Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM

23 posts, read 75,424 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever get this a lot? I usually dislike flirting, I feel like sleaze and rather unsexy when trying to do so. When I talk to women, I just speak normally and make the effort to be nice, considerate and polite. Not the most popular method for talking to women, but I find it serves me well.

I'm asking because I recently asked a few platonic friends about this, and just about all of them felt I was either trying to date them or get in their pants at some point, and even turned off some to keeping up with me. When I meet a woman and wish to become friends, I usually just invite them out for casual dates for lunch or coffee, so I don't know how I'm coming off as a horndog trying to go home with them. I usually tell people straight up about my feelings when I feel sexually attracted, or avoid the subject all together if I'm not.

Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,055,673 times
You wish to become friends by asking them to do the things people typically do on a first date??

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,336,654 times
I don't ask women I want to be friends with to a date. That's weird. I would invite them to a house party, a BBQ gathering, a group gathering in public; usually with a lot of other people but never to a one on one lunch, coffee, etc.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:20 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Going out for coffee is something friends do, I don't see that as a "date", necessarily, just hanging out. Though the poster who suggested inviting your new friend to a group hang-out had a good idea; invite her to coffee/whatever with a couple of friends.
OP, maybe you're subconsciously coming off in a flirtatious manner. There must be more going on than what you describe for women to feel you were a little sleazy.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Usually when a man asked me out, even casually, I assumed it was a date or at least that I should confirm that it wasn't a date, because the opposite had happened to me more than once - assuming we were just friends, the guy thinking I should have known it was more than that and then thinking I had led him on, and being somewhat upset with me over it. Awkward and weirdly, I felt guilty though I simply hadn't seen that, not having said it was a date, LOL (or the guy having simply acted friendly in a "buddy/pal" way), he hoped for more than a friendly coffee or to catch up on old times.

I always wanted to clear the air on that. Not in any big dramatic way but I wanted to get it said that I didn't consider it a date.

And FTR, once or twice I got the "Don't be ridiculous! I didn't think of it as a date!" - one of those couple of times it was "Don't flatter yourself" when before, all our interactions had been very friendly...methinks thou dost protest too much, etc. So uncomfortable but we women DON'T always know what you want, so we ask...I don't see that as a crime.

This is a murky area for us women because with some (not all, certainly) men, we're darned if we do and darned if we don't.

And yes, just talking to the person - if you're both single and you deliver a certain vibe (this isn't always fair as some people just naturally are friendly) - can be construed not necessarily as flirting, but as a warmup to "so...do you want to go out and do X...?" which is how one typically asks his/her intended on a date, so...

Honestly, though, if I were platonic friends with a guy and he probed me with questions as you say you did, OP, I'd wonder if he wasn't fishing around for something more. That just comes off as...hmmm. I'm not sure. I mean if you're already GOOD friends with them, probably not...there's a lot that figures into this. And there's a lot that's "unsaid" in the mating dance...I might wonder, if I were the friend, whether you were hinting for something more while trying not to embarrass yourself in case I said no.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-15-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I don't ask women I want to be friends with to a date. That's weird. I would invite them to a house party, a BBQ gathering, a group gathering in public; usually with a lot of other people but never to a one on one lunch, coffee, etc.
Seems like a no brainer.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
I used to think these guys I talked to know it's platonic, I was in the same class with them. Some of them didn't think so. Only one guy has remained platonic because he is gay. He never admitted it though.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 05-15-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahGawdKing View Post
When I talk to women, I just speak normally and make the effort to be nice, considerate and polite. Not the most popular method for talking to women, but I find it serves me well.
And they're picking up on that effort and makes you look like you have something up your sleeve, even though you don't.

Be naturally polite and considerate? Sure. The extra effort is overdoing it.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:41 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,055,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Going out for coffee is something friends do, I don't see that as a "date", necessarily, just hanging out.
Maybe it's the wording but the OP says when he wishes to become friends with a woman, he asks her to lunch or coffee, so they're not already friends but he's trying to establish one. If that's the case, I can see why it looks like he's trying to date them. I've never become friends with anyone by asking them out one-on-one without becoming familiar first.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Maybe it's the wording but the OP says when he wishes to become friends with a woman, he asks her to lunch or coffee, so they're not already friends but he's trying to establish one. If that's the case, I can see why it looks like he's trying to date them. I've never become friends with anyone by asking them out one-on-one without becoming familiar first.
I see what you mean. It's not clear exactly at what stage the OP is asking them to coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships