Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 AM

10 posts, read 34,333 times

Advertisements

I posted on here about a month or so ago -- my last thread was really long so I'll try to keep this one on the short side. In essence, I dumped a girl that I'd been in 2 year, on-and-off relationship with. In the last "try" of the relationship, she told me she wanted an open relationship, and we agreed to give it a shot. I ended up meeting another girl through friends, and we hit it off. My ex then told me we should be just friends, but then did a 180 and ended up giving me an ultimatum: her or the new girl. Because I was confused about what my ex wanted and was interested in seeing where things could go with the new girl, I ended up dumping my ex. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. She cried and screamed on the phone when I broke up with her and told me she never wanted to speak to me again. It was terrible.

Fast forward to now - I have since broken up with the new girl for two reasons: she was a bit too clingy, and I could not stop thinking about my ex (think of the Chris Brown song "She Ain't You" - I felt this constantly). But even with the new girl out of the picture, I find that I am still thinking about my ex all of the time. I'm thinking about the "what ifs" and get reminded of her constantly. Songs, foods, obscure references...they all bring an image of her to my mind. I think about how she's changed from when I first broke up with her, how she's more career-oriented, driven, motivated, and how things would be different if we started things slowly and went exclusive (no more open relationships). See, at first I thought maybe the feelings were just nostalgia, but now, I am realizing that we both shared a deep love and understanding for each other. It pains me that these realizations are only becoming so clear now...hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I miss spending time with her, seeing her face, having adventures together. I wish I could tell her these things, but I am afraid that ship has long since sailed. She and I shared such an indescribable bond - we were lovers, best friends, confidants. I never thought I would feel more pain from dumping someone than any of the times I've been dumped. Every morning and every night, I think about her. I want the best for her but selfishly want to be a part of her life still. I just wish I knew what to do and how to do it. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I stand by my advice in post 4 of this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...sick-need.html

Leave her alone. You are seriously romanticizing the way things were. Y'all had your chance, and you couldn't pull it off then. Find something else to occupy your mind till you get over it.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
It's easy to recall all the good things after you break up with someone and let the bad stuff fade into the background. There was just so much freaking drama with this woman and she was constantly jerking you around. (My guess is the new woman seemed "clingy" because she was more straightforward and honest with you).

If it's the right person, it won't be that hard.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
take some time away from dating and focus on something that interests you.

Seriously...

That other women doesn't sound like a great option, just a "good enough" option for now.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureproof View Post
that ship has long since sailed.
Try to come to terms with this. Don't think of any other alternatives.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 34,333 times
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I understand that I'm not thinking rationally. I just didn't expect the decision to move on to hit me like a bag of bricks. I figured by now, I'd be over it. Maybe it's loneliness, maybe it's rose-colored lenses, but it just feels like more than that for some reason. I know contacting her would be pointless, but it bothers me that I can't get her off of my mind, even when I try staying occupied with other things. It's at the point where I fantasize things like meeting her for coffee and catching up. I know it's not healthy...I'm currently meeting with a counselor every few weeks to try to resolve these feelings.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think the only "what if" you need to think about is how you would have felt with her seeing a bunch of guys while you were still together.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-26-2015, 11:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureproof View Post

.I'm currently meeting with a counselor every few weeks to try to resolve these feelings.
Probabky should make that every week, at least for a little while.

This feeling is why so many people are so bad at finally breaking things off and overlapping relationships. It's hard to flat out leave and let yourself venture out there in the loneliness and unknown. But you have to keep telling yourself that it's for the best.

Don't go back for the temporary high that thinking about her brings. There's a reason you two didn't work.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Yeah, she wanted an open relationship. That should have said it all to you.

Oh, and get out of the dumpster.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
You arw only remembering the good, try to remember all the bad and maybe that's why it didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships