Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times

Advertisements

This is all true. I myself am a guy (not married), and have known many men to act like whiny, crying little babies when their marriages are going south, and then they typically will rush right into another marriage after that - obviously they can't stand to be alone for too long.

Conversely, I have known some older women who have been divorced for years, and either wait a long longer to get re-married, or don't get re-married. Interesting contrast...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 12-16-2015 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Men frequently remarry quickly after divorce because they are, generally speaking, less adept at forming social support networks after relationships end and aren't great at keeping them up while in the relationship. So, they find themselves uncomfortably alone. Women's experience tends to be the opposite. In general. Women don't always mind going into their later years solo, because they've nurtured social connections and aren't really alone. Comparatively fewer men are in that boat.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 PM

252 posts, read 187,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I didn't ask for data on anecdotal statements or opinions. I asked for them on statements that were portrayed as fact, and additionally, the poster stated that they had done a decade of research on the topic. So, I asked for further info on that research.

It doesn't seem to support it at all, actually. But you're entitled to your opinion. I, thankfully, see few divorces, but almost all have been initiated by men.
It's quite simple really. Basic statistics. If women file more the odds are that they also initiate more.

Unless your admitting men are women ARE *gasp* biologically different and think and act in different ways.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Men frequently remarry quickly after divorce because they are, generally speaking, less adept at forming social support networks after relationships end and aren't great at keeping them up while in the relationship. So, they find themselves uncomfortably alone. Women's experience tends to be the opposite. In general. Women don't always mind going into their later years solo, because they've nurtured social connections and aren't really alone. Comparatively fewer men are in that boat.
It's why if I ever did get into a relationship/marriage, I wouldn't neglect my social support. Seems like a lot of guys do this, and I never get why.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It's why if I ever did get into a relationship/marriage, I wouldn't neglect my social support. Seems like a lot of guys do this, and I never get why.
I've never understood this either. A lot of guys get into a serious relationship and/or marriage and then abandon their friendships and spend all their non-working hours with the person they are in a relationship with. I've never done this, and even now being in a relationship for over a year, I still go out with friends once a week anyway. It doesn't even have to be a divorce. What if she dies suddenly and he has no support network at all? This happened to an uncle of mine, and he drank himself into a stupor and died a few years later. Pretty sad. I've always vowed I'll never let this happen to me.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Quote:
That's wise. I'll also add that if you ever marry, try not to neglect your spouse/marriage either. Seems like a lot of married people do, which puzzles me considering how damaging and traumatic divorce is.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
People who do it (not just men) do it because it's easy. Maintaining friendships takes effort. Neglecting them takes none.

Same for those who neglect relationships/marriage, really.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
You don't attract what you want, you attract what you are! People need to really understand that concept and a lot of their problems would be eliminated.
No, that's not always the case. Sociopaths looooooove people with high empathy. Abusers loooooooove gentle people. Addicts and deadbeats looooooooove enablers.

OP sounds like she's an enabler, actually.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My ex-BF did that. After we were together for a few years, he really let his friendships slide, to the point where he alienated a number of his buddies. I had nothing to do with it, other than I guess he felt that he found someone to be his true self around and didn't need to keep up pretenses with his friends. If anything, I tried to push him to go out with the good ones who had their acts together.

We broke up after quite a few years together, and a couple of months later, he started dating someone else, and within six months they were engaged. Then he knocked her up and there was no turning back, though I suspect the two of them pretty much trapped each other and are both in for a very rude awakening--her with not being able to "fix" his emotional issues and him with the fact that she put on a ton of weight even before she got pregnant and was probably already classified as obese. (This is a guy who likes them curvy, but thin.) They weren't dating a year when they got married, and now there's a newborn in the mix. Good luck with that. One of my friends took a look at their picture the other night and said, "He looks like a miserable human being and her smile isn't a smile. It's a smirk."

I love the sound of bullets whizzing overhead as I dodge them like Neo in the Matrix...

Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninternetguy View Post
It's quite simple really. Basic statistics. If women file more the odds are that they also initiate more.

Unless your admitting men are women ARE *gasp* biologically different and think and act in different ways.
No women are more prone to file first so they can get things in order, such as child support but they are not most often the initiators of ending the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships