Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

I know a young couple where the groom's parents had some financial problems, mainly due to some serious health issues resulting in temporary unemployment, and the future bride refused to get married until the financial issues of his parents were discussed and "solved". I believe that she was worried that she and the son would have to support them (BTW, that was not the case, it was just a temporary financial glitch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
It would depend on their income, their age, and when they graduated. First of all, he has to make as much or more than I would. Once I'm done with school, I will probably start out at $65k.

I definitely would have to SERIOUSLY reconsider the following:
24 year-old who graduated 2 years ago and makes $30k w/ $100k in student loans
33 year-old who graduated 10 years ago and makes $80k w/ $30k in student loans

Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Would people give the same side-eye to somebody with a mortgage on a, say, $200K house? Or a monthly car payment that exceeds a monthly student loan payment in amount? Doubt it.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My student loan debt was less than the average person's car loan, so, not really a factor.

As is most people's. My children will graduate with a combined debt of a moderately priced car.

Would you marry a person who had taken out a loan on a 40 thousand dollar vehicle? My guess it that vehicle might even attract potential mates of a certain type.

But a car depreciates. An education does not.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:44 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Would people give the same side-eye to somebody with a mortgage on a, say, $200K house? Or a monthly car payment that exceeds a monthly student loan payment in amount? Doubt it.
For me the house would depend on the their income and their other debts... If the monthly car payment exceeded the monthly student loan payment, I would need them to sell it.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I have a very good amount of student debt, and I'll be getting married soon.

I make pretty good money and the debt does not affect my quality of life.

I am however debt free apart from the student loans.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:13 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
It would depend on their income, their age, and when they graduated. First of all, he has to make as much or more than I would. Once I'm done with school, I will probably start out at $65k.

I definitely would have to SERIOUSLY reconsider the following:
24 year-old who graduated 2 years ago and makes $30k w/ $100k in student loans
33 year-old who graduated 10 years ago and makes $80k w/ $30k in student loans

Where do you live that 80k is not a good salary?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
It's not the size of the debt that's important, it's how they use it.

My wife still has student loans from med school (@ 2% interest). I've got zero problems with it.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
As long as she keeps my head wet..... I don't really care at all about how much debt she have at all.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
This is kind of a silly issue.

Even if debt payments are fairly large, unless they're eating up your spouse's entire income, then they aren't hurting you, really. Moreover, most student loan debt leads to a higher income, or at least a higher quality of life (and thus a happier spouse).

Suppose Persona A marries Person B. Person A paid off her $50k student loan before getting married and now makes $50k per year. Person B has $100k of debt but makes twice as much money as a result of having a nice degree. The extra $1000 each month hurts, but that's only in the short run. Without the fancy degree, Person B's monthly salary would likely be lower by more than $1000. The debt still hurts when it's time to get a mortgage, but it's not enough to sink the deal.

Person B makes up for much of the student loan debt by driving a beater car.

Fast forward ten years. Now, Person B has no debt remaining, and the fancy degree has opened the doors to promotions. Person B now makes $200k per year, and Person A is able to retire.

Person A might have taken a slight financial risk by getting married, but the long-term picture was much easier for her.

Now, consider Person C and Person D. They both have $100k of debt and $35k salaries. This is painful, definitely, but they get married and combine their housing costs into one smaller bill. They are in dead-end fields with little room to advance. They have to be poor for a while. Their life together is tough, but their loans are still paid off in 15 years, after which they combine to make $100k per year. It's still an easier life for them.

Basically, don't throw your potential future family away over money. Unless you're married to someone with a gambling addiction or a drug problem, you're almost certainly better off financially being married. More importantly, every study ever done on the matter has concluded that a solid family is much more important to happiness than money, though money doesn't hurt. Passing on the thing that brings so much happiness to society as a whole just because you're going to have a tighter monthly budget is pretty silly.

I'll emphasize this again. If you're worried about student loan debt, just drive the cheapest car you can find, or, if possible, use a bike to commute. Even large student loan debts only take as much out of your budget as a car loan, and you can knock the car loan down to zero by buying something old and ugly (but not necessarily unreliable -- you can get a Toyota or Nissan or Hyundai or something that will last you for a hundred thousand miles for only a few thousand dollars). The expensive degrees cost as much as an expensive car. So, just make up for it by cutting the expensive car out of your daily life until you're making enough money to afford one (and then only get one if you value a nice car over whatever else you can get for $50k).

Some people will complain about student loans, but they'll ignore the $500/month car bill, $100/month for cable TV (really $100/month for ESPN, because in the age of unlimited online entertainment, cable is completely useless), and other wasteful expenditures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships