Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 AM

79 posts, read 63,035 times

Advertisements

A couple weekends ago, my girlfriend and I were out at a bar. There were a group of guys (one who my friend knows and another we have both seen out/she matched with on Tinder). Well, one of the guys in the group was someone I thought was attractive. Apparently his married friend saw me looking and came over and asked me which one of his friends I was looking at. I laughed and pointed out which one.

Well, his friend started asking me about myself and joked that he was "interviewing" me to see if his friend and I were compatible. We chatted for about 20 minutes and during this time, I also asked him what kind of guy his friend looked like. He was attractive and I wasn't interested in getting introduced to someone who had the "player" like mentality. He said his friend was not like that at all. He then said that he felt like we were pretty compatible, so he introduced us.

His friend was a little drunk. I was unsure of the "level" of drunkness because he did tell me he was drunk, but wasn't falling all over the place (I know some people can contain their drunkness pretty well). We chatted for a good 30-40 minutes. We talked about what we like to do and just joked around. My friend was also talking to the guy she had matched up with on Tinder, that was his friend as well.

Around 1:40 a.m. (bars close at 2 a.m. here), the guy I was talking to tapped his friend and told him it was time to go. Since I do have a little bit of lack of self-confidence when it comes to guys (be burned waaaaaaay too many times), I felt like he was trying to end our conversation. Then he turns to me, gives me a hug, says "love you" (hahahaha), that it was nice to meet me and they leave.

So here is where I am - I felt like we had really good conversation, we were able to joke around, but I was confused why he didn't ask for my number. I'm not sure if that is a red flag, but maybe he could have just been drunk and ready to go and didn't even think about it. I know there are times I've wanted to ask a guy for their number but didn't, whether it was because I didn't think they were interested or I was drunk and didn't think about it. Even my friend was confused about him not asking for my number, since she said both her and his friend said that we looked like we were into each other.

The next day, I looked him up on FB. Turns out, a recent girlfriend of mine was FB friends with him. So I reached out to her to get the scoop. She said that he was a great guy and that she didn't think he had a girlfriend, but was looking. Then she asked what she could do to help and did I want his number? I told her I thought that may be too much, and I'm not one to EVER put myself in a situation for rejection, so because he didn't ask for mine, I was a little weary.

So I told her not to worry about it, that I didn't want to put her in the middle of it, and that I'd reach out to him. So early last week, I asked him to be FB friends. He accepted that day, but I didn't reach out and he didn't either. I told my girlfriend from that night that I wanted to ask him to get a drink, but she said she thought it would be best for me to wait until after our girl's trip to FL this past weekend, just to avoid appearing clingy/desperate. I also tossed back and forth the idea of not saying anything at all, but part of my New Year's resolution was to be more "to the point", especially when it comes to dating. One could say that if he was interested, he would reach out, but for all I know, he could be shy or think I wasn't interested. What do I have to lose?

So that brings me to today (long story, short, huh ).

I want to send him a message on FB to ask him to hang out. But I'm not sure what to say. And I have 2 options. I could ask him to grab a drink sometime this week, just him and I. Or, a couple of my guy friends were celebrating their birthday (they are twins) at a bar in my city. I could ask him if he wanted to meet us there (Its a HUGE party, its not like it is a small group of close friends).

And I wanted to say something like "Hey! I meant to reach out earlier but it was nice meeting you the other weekend at [bar name]. Not sure what your situation is, but I'd love to get a drink or something, maybe this week or weekend, if you're interested"

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,426 times
All this fear of rejection or looking clingy/desperate is going to get you exactly nowhere. You always risk rejection if you put yourself out there. It's a necessary component of dating.

So much drama over a guy you've met once. You're right, you have nothing to lose. It's April, so you better get cracking on that New Year's resolution, because from your post it sounds like you haven't started on it yet.

Asking him to a HUGE party probably isn't going to do the trick. BTW, doesn't Tinder allow you to get in touch with one another?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
All this fear of rejection or looking clingy/desperate is going to get you exactly nowhere. You always risk rejection if you put yourself out there. It's a necessary component of dating.

So much drama over a guy you've met once. You're right, you have nothing to lose. It's April, so you better get cracking on that New Year's resolution, because from your post it sounds like you haven't started on it yet.

Asking him to a HUGE party probably isn't going to do the trick. BTW, doesn't Tinder allow you to get in touch with one another?
I know, I know - You're right. I'm making it a bigger deal than it is.

I haven't matched with him on Tinder. It was my girlfriend who had matched up with the guy she was talking to. Apparently the guy I'm interested in is on Tinder but he hasn't come up in my matches yet.

So just ask him to get a drink, rather than the party? Is what I suggested as a message in my original response ok?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,865 times
Don't ask him through FB, I think that's weird but you can add him as a friend and start a conversation. Since you already met is not that strange.

Maybe in the middle of the conversation (chat) you can ask him about a group meeting (where are you gonna hang out this weekend?) and then you go there with your girlfriend and start a conversation with him, just ask for his number or better yet give your number to him and see his reaction. You can also find out through mutual friends where he is gonna be and then you show up there.

Good thing is you have friends in common with this guy, so it's not a "Raiders of the lost ark" type of "pursuing"...(sorry I like to throw movie innuendos from time to time just to make my point across) so it's best for you to go in a group outing to an event just as simple as going to a bar and talk to him and let's see what happens.

Contrary to popular belief, men are not wired equal to women, so it's flattering when a woman ask for my number, unless I'm "taken", it shows she has some degree of interest at least on friendship. Some men however like so much the pursuing a women givin out her number is just a sign of weakness or desperation, but not all.

The other "strategy" is to ask him for his number through a third party, but usually is the men doin' the call not the other way around, so it might turn creepy at the end.

Maybe in the US women do half of the "pickin' up style" often...but usually they tend to be very low key so they cannot give away the impression she is "needy".

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Stay off of facebook for anything remotely close to something that is a potential romantic relationship.
Get his number or send yours to him with a short message to feel free to use your number anytime.
Then see if he calls.

Do not ever ask for a date over the internet or through text, call someone and ask them or meet them for coffee and ask them if they would like to go for dinner, movie, walk in the park, picnic, bird watching, .............

Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,274,200 times
You're a female. Ask him out however you want and you will get good results. Send him your number and he will call. That simple.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 AM

150 posts, read 172,057 times
Don't play games. Straight up text him saying you met the other night and you're wondering if he wants to meet again.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM

75 posts, read 99,082 times
10 wild horses can't keep a guy away from a woman he is interested in. I'd say let him reach out first.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,274,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWindBlowing View Post
10 wild horses can't keep a guy away from a woman he is interested in. I'd say let him reach out first.
Exactly. You don't have to do the "song and dance" for 10 months before a first date like men have to.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM

I went ahead and sent a FB message to him. I said "Hi! I meant to reach out to you earlier, but it was nice meeting/talking to you the other weekend at [bar name]. I'd be interested in grabbing a drink or something sometime if you're interested".

I was going to say this week or weekend, but I wanted to clearly express my interest and then leave it to him to coordinate if he feels the same.

He has read it but no response yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships