Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times

Advertisements

Many women (myself included) would not be compatible with a man who is by nature shy and insecure about himself. By compassion, do you mean we should date you types anyway, so we won't hurt your feelings?

I am not sure what you are asking for here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 AM

241 posts, read 189,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
By compassion, do you mean we should date you types anyway, so we won't hurt your feelings?
I'm assuming yes. We're now seeing the product of decades of parental coddling, participation trophies, and telling every boy he's a special snowflake. Now you have an entire generation of "men" who can't handle rejection from women or failure in the real world. These "men" would be better off dead since women, businesses, and society in general have no use for them. Harsh but true. Survival of the fittest has always been the name of the game and today is no different.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:20 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
I'm assuming yes. We're now seeing the product of decades of parental coddling, participation trophies, and telling every boy he's a special snowflake. Now you have an entire generation of "men" who can't handle rejection from women or failure in the real world. These "men" would be better off dead since women, businesses, and society in general have no use for them. Harsh but true.
Obligatory "it's not just men that do this" post. Normally, I don't feel the need to do that, but your post had a tone that suggested that it's only men who behave this way. My apologies if that wasn't the intent.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,323 times
I'm attracted to the semi-shy guy; the one who acts really nervous around me, but once I get to know him, he's actually quite confident.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Obligatory "it's not just men that do this" post. Normally, I don't feel the need to do that, but your post had a tone that suggested that it's only men who behave this way. My apologies if that wasn't the intent.
That may be true, but for the most part, it's not women who are crying about not being given a chance by the opposite sex. The participation trophy culture has turned a lot of men into whiny sissies who wouldn't be able to attract women even if they had any redeeming qualities (which a lot of them don't).

Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I've never dated anyone because I felt sorry for them. Wouldn't that be cruel? I wouldn't want anyone to date me out of pity. I want to date people that I am really into - and I want the people I'm dating to be really into me. Romance isn't about compassion. I can be compassionate as a friend. But I'm not going to date someone out of compassion. Who would that be helping? How long should it last? 1 date? 5 dates? Should I wait until he says, "I love you" and then say, "Oh… Gee… Well, I was only dating you to show you some compassion. I'm not really attracted to you…"

Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
That may be true, but it's not women who are crying about not being given a chance by the opposite sex. The participation trophy culture has turned a lot of men into whiny sissies who wouldn't be able to attract women even if they had any redeeming qualities (which a lot of them don't).
Oh, it's definitely both. The counter product is princess syndrome, where women feel entitled to a variety of things simply by nature of existing. It's a problem with both genders, each with their own special flair about it.

Where you see men complaining they're not given a chance, you see women complaining that there are "no good men" out there. In the former, the men need to take the initiative to make themselves more chance-worth. In the latter, women need to readdress their definition of what a "good man" is.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I've never dated anyone because I felt sorry for them. Wouldn't that be cruel? I wouldn't want anyone to date me out of pity. I want to date people that I am really into - and I want the people I'm dating to be really into me. Romance isn't about compassion. I can be compassionate as a friend. But I'm not going to date someone out of compassion. Who would that be helping? How long should it last? 1 date? 5 dates? Should I wait until he says, "I love you" and then say, "Oh… Gee… Well, I was only dating you to show you some compassion. I'm not really attracted to you…"
A lot of people subconsciously believe that "if they were just given a chance, then surely all those other factors would go away and they'd love me for who I am". Obviously, that's mostly not a thing. But men and women wish for it in ridiculous numbers.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 AM

914 posts, read 766,462 times
Op, it has nothing to do with lack of compassion. A shy man, any man, must find the confidence to approach and pursue the women that they desire. If he does not, she will never even know who he is to decide whether she would like him or not. She simply will never know someone who doesn't approach her, until he actually does. Just like wanting a job; is a person who never goes on any job interviews being shown a lack of compassion by the employers who haven't hired them? No! Just approach her, give yourself a chance to be known and don't hang all of your expectations on just one. Go for what you want, it's either that or turn into a lonely bitter old man. The sad part is, it's all in your control.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Go for what you want, it's either that or turn into a lonely bitter old man. The sad part is, it's all in your control.
The bolded part cannot be emphasized enough. Men can easily control if women are attracted to them, and as such, have no excuses if they remain single for the rest of their lives. They just need to have confidence and everything will fall into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships