Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 33,536 times

Advertisements

It depends on how much I like the person, what got them into that situation and if they're willing to ever change it. Also are people on welfare still able to have a part time job? Or does being on welfare mean you NEVER work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Actually, a lot of people eligible for public assistance are disabled, whether developmentally or physically, and unable to work due to disability. Your categorization of people on public assistance as being "mostly low-class criminals/drug users" is pretty narrow.
You are absolutely right about what you said here.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Absolutely, someone who goes out of their way to not work and live off of welfare probably not good material to share your life with. Move on and avoid. However, I would not immediately write off someone just because they are on welfare. In my view, that's the equivalent of writing someone off because they don't make a 6 digit salary.
It has been my opinion that the majority of people that live on welfare in my city are lazy, uneducated and/or suffer from substance abuse issues. We have families that suffer generational welfare where the grandparent, parent and child have all been raised to live off the system. They tend to lack any kind of drive or ambition, have a grossly misguided sense of entitlement and have very checkered histories as a general rule. Not surprising, crime rates in the areas where these kinds of people live are much higher than in areas where they don't. As such, I wouldn't waste my time with a welfare case. There are plenty of fish in the sea, after all. No need to latch on to damaged goods.

Before you jump all over my blunt reply, I should mention that my wife got pregnant at 19 while attending college. After my step-son's father split the picture, she chose to keep her son and raise him on her own. She admits that she collected mother's allowance in order to finish school. After that, she got a job and despite the hardships that go hand-in--hand with a young, single mother raising a child on her own, she managed to stay off social assistance and today my step-son is a respectful, well-adjusted young man.

Being dealt a crappy hand in life is not a valid reason for giving up on life. If it matters, you'll find a way. If it doesn't, you'll find an excuse.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
It has been my opinion that the majority of people that live on welfare in my city are lazy, uneducated and/or suffer from substance abuse issues. We have families that suffer generational welfare where the grandparent, parent and child have all been raised to live off the system. They tend to lack any kind of drive or ambition, have a grossly misguided sense of entitlement and have very checkered histories as a general rule. Not surprising, crime rates in the areas where these kinds of people live are much higher than in areas where they don't. As such, I wouldn't waste my time with a welfare case. There are plenty of fish in the sea, after all. No need to latch on to damaged goods.

Before you jump all over my blunt reply, I should mention that my wife got pregnant at 19 while attending college. After my step-son's father split the picture, she chose to keep her son and raise him on her own. She admits that she collected mother's allowance in order to finish school. After that, she got a job and despite the hardships that go hand-in--hand with a young, single mother raising a child on her own, she managed to stay off social assistance and today my step-son is a respectful, well-adjusted young man.

Being dealt a crappy hand in life is not a valid reason for giving up on life. If it matters, you'll find a way. If it doesn't, you'll find an excuse.

So had you met your wife when she was 19, you would've pegged her for one of these lazy, uneducated, do-nothing people taking advantage of the welfare program?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:56 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
Heck no! If they're using food stamps to pay for my food, I'm technically paying for it. I'll pass.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
ohio_peasant made a good point...

The two that I know are single-mothers both of whom have been abandoned by their husbands. I would not be surprised if the statistics showed similar. I would say neither are lazy but probably married too young to the wrong scum bag.

One is college educated but her congenital ailments are physically limiting her (heart defibrillator and pacemaker etc). She does get some money house sitting and checking up on summer homes but has been warned not to drive too much because an episode could result in a car accident. She make enough for food but has assistance for housing and the state pays for medical for her daughter. I actually met her through my wife... they worked together before things went downhill for her. She's become an aunt of sorts to my children. My children love spending time with her.

I wanted to hire her as a nanny because daycare is $3k a month for twins. However she didn't feel comfortable being responsible for them because of her condition. Her episodes used to be a hand full times a year... its now head full every month. Kinda sucks because I think daycare is way over priced.

The other is almost self sustaining with some work. However her apartment and children's medical is subsidized. So she pays for all expenses but the two biggest expenses are at a steep discount to her. I did date her for a while and remained friends afterwards.

There are many reasons to be on welfare. While there are a people milking the system, you should judge each person individually. Dating is the same way... individually. There are more than enough lazy and entitled people holding jobs and not living on welfare that also should be avoided.

Last edited by usayit; 08-07-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Absolutely not. If they are working FT and need food stamps that is one thing I can overlook. If they are sitting on their a&$ at home all day waiting for the first of the month, hell naw. If my fat lazy a$@ can work 40 hours at a job to pay rent and groceries I expect the same out of anyone I date.
This person ^ said what I would have said, and probably said it better than I would have.
In my opinion, there's a huge difference between a person who works hard but needs assistance like food stamps, and one who does nothing.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:49 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
no

Usually lower class, uneducated and probably never finished high school, and they almost always have some type of criminal record or use drugs.

I wouldnt have anything in common with them, those type of people are the welfare class, they probably grew up on some type of Government assistance, I always stay away from those types.

people like that usually date other people in the same social class
That's an out of date argument you have there. the people you are describing are actually getting off welfare in large numbers, companies view them as tax breaks and potential wage slaves. The people entering the welfare roles these days are people who used to have good jobs but were downsized,or have plenty of education, but in shrinking fields that got over saturated thanks to colleges and trade schools pushing certain industries that had a shortage at the time thus driving down wages in said fields to unlivable levels. I had ex who worked for a private human resources firm, she said the number one reason these days people don't get the job is "being over qualified" based on education and previous income. because many employers don't want to invest time and resources in someone who will quit as soon as the economy turns around or something opens up in their field.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM

479 posts, read 431,902 times
If I liked the person, yes... I certainly wouldn't rule out dating a person just because I found out they were on welfare. I'd get to know them and then decide where to go with things.
Some of the look-down-your-noses replies here make me almost wish all you prejudgers out there... would suddenly loose your source of income... or perhaps get diagnosed with a debilitating illness, or something. Geez. What a compassionate crowd.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Enterprise Inc View Post
Uses food stamps to buy you food
If she is in the process of improving her education/skill set(s) in order to get a job and get off welfare, then yes. If she's sitting on the couch eating Cheetos bought with her food stamps and complaining about the system, then no.

[why is she buying me food?]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships