Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Tim, our views on this could go back and forth all day. If you are happy with what you've got going on... keep doing what works for you.
Ok, it was a pretty straightforward question, and would explain a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because even though I'm an outdoors person at heart, living in Boston, Chicago, SF, (places I've lived) etc is freaking fantastic.
Why wouldn't you just say that then? Especially since you have knowledge of just how different the areas you were talking about are.

I'm assuming this isn't the way you intended it, but from your post it sort of makes it sound like the only people you want to interact with are people you're possibly going to be attracted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Do you really believe that walking up behind a woman, who doesn't even know you're there, and asking her to coffee is an appropriate and effective way to approach someone? I wouldn't have agreed to it even if I wasn't married.
It sounds more like the way you were approached is what you took issue with and not that you were approached.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Why wouldn't you just say that then? Especially since you have knowledge of just how different the areas you were talking about are.
Say what? People generally aren't all that different. I've lived in the South (Kentucky), the Midwest, West Coast and Northeast, and people are people. Mostly the same. Except for that fake nice stuff so prominent in CA and parts of the South... but you can get past that in time.

Quote:
I'm assuming this isn't the way you intended it, but from your post it sort of makes it sound like the only people you want to interact with are people you're possibly going to be attracted to.

Oh no, I love talking to people just because its fun, and making connections is fun. I'll talk to whoever, and usually do when out and about in social situations. I spent most of my weekend in VT just chatting to people.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 AM

914 posts, read 765,747 times
Quote:
Ok, it was a pretty straightforward question, and would explain a lot to me.
I'm saying if a single man see's a woman that he's attracted to, (maybe she's physically attractive, maybe she's in his class and he thinks she's smart, maybe he likes the energy she puts out, maybe she dresses like part of a subculture he is in, maybe she looks like a church-girl and he's a church-boy, maybe she looks like a bad girl and he's a bad boy) then he should approach her. What he shouldn't do, is say in his mind "Aww shucks, I really don't know her, screw that!". And, pass on something which could have had potential.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm saying if a single man see's a woman that he's attracted to, (maybe she's physically attractive, maybe she's in his class and he thinks she's smart, maybe he likes the energy she puts out, maybe she dresses like part of a subculture he is in, maybe she looks like a church-girl and he's a church-boy, maybe she looks like a bad girl and he's a bad boy) then he should approach her. What he shouldn't do, is say in his mind "Aww shucks, I really don't know her, screw that!". And, pass on something which could have had potential.

Oh, ok. You're interchanging being "attracted to" and someone being good looking with each other, or being attracted to, with liking the image they project. Got it. To me they are in no way synonymous. Those are three completely different things. It's especially problematic when people interchange thinking someone is "good looking" with "finding them attractive", as those are miles apart,

Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Say what? People generally aren't all that different. I've lived in the South (Kentucky), the Midwest, West Coast and Northeast, and people are people. Mostly the same. Except for that fake nice stuff so prominent in CA and parts of the South... but you can get past that in time.
People are only similar in so much as some of their drives and desires are common to everyone.

Taking away the obvious geographic differences, socioeconomic differences, and educational differences you still have the fact that men and women are different. Sometimes greatly so.

Quote:
Oh no, I love talking to people just because its fun, and making connections is fun. I'll talk to whoever, and usually do when out and about in social situations. I spent most of my weekend in VT just chatting to people.
Then it must just be you're using different terminology for what others are saying, but everyone seems to think the other person is saying something different. Otherwise having ruled out everything else it seems you just like to argue.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Then it must just be you're using different terminology for what others are saying, but everyone seems to think the other person is saying something different. Otherwise having ruled out everything else it seems you just like to argue.

Well it seems people have different notions of what the term approach means.

They definitely, Tenor shows, are interchanging or using differently the term "attraction" (many people seem to use it synonymously with thinking someone is good looking, for some reason).

Having a standard definition for these terms would certainly help in the discussion.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM

914 posts, read 765,747 times
Quote:
Oh, ok. You're interchanging being "attracted to" and someone being good looking with each other, or being attracted to, with liking the image they project. Got it. To me they are in no way synonymous. Those are three completely different things. It's especially problematic when people interchange thinking someone is "good looking" with "finding them attractive", as those are miles apart,
Let's take your nick for example, "Timberline" is a very popular ski resort, so maybe you like skiing. If you were in a department store and saw a woman shopping for what looks like an upcoming ski trip, that could be an approach scenario if you wanted it to be. You don't 'know' her yet, but maybe you two will like the same things and maybe not. Either way, you'll never know unless you ask.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 PM

11,792 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:
Let's take your nick for example, "Timberline" is a very popular ski resort, so maybe you like skiing. If you were in a department store and saw a woman shopping for what looks like an upcoming ski trip, that could be an approach scenario if you wanted it to be. You don't 'know' her yet, but maybe you two will like the same things and maybe not. Either way, you'll never know unless you ask.
Ask what though? Ask if she's an avid skier? Or walk up and ask her to ski with you?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
With almost 1,500 posts I'm not sure how much he gets out anyway. More and more I'm thinking troll.

What were we even talking about before a verb somehow became a noun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships