Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 44,205 times

Advertisements

Here is the story of a girlfriend. She was a pretty undergrad who had the eye of every male on campus. She is a little shy and reserved and so not a lot of them approached here. but a few bold ones did. One of them was her senior who was not definately GQ but could pass for an OK guy. She started with him just for the sake of it and half way in dating process he already fell for her and she wanted to break up with him(mainly b/c the excitement was over for her) but he begged her to continue the relationship. She didnt want to hurt him so she did.. Now they dated for 6 years, during those years she did say she loved him(it was just a word after all) and had been intimate with him, there was nothing fantastic in that aspect, infact she despised it!!..now its been almost 6 years, she has never told him that and he is planning on asking for her hand in marriage.: She keeps telling us(her BFFS) that sex really is not everything and maybe she will be ok. I keep telling her to break the whole thing up and that it is not right. Now she is considering it and shes getting overly anxious , as this news will not only break the relationship but also him b/c he's divinely inlove with her...
Forum members give suggestions, should she just hurt him, or suppress her feeling and learn to love him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermagirl View Post
Here is the story of a girlfriend. She was a pretty undergrad who had the eye of every male on campus. She is a little shy and reserved and so not a lot of them approached here. but a few bold ones did. One of them was her senior who was not definately GQ but could pass for an OK guy. She started with him just for the sake of it and half way in dating process he already fell for her and she wanted to break up with him(mainly b/c the excitement was over for her) but he begged her to continue the relationship. She didnt want to hurt him so she did.. Now they dated for 6 years, during those years she did say she loved him(it was just a word after all) and had been intimate with him, there was nothing fantastic in that aspect, infact she despised it!!..now its been almost 6 years, she has never told him that and he is planning on asking for her hand in marriage.: She keeps telling us(her BFFS) that sex really is not everything and maybe she will be ok. I keep telling her to break the whole thing up and that it is not right. Now she is considering it and shes getting overly anxious , as this news will not only break the relationship but also him b/c he's divinely inlove with her...
Forum members give suggestions, should she just hurt him, or suppress her feeling and learn to love him

Come on.

If she wants to live a life of misery because she, for some reason, cannot express her own damn feelings, then she should definitely proceed with the marriage.

She should not have kids, though.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM

545 posts, read 632,503 times
If she is not able to take initiative and can only be with guys who will boldly approach her then she should consider that she is with exactly who she should be with and get over her ego. What exactly does she want? Another but "better" LTR or to start flinging?

I think she should consider "cheating" to see how she would fair out there, maybe she'd find quickly (before actually doing anything with anyone) that she's right where she should be.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
As her BFFs, you should encourage her to test drive a few more cars before buying this one.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Really, she dated him just because he asked and she stayed with him for 6 years because she didn't want to hurt his feelings.

I just don't know what to think about that.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Sounds like my mom in a way. Always worried about hurting someone else's feelings. Even if it means sacrificing her own. Miserable way to live if you ask me. Yes, their feelings may be hurt temporarily but eventually they'll get over it and move on

Old 02-10-2015, 02:04 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
She's dumb for letting it get this far.

This is the reason I won't settle for less than what I want.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:14 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
She should have ended this a long time ago. Contrary to popular belief, love does not conquer all. Despise is a pretty strong word, and that tells me there is little if any room for improvement. Normally I prefer to stay out of peoples business, but if the marriage goes through I see it being a huge train wreck.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
6 years. Well, if she doesn't like sex and she gets along with him ok go for it. I know a woman at a bar I go to like this who is now getting some on the side because she's married to Mr. Love Dud. Actually, theres usually a couple of these at almost any pub you go to.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Marriage is the surest way to kill passion that I know of.

Maybe they'll make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships