Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 AM

11 posts, read 13,863 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I have been married 23 years, we have three children, 21, 17, and 16. After our third I suggested he should get a vasectomy but he said he didn't want to because the thought made him feel "less of a man" I realize I could have hady tubes tied but I was worried about complications and other issues.

Anyway we still used condoms I did take birth control earlier in my life but they made things worse and did try multiple kinds. Three weeks ago I found out I was pregnant. When I told my husband he got furious saying "you can't be pregnant!" and when I showed him the multiple pregnancy tests he said "well you are going to get an abortion!"

I admit part of this is my fault for not getting my tubes tied but part is also his for not getting a vasectomy. Now when it comes to getting an abortion while I will not judge those that do the thought terrifies me. Aside from possible complications the nature of it personally bothers me. When I voiced my concerns to my husband he blew them off and told me to get one asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:20 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Married 23 years? How old are you?

Old 07-31-2016, 03:58 AM

11 posts, read 13,863 times
Got married I was 20.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
This is something that should be kept between you and your husband.
If you do not come to an agreement seek professional help to get it worked out.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is something that should be kept between you and your husband.
If you do not come to an agreement seek professional help to get it worked out.
Good advice. Give the child up for adoption. I could not abort a baby human. He sounds like a "winner". What a creep.

Mae

Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
I'm sorry you are facing this. Your husband may think an abortion is the answer but that doesn't mean it is the answer for you. He cannot force you to have an abortion.

This decision is a hard one. You need support, someone to talk to, let you "think outloud", let you have a sounding board. Could be another family member? Or a counselor?

(((Hug))) Take care of yourself and reach out for support you deserve.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
First of all, do you have a good marriage? If not, then you have some serious thinking to do about whether you want to stay with your husband or not.

I think you need to seek a doctor's opinion immediately to know if your health will be jeopardized if you continue with the pregnancy. It might not matter to you to have a healthy child or not, but I'm sure you know that there are tests you can take to see if your baby has health problems because of your age (not that you are old)

If you should decide to abort or even give the child away for adoption, then you also have to realize that you will most likely have depression problems and might always be bitter towards your husband for forcing the issue. I have a friend who aborted in her teens. She still cries about it and she's in her 50's. Just realize that guilt can very well follow you throughout your life afterwards. If you decide to keep it, are you willing to be the one who raises it if your husband doesn't warm up to the idea?

If you have a good marriage, then you and your hubby need to seek a counsellor to help decide what you are going to do. He is probably scared of the costs of raising another child and the age you will both be when this child turns 20. Will you both be capable of handling the difficult teenage years when you are nearing 60? Unfortunately, you don't have much time to make this decision because I'm sure you realize that abortions get more complicated as the fetus grows larger/older.

You have a lot to think about honey and I wish you luck, whatever your decisions are. No one can tell you what to do.

What I have heard is that later-in-life children are often the most wonderful thing to ever happen to parents. They are like little angels brought to you later in life.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I am so sorry you are going through this, it is a difficult thing. Seek counseling as soon as possible even if your husband won't go. If you have the abortion because of him, you will resent him the rest of your life together, however I understand where he is coming from also. You are both almost finished with childrearing and then oops. Can you start all over again? Could you carry the baby and give it up to a childless couple? If you choose the abortion do you live where you can have it done very early?

You have a lot of decisions to make, none of them easy. I will pray you make the right decision for you and your family.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
His reaction is the wrong one

Incidentally do you have an opinion/view on abortion?

Thank you

Old 07-31-2016, 06:35 AM

458 posts, read 329,326 times
From what you've said, he is incredibly insensitive! This is a very tough spot to be in. Given your views on abortion, you will regret it if you allow your husband to pressure you into it. Your husband seems to feel very strongly about this for some reason. Why is that? Does he not want to be an older father? Why is he SO against it? You have 3 other children together. Something else is going on here that he is not saying. Get to the bottom of it. Don't let him pressure you into something that you won't be able to forgive yourself for. This is your body. He's an ass. I don't care for him. Ugh. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships