Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 04:09 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

If you're reasonably young, do you have a traditional relationship where the man is the primary breadwinner and the woman stays home, without or kids? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
What is "reasonably young"?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:30 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you're reasonably young, do you have a traditional relationship where the man is the primary breadwinner and the woman stays home, without or kids? Why or why not?
Me and my girlfriend just started dating. The age difference is 5 years and we both work but she makes more money than I do.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:30 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
What is "reasonably young"?
Let's say <40.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
I guess we kind of do have a "traditional" arrangement, with modifications. I worked while he finished college, and continued to work until we had our first kid. I've been home since then (although if I had to do it all over again I would have kept working part time), but I've also been using the time to finish my degree, as well as doing internships and freelance work. I'll be done with school next year, just in time for the youngest to start kindergarten, and at that point I will happily be going back to work.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,544 times
My husband and I are under 40 and we have what is considered a modified "traditional" marriage. We both worked when we got married and after a year I became pregnant; I worked until I was about 8 months along, went on maternity leave and then became a stay-at-home mom and I haven't looked back. My husband is the breadwinner (he pretty much always has been) and it works well for us. He works hard, I work hard, and we share family and household duties.

My husband actually told me that he wanted me to go back to work after our first child was going to be a few months old- that went out the window when he saw how much work a baby is and he couldn't bear the thought of our child being raised by strangers in daycare. I never intended to work outside of the home while our children were small anyway and just kept telling him to wait and see. Took him about 3 minutes after our daughter was born to realize I was right, LOL.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Well, I'm under 40 (barely) but my husband is over 40 - do we still count? He is the breadwinner and I take care of our small children. It works for us. We were in the same field of work and it has non-traditional hours. If we were both working, neither one of us would be here to put our kids to bed 5 nights out of the week. Like I said - this is what works for us. Once the youngest is in kindergarten, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'd love to get back into performing again - but the hours would be hard on us. We just take it one step at a time!

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I'm just under 40, my husband is just over. Our first child will be born in a couple of months. Our setup is a twist on traditional right now, but new for us. We've both always worked FT, but right now, he's working FT (more like FT and a half, because he's got a FT civilian job and is also a Navy Reserve senior chief), and I'm going to grad school FT. He's the primary breadwinner, b/c I'm making a stipend as a FT student. When my master's is finished, the plan is that I'll be going back to work FT.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Nope, although I know she'd love it!

We are late 20s/early30s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships