Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:52 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,830,658 times

Advertisements

One thing the OP isn't considering. She has to be MARRIED to this guy for 10 years before she'd be eligible for his SS payments. He's got to be at least 62 if he's eligible for SS. If he drops dead before 72 (assuming they get married tomorrow), she'll lose his SS payments which according to her is the bulk of their monthly income. She'll still get SS payments for her minor child, but his SS payments and most likely his pension payments will be gone. She's putting her child at financial risk if she doesn't have a job. But, I guess her statement that you have to set aside your "dreams" once you have a child doesn't apply when her "dream" of not working is the one taking the hit.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,194,488 times
Something makes me feel
like the dude didn't know what
he was signing up for......

Poor guy

Old 04-22-2016, 07:25 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,407,517 times
Um, if he was a "real man" (which apparently means supporting a traditional family dynamic) wouldn't he have married the mother of his child before the kid was born to ensure that they enjoyed the full benefit of being a legally recognized family? This kid's got to be at least 3 or 4.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,450,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Didn't anticipate so much venom. For this reason, I unofficially declare this thread closed. Please carry on. Good night.

Bye, Felicia!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,424,883 times
And now she's complaining in the parenting forum about the rude responses she received here.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,194,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And now she's complaining in the parenting forum about the rude responses she received here.
Hahaha omg I just saw that too.....
She created ANOTHER thread to complain
about the dose of reality she got here.....

Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,802,579 times
Quote:
This is like Psych 101. She wants congratulations, sympathy, and back-patting. She got it originally on the other thread, and came here for more. She didn't get it here (except from a couple people that didn't read the thread), so she added more details in a continued effort. Still didn't work, so she went back to where she got it in the first place, omitting just enough of the important stuff to ensure that she gets what she needs.

Note that there's nothing in that other thread about making her fiancee give anything up or getting what she wants. Just the extremely vague, "putting our child first" statement.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,438 times
Exclamation Sorry You Feel That Way, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Didn't anticipate so much venom. For this reason, I unofficially declare this thread closed. Please carry on. Good night.
'Venom' in this case is a thinly-veiled euphemism for 'well, I didn't hear what I wanted, which was the sound of thousands of hands lining up to pat my little head and say 'it's gonna be alright bubbie-cakes'!'

Or those same thousands of hands clapping in response to your declaration of your fiance as a 'real man'

So then you take your ball and run to the Parenting forum, and start a thread declaring all the rest of us here in Relationships a bunch of 'mean widdle kids' because we had the nerve to tell you what time it was

Boyyy howdy...some folk just never cease to amaze me

Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,457,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
This real man just opened a pickle jar for his wife
Now that's a real man. LH used to do that for me all the time - I think he felt bad for the jar lids getting the crap beat out of them with a butter knife so I could open them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
One thing the OP isn't considering. She has to be MARRIED to this guy for 10 years before she'd be eligible for his SS payments. He's got to be at least 62 if he's eligible for SS. If he drops dead before 72 (assuming they get married tomorrow), she'll lose his SS payments which according to her is the bulk of their monthly income. She'll still get SS payments for her minor child, but his SS payments and most likely his pension payments will be gone. She's putting her child at financial risk if she doesn't have a job. But, I guess her statement that you have to set aside your "dreams" once you have a child doesn't apply when her "dream" of not working is the one taking the hit.
Excellent points. If he was previously married for more than 10 years, the ex would actually be the one to
qualify for the fiance's payments. This has happened twice in my family - with my aunt and my mom. My aunt is how I learned about the rule. My parents divorced when I was 9. They were just barely married 10 years, divorced 20 when he died and she is now collecting his SS.

And I believe if OP were to remarry, she'd lose the SS payments for her child. We didn't have kids but I've heard a couple of my widowed friends mention it.

Quote:
With a post that reads as if she didn't realize those who post here could see it. At least that's how it read to me.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,258,369 times
Man, the kid is three with two stay at home parents. Cheaply move to Florida for a year or so and try it out. It may make everyone happier, who knows. I believe you are scared of the unknown and are trying to rationalize your fears through your "child's well-being." You fiancee probably talked about moving to Florida for decades, after retirement, then had a baby and now is like, "Crap, I am so screwed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships