Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times

Advertisements

Let's face it. Most relationships have expiration dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:53 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,731,952 times
Most of the time it's because people cheat or people change.

Personally I'm not sure people are suppose to be together forever....there are some rare cases.....but as I stated: It's RARE.

I have only heard of maybe one couple staying together until death and that was my grandmother and my grandfather, even then they had MAJOR issues that would cause a break up.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,479,983 times
Once you have some real-life dating and relationship experience, you'll probably understand. Right now, you have an "ivory tower" idealism that won't survive exposure to reality.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:27 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Teenage relationships are completely different than adult relationships, so I'm not even going to address that other than to say that when you're not even fully grown and don't even know who you are yet, it's nearly impossible to choose a forever-mate. People learn, grow, and change a LOT in their 20s. It's a whole different ballgame.

With my divorce, it came down to two things: We were friends who should have stayed friends, and a few years into the marriage he started dropping hints about wanting kids, even though we agreed from the third date that neither of us wanted them. It happens.

As for the rest, here is a pretty good guide to killing a marriage:

7 Surefire Ways To Kill Your Marriage

Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Teenage relationships are completely different than adult relationships, so I'm not even going to address that other than to say that when you're not even fully grown and don't even know who you are yet, it's nearly impossible to choose a forever-mate. People learn, grow, and change a LOT in their 20s. It's a whole different ballgame.

With my divorce, it came down to two things: We were friends who should have stayed friends, and a few years into the marriage he started dropping hints about wanting kids, even though we agreed from the third date that neither of us wanted them. It happens.

As for the rest, here is a pretty good guide to killing a marriage:

7 Surefire Ways To Kill Your Marriage
For all my faults I'm only guilty of nagging. I feel a little better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,802,765 times
My breakup happened because my partner was involved in some illegal scam with her mom, refused to take responsibilty for her role claiming to be a victim which she clearly wasn't and hiding key facts of the situation from me... sucks for me but that's life. Sometimes you take a chance and het Fked, other times it lasts.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,688,122 times
Incompatibility is pretty high up there.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,013,443 times
You're too young to be my friend, but last night one of my closest friends has been thinking of divorcing his wife because she will not give him any kind of affection at all. No sex, no kissing, no holding hands, no physical affection whatsoever. This happened after they had 2 children together. He says they're basically best friends living together.

And before any people here think that it's his fault, I've talked to him about what he's tried to do to help her. From being the primary bread winner to coming home and cleaning the entire house by himself while watching the 2 children by himself and cooking meals, finding sitters so they can have date nights, and giving her nights off to be by herself or around friends, and yes I've seen small parts of his on FB since I'm friends with both husband and wife. She's completely shut him out of affection including sex. He's trying to get her to go to counseling with him, but I don't know if she's up to doing that. So, I've been hearing his thoughts on divorce, and maybe asking other divorced people about there divorce.

I knew he was marrying too damn early. Now other women are hitting on him, and he's sexually frustrated.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,242,084 times
This is so common and it takes a lot to get out of that cycle, especially if she's home with the kids all day and feels like a Mom Blob instead of a woman. It's tough because he just wants some closeness, but she probably takes it like he's just helping out because he wants to get some. The Mr. and I went through a similar patch after our 3rd kid was born, as he was an exceptionally difficult baby for the first year and a half; between that and the other two kids, by the end of the day I felt like I had been chewed up and spit out. The Mr. wanting some loving after I finally collapsed at night just felt like one more thing that someone wanted from me. It took time, patience, and him adjusting his expectations (i.e. being willing to settle for a quickie)... but we got it back
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You're too young to be my friend, but last night one of my closest friends has been thinking of divorcing his wife because she will not give him any kind of affection at all. No sex, no kissing, no holding hands, no physical affection whatsoever. This happened after they had 2 children together. He says they're basically best friends living together.

And before any people here think that it's his fault, I've talked to him about what he's tried to do to help her. From being the primary bread winner to coming home and cleaning the entire house by himself while watching the 2 children by himself and cooking meals, finding sitters so they can have date nights, and giving her nights off to be by herself or around friends, and yes I've seen small parts of his on FB since I'm friends with both husband and wife. She's completely shut him out of affection including sex. He's trying to get her to go to counseling with him, but I don't know if she's up to doing that. So, I've been hearing his thoughts on divorce, and maybe asking other divorced people about there divorce.

I knew he was marrying too damn early. Now other women are hitting on him, and he's sexually frustrated.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,013,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
This is so common and it takes a lot to get out of that cycle, especially if she's home with the kids all day and feels like a Mom Blob instead of a woman. It's tough because he just wants some closeness, but she probably takes it like he's just helping out because he wants to get some. The Mr. and I went through a similar patch after our 3rd kid was born, as he was an exceptionally difficult baby for the first year and a half; between that and the other two kids, by the end of the day I felt like I had been chewed up and spit out. The Mr. wanting some loving after I finally collapsed at night just felt like one more thing that someone wanted from me. It took time, patience, and him adjusting his expectations (i.e. being willing to settle for a quickie)... but we got it back
No she works too. She works 4 days a week 10 hour shifts. He works at least 5 days a week 8 hour shifts minimum, and is on call to cover shifts when they get call offs. He's the RN supervisor at the local hospital in the ER department. To say that his days are infinitely more hectic is probably an understatement. And I hear it from both sides about there days.

She comes home exhausted, and then she wants him to do the majority of the housework and chores. I know that I'm painting a bad picture of his wife, and it's not because I'm his best friend, I see both sides and she doesn't want anything to do with him after she's settled in at home. He's lowered his expectations, he doesn't expect sex every night, probably not even 2 times a week. He just wants physical affection mostly, a kiss and a hug. He told me last night he hasn't had sex in a year at least and she won't even hold his hand in public. He's frustrated, he's tried to help her, he's trying to get into counseling, she does seem cold on everything. I told him something might have happened to her after having the 2nd child, and he agrees, but she refuses to get help.

The hell is he going to do? What he's going through IS hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships