Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,130 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started paying attention to toxic friendships and how certain people acted with me (to which I reacted negatively or didn't feel good)... I seem to have lost a lot of friends. And changed my views on friendship.

Two of my friends I've realized are quite catty, which I had a lot of trouble dealing with and I've decided to not talk to them anymore. Another friend I think basically uses me for information (and I get info from her too) but it's more about selfish interests than truly getting to know each other outside of school-related things. And another friend from school was making an issue over something stupid... and I got annoyed... thus changing my perception of her as well.

Basically I've realized I don't really have any true friends, in the sense that they're with me through thick and thin beyond their own interests. Everything just seems really shallow. People seem really shallow. In general. It always seems to be about "what's in it for me"

Anybody else feel this way or have any thoughts?

I feel like my entire world view on friendship has changed. I think for the good though, I'm a lot more centered/less clingy/more focused on myself more now. But I feel bittersweet when I think about the old more naive, more genuine, more giving me of the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I know how you feel. I wish I could meet some truly legit people.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Yeah agree some friends you need to get rid of. Some of mine get irked by me because I don't like going to those crappy local dives. Or a party I know I will know only a few people. Or invite me over just to help them do work at their house. I usually ignore their calls.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Ever since I started paying attention to toxic friendships and how certain people acted with me (to which I reacted negatively or didn't feel good)... I seem to have lost a lot of friends. And changed my views on friendship.

Two of my friends I've realized are quite catty, which I had a lot of trouble dealing with and I've decided to not talk to them anymore. Another friend I think basically uses me for information (and I get info from her too) but it's more about selfish interests than truly getting to know each other outside of school-related things. And another friend from school was making an issue over something stupid... and I got annoyed... thus changing my perception of her as well.

Basically I've realized I don't really have any true friends, in the sense that they're with me through thick and thin beyond their own interests. Everything just seems really shallow. People seem really shallow. In general. It always seems to be about "what's in it for me"

I feel like my entire world view on friendship has changed. I think for the good though, I'm a lot more centered/less clingy/more focused on myself more now. But I feel bittersweet when I think about the old more naive, more genuine, more giving me of the past
I understand what you're talking about.

I would rather be alone than deal with fake superficial people.

The first step to changing your circle of friends is to recognize the signs when you're being used. Real friends are not users.

Once you get rid of the excess baggage you can focus on yourself and what's important to you. Genuine friends develop over time.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Hello. I've experienced catty "friends" before. You should read The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene: a lot of people are on severely deluded power trips: power is more gratifying than friendship to such people. You are just a tool or a pawn to such people. At least you will know what to beware of.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 PM

All of the signs are in the book 48 laws of power: it's a blunt and cynical book about power mongers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I understand what you're talking about.

I would rather be alone than deal with fake superficial people.

The first step to changing your circle of friends is to recognize the signs when you're being used. Real friends are not users.

Once you get rid of the excess baggage you can focus on yourself and what's important to you. Genuine friends develop over time.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM

It's hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I know how you feel. I wish I could meet some truly legit people.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Sometimes I think I just expect too much from people. Live and let live. Focus on yourself.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I think I just expect too much from people. Live and let live. Focus on yourself.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What the heck is wrong with you? First you hijack my thread with five gazillion posts and now the facepalm? What gives you the right to be so unnecessarily condescending?

Actually you have the right to be as condescending as you wish but you should know you look like an *** in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships