Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,535,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I just heard from him and it supports the fact that 99% of what you worry about never happens.
His idea was to arrive later in the day for dinner.
What happens the next day all depends on what happens with the ...."and if".
Either send him back home or the hell with the air boat ...my house has AC.
Oh I see .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
I just heard from him and it supports the fact that 99% of what you worry about never happens.
His idea was to arrive later in the day for dinner.
What happens the next day all depends on what happens with the ...."and if".
Either send him back home or the hell with the air boat ...my house has AC.
That makes the most sense. Didn't really understand why you'd want to invest a whole day in someone you may not connect with, just because he drove for a while. This is a much more reasonable approach. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I had one of these and it was great. I vote for venue changes to keep it interesting. I don't know much about your part of town, but I like things like museums and art galleries: they offer up conversation topics. Farmers markets and street festivals and shopping oriented main streets also work great for encouraging conversation.

Also it is pretty fun (for me anyway) to go to a "theme eatery:" think chocolate shop, interesting ice cream place, intersting donut place, non-chain coffee place.

And then pick an activity where little talking is required.

Maybe a lesson of some form too.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
There's a piece of advice given often on this forum that I realized was good to follow.
Discuss it with him!!
Duh!
So I've been doing that.
Thanks all who did make suggestions...might use one or two.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
I lived in Sarasota for a couple of years, anywhere near there?...Big Cat Rescue? Hemingway's? So many cool spots to watch the dolphins jump at sunset along the Gulf...seafood...Tiki bars...collecting tiny shells and sharks teeth...ahhh...why'd I leave...I'll scrape up a date and meet you there, k?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,904 times
Oh gawd whyyyyy???

If you don't get along you're going to be stuck with him the entire day... how dreadful. Why don't you Skype first or something to see if you get along and take it from there?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
There's a piece of advice given often on this forum that I realized was good to follow.
Discuss it with him!!
Duh!
So I've been doing that.
Thanks all who did make suggestions...might use one or two.
Let us know how it went!!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Oh gawd whyyyyy???

If you don't get along you're going to be stuck with him the entire day... how dreadful. Why don't you Skype first or something to see if you get along and take it from there?

LOL. Think of it this way. I've had relatives visit that had to be entertained for the day that I didn't care for that much.
I think I can consider it sort of as a tour guide day job if necessary.
Or, if it's really bad, have no compunction against aborting and sending him back to his hotel early
I've brought up the possibility we may hit it off wrong right away....he understands that and is willing to take the chance,
I do intend to correspond and talk on the phone for at least the rest of this week before actually letting him come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships