Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:20 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

I have always taken it as it is meant, a compliment. I've been told that in relation to various hobbies or cerebral pursuits. Like video games are often seen as a "guy" hobby, and sharp wit and snark are not common qualities of the "fairer sex" I was once told.

My husband has made similar comments in the past, and in many ways his observation is correct. He hasn't come across many women that identify with skepticism (fewer female nontheists than male), is a cinephile/movie junkie and enjoys cerebral/intellectua discourse. We tend to discuss a lot of hot button issues, whereas past girlfriends avoided such things or had no interest at all. We like to banter back and forth, and it's fun for both of us. We're both INFP (or INTP). He had previously dated extroverts, and had a more difficult time finding someone he can relate to and was comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That's nonsense. Not everyone gets along with most girls, especially me. I mostly hated girls before my girlfriend. Lousy taste in music, films, higher chance they're religious, more emotional, less chance they know much about sports, and almost all wanting babies, that's a recipe for a group of people I'm not going to be too excited about, looks aside. When I say my GF is different it's a huge compliment - she isn't a mediocre baby factory who thinks The Notebook and 50 Shades of Grey are great films.

To be fair, I'm sure the average guy is a complete tool too but I've never really met any other girls I had anything in common with at all and besides the possibility of sex, if you're a very masculine guy it's not going to be easy meeting a girl who is very compatible / interesting.

Take it as a compliment - you don't suck.
Quote:
What ridiculous assumptions?! I had dated and talked to dozens of girls before and overall at least knew several hundred girls and most of them held absolutely no interest. It's not an unfair assumption that my movie tastes won't line up with most girls when you see Pitch Perfect 2 getting a 70% female audience, despite the first movie being one of the biggest piles of crap in history. When girls flock to that and Magic Mike and 50 Shades of Grey, forgive me for thinking I'm not going to agree with most girls on movie tastes! Not an assumption, a fact.
lol

Hmm... let's see.

I'm a nontheist
I have kids
Epic orchestral/film scores is my favorite genre of music, followed by rock, alternative and indie soul/blues (I pretty much listen to everything except rap -- 99% of it, and country)
I play MMOs and RPGs

I have not seen 50 Shades and have no desire to, and I have yet to see Pitch Perfect 2, but will likely redbox it or something. However, I do visit the movie theater weekly, and the last handful of movies I saw were: Kingsman, Ex Machina, Mad Max: Fury Road, Tomorrowland, Spy, and Avengers: Age of Ultron. I haven't seen a rom-com in the theater in, gosh, I can't even remember.

However, your observation is not too off base because even as a woman I don't know too many other women who are into my taste of movies, and most of those who are, are people like me -- introverted/gamers/cerebral... actual nerds/geeks. I'm also my husband's first partner that shares pretty much identical or very similar interests.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Well I don't even know what Pitch Perfect is, let alone there is a Pitch Perfect2 ?!?

I guess you're a little bit wrong there Jonathan

Old 06-08-2015, 04:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Trust me I've never had any issues with any girls talking to me in my adult life lol. Most girls DO fit the stereotype - that's why it exists - of mostly watching girly movies. Right now off the top of my head, all of my girlfriend's friends like stuff like Mama Mia and Pitch Perfect, so does her mom who has terrible taste in film lol god bless her, my sales and marketing lady won't even watch The Avengers with her husband because she won't give Marvel movies a shot (!), and my sister even has lousy taste in film lately. I can't literally think of even one girl aside from my girlfriend who knows anything about what actually makes a good movie. It's always just terrible romance garbage that they seem to eat up, even otherwise very smart women.
I know a guy at work that hates Marvel movies...won't even waych themail to make sure he hates them.......so by your logic all men don't like Marvel movies and don't know what goes into a good action flick.

Wow...it's real easy to make these ridiculous assumptions!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
It was a compliment. Good grief. No one, male or female, marries a person who is "just like" every other person they know. When/if you fall in love and marry someday, I hope it will be to someone extraordinary, some who rises above the others, someone who thinks you are special and not like the others.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Mod cut.

I think most people that aren't overly full of themselves will from time to time like atypical, for them, things in design or entertainment. It's the ones that won't expand their motions and make odd overly general assumptions that are really limiting themselves.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-10-2015 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Orphaned and off-topic.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
It was a compliment. Good grief. No one, male or female, marries a person who is "just like" every other person they know. When/if you fall in love and marry someday, I hope it will be to someone extraordinary, some who rises above the others, someone who thinks you are special and not like the others.
Everyone is their own unique person...it doesn't take insulting an entire gender...especiall based on false assumptions....to compliment an individual.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
I dont think its a compliment even if the guy might have thought it was when he said it. Guys want girls to be girls. Not acting like men.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
I dont think its a compliment even if the guy might have thought it was when he said it. Guys want girls to be girls. Not acting like men.
I doubt that's what he meant.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post

He didn't say that....he just thinks all "girls" are clueless airheads with bad taste in movies (acording to his tastes)...they aren't even women to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships