Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,840 times

Advertisements

On Youtube and sometimes in real life you will find people who sell themselves as datine experts. The funny thing is that they never talk about looks -- or if they do, they say looks hardly matter -- and yet they themselves are always naturally good-looking or put a lot of effort in to looking good.

For example, here's a pair of dating experts giving us advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW4FryNpIWw

Years back there was a meme that deals with this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM

291 posts, read 273,805 times
Don't take advice from people who sell their advice

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
I'm not into alpha males, and never have been. These strategies wouldn't work on me. lol

And, yeah, videos like this fail to mention that looks/appearance plays a huge role and of course most would rather take dating advice from attractive people.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:53 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
I don't find the man in the video to be the least bit attractive. Neither his face nor the way he is standing so arrogantly do a thing for me, and neither does the sleazy wink. Ick, ick, ick.

Is it easier for attractive people? Yes--in every aspect of life, including friendships, work, and interacting with the world. Life isn't fair, so you need to learn to work with what you've got. Start by not comparing yourself to others.

Mod cut.

Then stop comparing yourself to others.

You don't know what kind of inner demons they grapple with, or what their health status is. They could have problems that make your dating challenges seem like a walk in the park.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-11-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
I've always said attractive people giving unattractive people dating tips doesn't work..

Good looking people already have people attracted to them from the get go and their job is just too not f it up and kill the attraction by saying something stupid..

The unattractive person has to go through tons of rejection and jump through hoops having to get to know a person a long time and hope attraction eventually builds with someone just in hopes to get a first date..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Yeah. Like a skinny person who has never had a problem with weight gain telling a. heavy person how to lose weight.

What's the phrase? "Easy for you to say."

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I don't find the man in the video to be the least bit attractive. Neither his face nor the way he is standing so arrogantly do a thing for me, and neither does the sleazy wink. Ick, ick, ick.

Is it easier for attractive people? Yes--in every aspect of life, including friendships, work, and interacting with the world. Life isn't fair, so you need to learn to work with what you've got. Start by not comparing yourself to others.

[snip]

Then stop comparing yourself to others.

You don't know what kind of inner demons they grapple with, or what their health status is. They could have problems that make your dating challenges seem like a walk in the park.
Your advice is good, and while I disagree with the sentiment expressed in the portion I bolded, it's commonly expressed in situations like this.

While what's bolded is certainly a possibility, it's also possible that the person has good health. In fact with all the advantages good looking people have, why wouldn't their lives be a bit less stressed, their interactions with health care providers a bit more thorough, etc.

Again, none of that changes the quality of your advice. The best anyone can do is to live his or her life as is. And very good looking people have health challenges and so on, but I do think a case could be made that they have fewer, if there's any difference, so it just doesn't ring true.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-11-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
The more I walk through life....the more I feel there is no such thing as "expert" dating advice.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarUnlitUnknown View Post
On Youtube and sometimes in real life you will find people who sell themselves as datine experts. The funny thing is that they never talk about looks -- or if they do, they say looks hardly matter -- and yet they themselves are always naturally good-looking or put a lot of effort in to looking good.

Anyone can put effort into looking good. Be careful comparing that to someone who is naturally good looking.

Any general advice is just a one size fits all approach. People are not one size, and the generalized advice never fits all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships