Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Whenever I see "never" and/or "always" I KNOW it can't be true.

You do understand that even though SOME women make more money than SOME men, that the AVERAGE for women can still be LESS than for men overall? And certainly within some couples (maybe as high as 40% now?) the woman happens to make more than their partner?

It does raise an interesting point...what happens in gay relationships where you have TWO MEN or TWO WOMEN - how they must squabble over who makes more!

Anyway, you then set the stage for a total "edge case" with a woman making 10 times that of her partner. I'd wager than when there is that much of an income discrepancy (regardless of gender) that will put a strain on the relationship. Even if it's the man, he'll probably be out looking for another trophy wife every 10 years!

So what's your real point? Next time, try for nuance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:24 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
I'm currently 64 years Young and have never had a
mate or partner that didn't make more money than
me , so go figure. Women don't have any problem
whatsoever bringing in more moola... than me.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
It's difficult to know how these relationships play out long-term, because these relationships are a relatively new phenomenon in the world. My guess is that if you're not successful as your girlfriend, she holds it as a "strike" against you.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It's difficult to know how these relationships play out long-term, because these relationships are a relatively new phenomenon in the world. My guess is that if you're not successful as your girlfriend, she holds it as a "strike" against you.
It started in the late 1960s and early 1970s when women started to go out on dutch dates. Women at that time were able to guarantee their own comfort and security with theirs own incomes.

Women will put up with men like me who make less than they do because I can play the Manly/Man role and repair the roof when it's leaks , Plumbing Sinks & Toilets Bath Tubs & Showers, Landscrape Large Yards &Tinker Around with small Automotive repair.....repairs...repairs.

And (Part B) is that I can do the feminine things around the house like shampooing carpets , and mopping the floor , dusting the furniture , washing dishes , and also washing and ironing clothes , and when everything is all said and done I still give a pretty mean massage and some after play after my foreplay.....LOL..

Old 07-06-2016, 04:12 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Hello, i'm wondering if this is an issue in America. I've been told by friends and family that a woman can never on top of the man in terms of power (employment, influence etc) but others say otherwise. The senior manager where i work at told me that he once had this woman that made almost 100k but he only made 40k a year and had no problems with her. But then again, there are others that have told me that it doesn't work because the man has the power and ambition, and can never be less than the woman.

In terms of a long term relationship, does it really matter if a woman earns 10x what her partner makes in a year? If anyone has had this issue please feel free to discuss .
I'm in London granted and not been to USA ( apart from two weeks in 2001 ) .....

And am pretty certain this is complete bollox mate so don't listen to it

Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Women will put up with men like me
Notice the terminology you use -- "put up with." That's exactly my point. Having a low income is like a defect that some women will "tolerate." Similar to being a guy who is short.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Notice the terminology you use -- "put up with." That's exactly my point. Having a low income is like a defect that some women will "tolerate." Similar to being a guy who is short.
LOL....true

And some women will even sabotage the jobs of men because they're insecure and don't want any competition from outside women.

Peace in the homes....

Old 07-07-2016, 02:41 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
In terms of a long term relationship, does it really matter if a woman earns 10x what her partner makes in a year? If anyone has had this issue please feel free to discuss .
I can not think of a reason why it should be an issue. Unless the person in such a relationship _makes_ it an issue because they are clinging to some archaic and outdated notions about gender roles.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:24 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
What? my salary is double than my friend's but when we together no one cares how much and who has...

Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Everyone worries about money. But when people start worrying about how much, or how little, money their partner makes you have several choices:
1. hound your partner to death.
2. make more money.
3. give it a rest and focus on the underlying issues that are causing your concerns
4. get out of the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships