Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:06 PM

9 posts, read 7,254 times

Advertisements

is it bad to be emotional with your girlfriend?

i know some say a woman wants her man to be strong and all that but whats bad about showing emotion?

i had a rough childhood and never told my girlfriend till one night

i just lost it and told her everything. i felt embarassed but i coudnt help it. she held me and said it'll be ok

since then everythings been ok but i feel so unmanly now

anyone understand what i am saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:12 PM

720 posts, read 500,465 times
You'd have to be more specific, but generally speaking, there's nothing wrong with it. I think being "emotional" with women shows a certain amount of trust, and she'll feel closer to you for it. Now, I don't think women like an emotional guy who over-shares, because that's exhausting.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:13 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Strength and being in touch with your emotions are not mutually exclusive. The whole "be a man and keep emotions in check" has actually resulted in many being stunted in emotional maturity and how they relate to people who are close to them

Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalone View Post

i know some say a woman wants her man to be strong and all that but whats bad about showing emotion?

i just lost it and told her everything. i felt embarassed but i coudnt help it. she held me and said it'll be ok

Dude, you're [bleep]yourself. Lose that baggage about having to be "manly". Be you. As long as you don't break down or freak out as a regular thing, it's not a big deal. But it does sound like you have some stuff to get over. If the details of the rough childhood are on your mind a lot, or you feel like you need someone to talk to about it, some counseling sessions could help you unburden yourself and get past that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:30 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
Some would say that only real men can let their guard down and be vulnerable like that.

Seriously, as long as you're not weeping every time you see her, you're probably fine.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
It's ok man, that happens and doesn't make you unmanly I don't think. Heck my bench press one rep max is 275 and I've done similar.

I very, very rarely show my emotions besides I suppose anger usually while driving lol but otherwise I don't cry pretty much ever. But one night I had a few drinks and it was on a significant day for me, remembering my mom who died of breast cancer 9 years ago, and I lost it. That rarely ever happens because I had to be the strong one at the time and help my sister and whatnot but sometimes, you're a person too and things can be emotional. I don't think any good girlfriend would judge you for that. I think the length of time you've been with them makes a difference though.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:

As long as you don't cry over every little thing like a weak , no woman worth anything should have a problem with expressing a little emotion.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
I love that my husband isn't as emotional as I am for the most part. He really is my rock. But I also love that he isn't afraid to cry in front of me and that he can always be emotionally honest with me. I couldn't be with someone that didn't let anything affect them.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
I definitely understand, except I'm female. We've been together 18 years, but it's only on the last few years that I feel safe enough to tell him everything. It's terrifying to really truly confide all of that in someone, but if you have found someone who can handle that... it's the most amazing and beautiful thing in the world to be vulnerable with another person, and feel safe at the same time.
Quote:

Old 06-07-2015, 03:32 PM

818 posts, read 917,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I definitely understand, except I'm female. We've been together 18 years, but it's only on the last few years that I feel safe enough to tell him everything. It's terrifying to really truly confide all of that in someone, but if you have found someone who can handle that... it's the most amazing and beautiful thing in the world to be vulnerable with another person, and feel safe at the same time.
^^ That is 100% trust. Be glad you were able to experience it. Its a very rare thing these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships