Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times

Advertisements

I'm very liberal in this instance...

I for one would have no problem dating a single/divorced mom. The key is, just be yourself! When you meet her children, show some interest in their activities, treat them respectfully, and speak evenly with them! - by that I mean always, always speak TO them, never AT them! Kids are smart and they know if you're b.s.-ing them! Remember also that you are the "New kid on the block"; you are not in the dad role, you are mom's boyfriend. They already have a father! In the end, they should be respectful of you, provided that you treat them, and their mom, well! You may not always agree with them, nor they you, but you can agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 AM

181 posts, read 168,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The cavemen are the ones who assume that children are another man's baggage/spawn etc. That is an ignorant, vulgar viewpoint.
Translation- If you don't agree w/ me, you're ignorant & vulgar.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
I also want to add that there will be disappointments in terms of the two of you having time together. Kids home from school (sick); parent-teacher conferences, recreational and other activities centered on the kids, homework, the list goes on. You'll just have to ride them out. Intimacy will not be a priority at times. The kids come first! Now and always.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
I'm a man with no kids. I prefer to date women with no kids. It is just a better fit. This does not make me an ignorant caveman.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm a man with no kids. I prefer to date women with no kids. It is just a better fit. This does not make me an ignorant caveman.
True, because you made your stance clear (reasonable) without insulting and putting down anyone else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2015, 11:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Exclamation Fixed That Right Up For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
Translation- If you don't agree w/ me, you're ignorant & vulgar.
Translation-she's right...what's more, there seems to be a proliferation on here lately, of folks who like to woof and act like Internet Tarzans from the imagined safety of the Internet

Knowing full well, of course, that if they ever grew a set and a spinal column and tried to step to someone in real life and run their mouth, it wouldn't end well at all

Back on topic---I myself am the product of the union of TWO single parents...my mother and father both had kids when they met each other back in the day...not ONCE did my old man flinch about taking on responsibility of/for my sister, nor my mother for my two older brothers...not freakin' once...

I would have paid money to have been back in the day and seen some of these 'brave ' souls trying to tell Catfish Sr he needed to 'run and not raise someone else's spawn'...my father, like me, was not about nonsense of any kind, and would have dealt with them (as Joe Clark famously said) 'expeditiously'

The takeaway here, you ask? Unless you have walked a mile in the OP's shoes, or any of the other men and women here who are, or have been thinking about, dating someone with kids, then you need to go somewhere and shut the rhymes-with-truck up, and keep your whiny, nasty, 6th grade comments to yourself...because you know that's ALL you're gonna do, is waste bandwith on a chat forum

Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm very liberal in this instance...

I for one would have no problem dating a single/divorced mom. The key is, just be yourself! When you meet her children, show some interest in their activities, treat them respectfully, and speak evenly with them! - by that I mean always, always speak TO them, never AT them! Kids are smart and they know if you're b.s.-ing them! Remember also that you are the "New kid on the block"; you are not in the dad role, you are mom's boyfriend. They already have a father! In the end, they should be respectful of you, provided that you treat them, and their mom, well! You may not always agree with them, nor they you, but you can agree to disagree.
So I take it you have NOT dated a single mother before.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Not worth it.

Find another child free individual, unless you feel like being 2nd (or in this case 3rd) in the relationship!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Not worth it.

Find another child free individual, unless you feel like being 2nd (or in this case 3rd) in the relationship!

That's life. You are not always going to be #1 all the time to anyone.

I'm perfectly fine being 2nd or 3rd priority, I'm an adult and I can fend and entertain myself.

Though I have to give DH kudos, somehow he makes everyone feel like #1.

Now I have to think about that....

DH wants kids and I happy,
I want DH and kids happy,
Kids want DH and I happy......

That's why it works.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2015, 11:40 AM

181 posts, read 168,276 times
I'm out. Make treats to me in RL, see what happens to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships