Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 3,758 times

Advertisements

An example: early in our relationship I invited myself to her hotel room for tea after a date. This was an important step that accelerated the relationship forward; at the same time she is upset I wasn't considerate enough: a colleague of her might have seen me or the walls of the room might have been too thin (although nothing happened that night).

I find myself in a paradoxical situation. I often take the lead in situations, which I feel are important for the relationship, and, at the time, she enjoys them. Then, after a few days, prompted by her mother, regret kicks in. If it was for her mother, we wouldn't even kiss untill we are married.

She also expresses dislike for my "dominance" in small things like me being the first to end the phone call. She sometimes even accuses me of things that seem unreasonable -- like "I want to control her". I am quite liberal and couldn't care less about that. She is a feminist. I often find myself in leadership positions at work, am described as a good leader in social dancing; at the same time I have had it said than I am pushy, lack empathy, am goal-orientated, too confident and unwilling to compromise.

Last edited by Leopold_Bloom; 10-24-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:00 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
The last sentence: do you believe those things to be true?

From what I'm getting, she lets you lead but then gets frustrated days later? Sounds like she feels like she is losing autonomy. It also sounds like you don't feel that way and you do value her opinion, but she isn't offering it. Am I right?

Maybe offer her some opportunities to make decisions first. Some people just have difficulty making them.

Also, as with anything, communicate with her about the issue to find out what would make her feel better.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
My neighbors across the street have that type of dynamic. She's managerial type A personality and the husband is very laid back. Its a funny dynamic that even they recognize and poke fun at.

It doesn't seem to bother him much and she knows when to stop pushing it.... but the key is that they are both tolerant of each other's personalities. No idea how they manage to evolve their relationship to that point.. but they did.

I tend to make most of the decisions in our family... but it doesn't mean my wife doesn't have influence (except when it comes to children... she's the dominant decision maker). Even if I already "know the answer" we go through the motions of discussing and hashing out as a couple. It doesn't matter that we arrived at the same answer. The key is that we arrived at the answer together... my wife feels like she is apart of the process.

PS> The "unwilling to compromise" part, if true/accurate, is going to be a killer in many of your relationships.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
How do you know you are her Mr. Right?

Why does she have to adapt? She could leave you. You said she's a feminist. Feminists are not wilting flowers. They often have strong willed exteriors.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
The last sentence: do you believe those things to be true?

From what I'm getting, she lets you lead but then gets frustrated days later? Sounds like she feels like she is losing autonomy. It also sounds like you don't feel that way and you do value her opinion, but she isn't offering it. Am I right?

Maybe offer her some opportunities to make decisions first. Some people just have difficulty making them.

Also, as with anything, communicate with her about the issue to find out what would make her feel better.
She often does in fact feel (and says verbally) that she is losing autonomy, that is becoming too dependent on me, that she can't say no to me. She also often complains that she doesn't have a firm stance of her own, be it decisions or even views on global affairs.

The last sentence. I think those things are quite objective: I can be pushy and overly confident; but I am willing to work on those things. I think I am capable of compromise, although probably it is not my default position.

I think some pushiness was needed for the relationship to progress; but now would want to create a stable equilibrium where we both feel that our needs are being met.

Last edited by Leopold_Bloom; 10-24-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 09:40 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold_Bloom View Post
She often does in fact feel (and says verbally) that she is losing autonomy, that is becoming too dependent on me, that she can't say no to me. She also often complains that she doesn't have a firm stance of her own, be it decisions or even views on global affairs.

The last sentence. I think those things are quite objective: I can be pushy and arrogant; but I am willing to work on those things.

I think some pushiness was needed for the relationship to progress; but now would want to create a stable equilibrium where we both feel that our needs are met.
Have you asked her what will make her feel better about these types of situations going forward? It's better to be proactive beforehand than being reactive when a situation occurs.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My neighbors across the street have that type of dynamic. She's managerial type A personality and the husband is very laid back. Its a funny dynamic that even they recognize and poke fun at.

It doesn't seem to bother him much and she knows when to stop pushing it.... but the key is that they are both tolerant of each other's personalities. No idea how they manage to evolve their relationship to that point.. but they did.

I tend to make most of the decisions in our family... but it doesn't mean my wife doesn't have influence (except when it comes to children... she's the dominant decision maker). Even if I already "know the answer" we go through the motions of discussing and hashing out as a couple. It doesn't matter that we arrived at the same answer. The key is that we arrived at the answer together... my wife feels like she is apart of the process.

PS> The "unwilling to compromise" part, if true/accurate, is going to be a killer in many of your relationships.
My girlfriend articulated something similar. It is not that she didn't like the outcomes of my decisions and on some level she even wanted me to take that lead. What she feels is that she does not have the option to say no, that she is not consulted enough. I find this very confusing -- I feel we do talk about everything. She says that she feels that my default position from the get go is that I am right and that bothers her. I guess I need to work on making her feel more part of the decision making process.

Last edited by Leopold_Bloom; 10-24-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 11:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold_Bloom View Post

She says that she feels that my default position from the get go is that I am right and that bothers her. I guess I need to work on making her feel more part of the decision making process.
Um, yes. That is essential in any relationship. At least show that you CONSIDER her feelings.

The way you write makes you sound like a robot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships