn't really notice her. However, as the time went on, I found her more attractive. We share a lot in common, and at the same time, there is enough differences. She has one of the most pleasant personalities I have ever dealt with.

I'm definitely attracted to what we have. There are women I can never be attracted to, I am sure. I think when it comes to women that I am just not attracted to, it is something in their personality as well as looks.

When I see a woman I find physically attractive but has a hateful personality, she still "looks good", but I'm left thinking, "What a waste".

But like I said, for most women, I can find something attractive about the ones that value me.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:22 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
That's the way my mother is lol. She had every guy she ever wanted and more banging down her door and always stuck with jerks and weirdos. And she loves to tell me that "looks aren't everything".
I will say looks aren't everything, but they are important to a point. I don't need a guy like Sean Bean, though it'd be nice. But I have to find him ok to look at.

But vise-verse. If a guy asked me out, I would hope he found me pretty, rather than because - he's desperate, trying better luck with dating down, or anything of the like. I would hate a guy pity dating me, or asking me out in hopes he "acquires tastes" for me.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-17-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
My Dilemma With Physical Attraction (and Perhaps Yours)
The solution to your problem is easy.

For a guy, all you really have to do is:

1. Take care of your appearance. Be groomed, dress nicely (i.e., neatly) and be clean.
2. Have not just an interesting personality, but have something interesting in your LIFE going on. Have something you are passionate about.

For women:

1. Dont be fat. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships