Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

GENERALLY speaking, is there an age range that would be good for me based on this:
- calls more often than texts
- has no kids
- doesn't have to get drunk (but appreciates good good liquor)
- financially stable
- ready for commitment
- okay with having 1 kid

?????
I have a friend who is 42 and she says based off my personality and why I have problems with certain guys, is what I go for is more commonly found in 40s-early 50s.

2 years ago I dated a 40 year old and while our relationship didn't work out, he was like the above and wanted 1 kid because he was fatherless and getting older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Probably yep. I am in my 40's and most of that on the list I concure. Having a kid thing? not me s much but you never know. Still like to go out once in while but I have tamed down. Calling more than text, I am on the phone most of the day for work so understand I am not thrilled to be on the phone even more after but that depends on your guy.

You know it also depends on the state of your guy's mind and shape if you are going older. I generally get told I look 10 years younger than I am and I certainly act it.....usually. But when I get 65 and you are hitting your 40's well things might be different then which age might really create a rift then who knows. Because by then you might not see me as older but now see me as just old.

I will say I am more comfortable about myself as I have gotten older I consider this time to be the best in my life so far, but when the day comes 20 years from now well that kind of freaks me out about what happens to some men when real age starts creeping up.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 PM

373 posts, read 482,368 times
n/2+7 rule

E.g. for a 40 year old man, the youngest woman he should ideally have is a 27 y/o old.
For a 20 year old man, the woman should be no younger than 17 year old and so forth.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 PM

What does the n stand for?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
the younger end of generation X, 36-43
not as into texting as millennials
Guys in this age range who have not experienced fatherhood may want to have at least one. In my experience, when they go past mid 40s and have not had children they usually don't want any.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
n/2+7 rule

E.g. for a 40 year old man, the youngest woman he should ideally have is a 27 y/o old.
For a 20 year old man, the woman should be no younger than 17 year old and so forth.
Haha, I can't say I agree with that. I'm 32 and my girlfriend is 21. I think about a decade age difference is ideal in a lot of ways. For one, on a purely superficial level, guys and girls simply don't age the same. How many desirable actors are 50 years old? Quite a few. How many desirable actresses? A few. But if you compare 50s to 40s, 40s to 30s, etc. it just even looks like a more in-sync comparison. I look at the girls I went to high school with and had huge crushes on and my god almost every one of them has dropped from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 out of 10 in looks. I suppose part of that is also they have become "mom-ish" and that's just not a good look.

Especially for younger people, girls have just as much of a reason to want to date older guys. If I see a group of 18-year-old girls, I honestly cannot tell if they are 18 or 23 or 25 most of the time. But then enter a bunch of 18-year-old dudes and suddenly it's very clear that the prom dinner is being held at the local restaurant. Guys who are 18 look like little babies, no muscular development at all most of the time, just totally dorky and undesirable even if they are the best of their age group or whatever. I can't blame a girl for not wanting that. A boy only starts looking like a man around 19 or 20 if he works out and even then a lot better by 25.

It doesn't help the whole "dating the same age" argument that guys are biologically wired to like younger women and girls are wired to like more mature, "wise" men. They value different things and for me, it seems a fool's errand to fight nature.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:31 PM

127 posts, read 101,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
What does the n stand for?
The age of the older partner in the relationship.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 PM

So if I'm a 30F the ideal age for me is 45?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
There is no "ideal" age-gap, and for every pop-reference to supposed evolutionary advantages of a senior male with a junior female, there will be swift charge of misogyny or just of simplistic reasoning.

Lately for some inscrutable reason I've been dating women who are 5-7 years older than me. It has felt awkward and somehow inappropriate. I once dated a women who was some 11 years younger than me. In many regards it was a satisfying relationship, but she was rather flustered by my casual talk about early-retirement.

Perhaps only experience can impart unto us the "right" age difference. That unfortunately tends to entail making many mistakes.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:04 PM

609 posts, read 615,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
How many desirable actors are 50 years old? Quite a few. How many desirable actresses? A few. But if you compare 50s to 40s, 40s to 30s, etc. it just even looks like a more in-sync comparison. I look at the girls I went to high school with and had huge crushes on and my god almost every one of them has dropped from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 or 5 out of 10 in looks. I suppose part of that is also they have become "mom-ish" and that's just not a good look.
Wow, what an outlook you have on life.
So, what happens when your girlfriend puts on weight or gets pregnant or has some kind of accident? Suddenly she has no value anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships