Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 07:17 PM

583 posts, read 713,401 times

Advertisements

I know that constant complaining ruins a relationship. What do you classify as complaining? What do you consider to be a legitimate concern your partner is bringing to your attention? Or do they both mean the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:40 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I know that constant complaining ruins a relationship. What do you classify as complaining? What do you consider to be a legitimate concern your partner is bringing to your attention? Or do they both mean the same thing?
Whatever I feel the need to discuss with Mr. CSD or he with me that we consider a concern that is legitimate that also stays between us since we are the only ones involved.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
It depends on the couple.

I believe they need to figure out their own differences rather than bringing in third parties. No one knows what is going on inside that relationship but the two people that are involved.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Complaining and venting about a legit concern are totally different.

Venting should be temporary. You should feel better afterward, and you should work toward a solution.

Complaining never really ends. It's a state of mind. For whatever reason, usually attention, the complainer does it because they NEED to. They use the unfortunate listener as an outlet for all their negative emotions. It's a self-centered, using mentality.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:42 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
I find that when something needs to be said ( and not everything needs to be mentioned) it's HOW it is said that makes the difference.

For example: one could say "Honey, I noticed the grass was getting tall, would you be a sweetheart and cut it while I make you something to eat?"

Or...

"When's the last time you been out back? The yard isn't that big! Would it kill you to cut the grass just once every two weeks?"

Do you see the difference?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:07 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Complaining and venting about a legit concern are totally different.

Venting should be temporary. You should feel better afterward, and you should work toward a solution.

Complaining never really ends. It's a state of mind. For whatever reason, usually attention, the complainer does it because they NEED to. They use the unfortunate listener as an outlet for all their negative emotions. It's a self-centered, using mentality.
I agree. Complaining is a state of mind. A complainer is somebody who is ineffective in communicating their complaint and is ineffective in getting their needs met. Also, a complainer doesn't like it when somebody complains about them, thus breaking down the relationship even further.

I am not a complainer but many in my family are complainers. I do my best to address their complaints. However, when I have a concern and they ignore it....lets just say that I always get what I want.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:35 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I agree. Complaining is a state of mind. A complainer is somebody who is ineffective in communicating their complaint and is ineffective in getting their needs met. Also, a complainer doesn't like it when somebody complains about them, thus breaking down the relationship even further.

I am not a complainer but many in my family are complainers. I do my best to address their complaints. However, when I have a concern and they ignore it....lets just say that I always get what I want.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
If it's important stuff, sure. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be addressed.

But the constant, low-grade whining is something entirely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships