Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
This is about my boyfriend. Hes jobless and in my opinion not doing enough to find a job. The problem is that he feels as though i am putting him down,which i dont feel is the case. He wants me to comfort him and tell him that everything will be ok but is that really the right thing to do when i clearly know that if he doesnt put in more effort things wont be ok?i feel like that would be lying to him just to make him feel better about being too lazy.
He barely looks for jobs so i am not exaggerating or trying to be a *****.what should i do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,777,002 times
Well if he is able to pay the bills and has a plan then let it be but if he doesn't than I'd be on him too. I'd say you either get a job by X or we will have to be done since I cannot support the both of us. Although I think I'd get rid of him at this point since he doesn't seem to be too motivated.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:40 AM

388 posts, read 384,068 times
Since he's jobless, who is supporting him and paying for his bills OP?

Tell him you'll support him but he needs to man up.

I was in a similar situation jobless some years ago OP. Actually being in a relationship gave me laser focus and motivation I got my act together quickly. You have to decide how long you can put up with him like this if he barely looks for jobs.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:47 AM

151 posts, read 159,800 times
Can't blame someone for not wanting to work. If he has means of getting by, let him be.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,250,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona82 View Post
Hi everyone.
This is about my boyfriend. Hes jobless and in my opinion not doing enough to find a job. The problem is that he feels as though i am putting him down,which i dont feel is the case. He wants me to comfort him and tell him that everything will be ok but is that really the right thing to do when i clearly know that if he doesnt put in more effort things wont be ok?i feel like that would be lying to him just to make him feel better about being too lazy.
He barely looks for jobs so i am not exaggerating or trying to be a *****.what should i do
This is not about your boyfriend. You can't make him do what he doesnt want to do.

This is entirely about YOU. You should do what you want to do. Either stay with him and continue to support him, or leave. Pretty simple.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
This is not about your boyfriend. You can't make him do what he doesnt want to do.

This is entirely about YOU. You should do what you want to do. Either stay with him and continue to support him, or leave. Pretty simple.
Correct. He's not your child, OP. How "strict" you are has no actual bearing on his life.

You need to decide what works for you and if he is part of that.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM

491 posts, read 403,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaWilde View Post
Since he's jobless, who is supporting him and paying for his bills OP?

Tell him you'll support him but he needs to man up.

I was in a similar situation jobless some years ago OP. Actually being in a relationship gave me laser focus and motivation I got my act together quickly. You have to decide how long you can put up with him like this if he barely looks for jobs.
Exactly. Does he have a trust fund, or is he independently wealthy from developing some breakthrough idea, and he doesn't have to work? Doesn't sound like it...

If it's important to you that he contributes to the household, then he probably should be putting some significant effort into the job search. Times are tough, and it's not easy for many people to get a job. But a job isn't going to come knocking on the door. He's got to go out there, and get one. If you're paying the bills, you need to decide how long his free ride is going to last. Tell him to treat the job search like a job. Set the alarm every morning, put on his job hunting clothes, out the door by 8 AM, filling out applications or dropping off resumes or whatever the case may be, home for lunch and then back at it again. If he has the kind of job that requires a lot of online searching, he should still get up, get dressed, and do it from a library or somewhere similar. Fewer distractions.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Hi everyone.
Find a new boyfriend or keep this one.

The solution is not that complicated, make a decision and follow through with your decision.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,499,572 times
Quote:
...what should i do
Do better.

[kick him to the curb]

Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,917 times
Thank you all... I guess im gonna have to move on. I never had a problem supporting him but now that he got mad and took his anger out on me last night im gonna have to let it go. For my own Safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships