Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

Besides marriage, can you think of anything where you would commit to it for the rest of your life? You can have kids, but those kids grow up and have lives of their own. You're a part of their lives, but they're no longer your responsibility. You can adopt a cat or a dog, but it won't live more than two decades. You can go to work at a job, but you're free to change jobs. You can even change careers if you're tired of the one you have. You can buy a house and live there for 30 years, but then sell it. I'm trying to think of something that once you commit to it, you're expected to honor that commitment til the day you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Besides marriage, can you think of anything where you would commit to it for the rest of your life? You can have kids, but those kids grow up and have lives of their own. You're a part of their lives, but they're no longer your responsibility. You can adopt a cat or a dog, but it won't live more than two decades. You can go to work at a job, but you're free to change jobs. You can even change careers if you're tired of the one you have. You can buy a house and live there for 30 years, but then sell it. I'm trying to think of something that once you commit to it, you're expected to honor that commitment til the day you die.
Here's one: living a life of dignity, respect for oneself and others, and staying committed to being a better person each and everyday?

And/or making an attempt to live a fulfilling life and giving back in some small way somehow to ease the pain of others?

I think when people make a commitment to something in life, the commitment usually worth staying truthful and loyal to involves another person or people for whom we want happiness with and for. Interconnection.

Acts of kindness.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Nada. Well, maybe personal intangible things like you're mental/physical health.

It's why I don't understand the concept/construct of marriage.

It just doesn't quite make sense in the scheme of life and the way people are wired.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM

387 posts, read 589,474 times
Almighty God

Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
Almighty God
I looked for God. I got a 404 error.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
When I think of people who stay committed til the day I die, I think of people who sacrifice their entire life, literally, for the goodness, equality, and fair treatment of others.

Or people seeking truth. Scientists, poets, artists.. they die for a belief and a cause.

People who make it in the history books as heroes of non-suffering and violence, diplomats.

And, no one fictional. Real people like: Helen Keller, Einstein, Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, Maya Angelou.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Anybody who says children are not a lifetime commitment has never had children. Sure, you're not feeding them and wiping their butts, but you still feel a deep and pervasive sense of commitment to their wellbeing.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Learning

Travel, maybe

Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
I'm committed to my health, and happiness.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Happiness and Peace.

I have to achieve that. It's a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships