Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:51 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Losers, washed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 06:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
But we live in a society(especially in the U.S.A) where having a a child is a accomplishment/ a gateway to adulthood. Where you aren't seen as respected like the people who have them, and years from now when your generation is old and you all sit around and talk about child rearing what is the poor childless all his or her life person going to say other than sit in a corner and look dumb?

If you choose to be childless in the states then consider yourself invisible as time goes on.
Having a child is no big accomplishment.

You should be an adult before you have them. It is not a gateway.

I have never heard old people sitting around and talking about child rearing.

The people that are childless have never been invisible. They are always out and about because they don't have to spend money on their kids.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Like maybe theirs something mentally off with them that other people don't like or they chose to not make the most of their lives.

If a person is over 40 years old and has no kids could it be said that something's wrong with them?
My aunt never married or had kids and she seems to be a well adjusted, intelligent, and successful person. Same with my other aunt, but she's a lesbian. I do have another aunt who is not intelligent or successful and she is divorced but never had kids. She's had several foster children over the years but that was just because she needed the money. I have several other relatives who DO have children and some of them are mentally off, so I don't think having kids means you aren't crazy.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 PM

741 posts, read 478,729 times
Yes I just think their life is sad and I feel bad for them

Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
Quote:
But we live in a society(especially in the U.S.A) where having a a child is a accomplishment/ a gateway to adulthood. Where you aren't seen as respected like the people who have them, and years from now when your generation is old and you all sit around and talk about child rearing what is the poor childless all his or her life person going to say other than sit in a corner and look dumb?

If you choose to be childless in the states then consider yourself invisible as time goes on.
I don't think so. Where are you coming up with these unfounded notions? The childless people I know are living very full lives and are typically well-educated and well-traveled. They are not sitting around looking "dumb".

Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
omg, no, and I don't know anyone else who would think that either.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Like maybe theirs something mentally off with them that other people don't like or they chose to not make the most of their lives.

If a person is over 40 years old and has no kids could it be said that something's wrong with them?
You mean like people who assume that people without kids 'sit in the corner looking dumb' when old folks shoot the breeze about child rearing?

Seriously OP, the childless over 40 aren't the ones who look bad here.

Having kids is not some great feat that is only bestowed among the worthy. Raising kids, however, is. And I meet people everyday who had kids but did not raise them.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
What a wierd question. I think less of unfit parents who abuse and murder their children.
Mae

Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 PM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
Having kids if someone is physically able is no great accomplishment and since many people not even adult age manage to squirt them out I certainly wouldn't count it as some great rite of passage into adulthood either. The U.S.A. I live in doesn't give a flying fig if people do or don't have kids as being part of society. People should have kids if they want. And if they don't want, they can sit in the corner and have conversations that are actually adult related, instead of kid. Because there's a lot more to being an adult than producing children.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Mid 40's guy with no kids, and never planning on having any - I always practice safe sex.

I think it's great if people choose not to have kids - they're not contributing to an already over-populated world. Plus, many people who are parents have no business in this role - many can't afford their kids & many abuse their kids. These people are the a-holes, not the people who choose not to have kids.

Plus, I know for a fact that a lot of people out there had kids that were completely unplanned.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 06-13-2016 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships