Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So you're saying you're unattractive in ways other than looks. Can't you work on changing that? MOST people have to work on ourselves in many different ways. Often that's down to maturing and learning about other people and becoming less self-centered as we are when we're children, but there are other things we may need to work on. I don't think it's "not being oneself" to work on things that are making us flat-our miserable (i.e. keeping us lonely and alone) - indeed, often those particular traits that we think of as "being ourselves!!!" were actually negative reactions; for example, being shy because of having been yelled at as children for speaking out, or being too prone to anger because we came from a large family and were bullied by siblings, or a million other possibilities. Why not work on yourself?
I said "based on more than looks". Which means looks plus other areas. I have worked on myself over the years and have become comfortable with bring alone thanks to photography, friends, family, hitting the gym, traveling, and work. I plan to add guitar lessons in the near future. My time is full and I am by no means miserable and lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 04:00 PM

63 posts, read 36,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
I said "based on more than looks". Which means looks plus other areas. I have worked on myself over the years and have become comfortable with bring alone thanks to photography, friends, family, hitting the gym, ltraveling, and work. I plan to add guitar lessons in the near future. My time is full and I am by no means miserable and lonely.
I agree, it's like you can be the best person you can be but if you aren't getting dates you need to work on yourself. Which I think is straight bs and i'm glad you're comfortable with yourself, I was going to go abroad but you have given me an idea. Forget dating and to do stuff I actually enjoy.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankle bracelet View Post
I agree, it's like you can be the best person you can be but if you aren't getting dates you need to work on yourself. Which I think is straight bs and i'm glad you're comfortable with yourself, I was going to go abroad but you have given me an idea. Forget dating and to do stuff I actually enjoy.
Why is it bs to work on yourself?

Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This.

That's something you should be doing regardless if you're interested in dating or not.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Life is short. Do what you enjoy and forget the other stuff

Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think he's suggesting that a person may be doing all or at least most of what he or she can reasonably do to be a "datable" person, including doing those things because he or she enjoys them and not primarily to be datable, and still have no success. That is possible.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think he's suggesting that a person may be doing all or at least most of what he or she can reasonably do to be a "datable" person, including doing those things because he or she enjoys them and not primarily to be datable, and still have no success. That is possible.
This.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
This.

That's something you should be doing regardless if you're interested in dating or not.
Speak for yourself i'm don't need to work on myself in my eyes and those are the only ones that matter.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
You hear alot that if you're gonna approach a women in public make eye contact and smile at her and if she returns a smile and holds eye contact take a chance and approach.

Every time I've done that I literally get ignored and never have gotten a smile or eye contact back

This probably works for good looking guys but for the unattractive men like myself I can't see this working
Usually if a girl is smiling and making eye contact with you it is a very good thing.

Of course context is important. If the girl is a waitress serving you drinks I wouldn't think much of it.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 AM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
JEEZ! Now that guy needs some coaching! I'd start with a fine arse-whuppin to take his confidence level down a notch and then work up from there.

Man. you gotta get noticed first!
I went on a date once with a guy who approached me at a supermarket. He came up when I was at the salad bar making a salad, and he was not creepy, but charming and outgoing and sweet. He walked up and said something about me being too beautiful to be eating dinner from a salad bar, and could he take me to dinner instead? I said yes, but I live in a city where there are several restaurants within 2 blocks of the market, I would not have gotten into a car with him. So we walked to a local restaurant, and although in the end we weren't really a match (we had very little in common), it was a nice experience.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships