Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM

594 posts, read 379,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow! Of course, you realize that this is nonsense. This is based only on their statistics, not on real life dating. Wow, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. People actually believe that stuff!
It's not nonsense, it's statistical data drawn from the okCupid dating site. I understand that the research is pooled from the members of this particular dating site. And since this thread is about OLD, I figured it was relevant. I also think it's safe to say that people who OLD also find dates the old fashioned way. So there are clear parallels between the two.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
It's not nonsense, it's statistical data drawn from the okCupid dating site. I understand that the research is pooled from the members of this particular dating site. And since this thread is about OLD, I figured it was relevant. I also think it's safe to say that people who OLD also find dates the old fashioned way. So there are clear parallels between the two.
All my dates have been from OLD, but have never been on a date from anyone via the old fashioned way.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
Quote:
I found this very thorough and very insightful piece of research done by the folks at okCupid regarding age-related statistics. https://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/t...n-older-woman/

From the article: A woman's desirability peaks at 21, which, ironically enough is the age that men just begin their "prime," i.e. become more desirable than average. Following that dotted line out, you can see that a woman of 31 is already "past her prime," while a man doesn't become so until 36. As we mentioned above, after age 26, a man has more potential matches than his female counterparts, which is a drastic reversal of the proportion in young adulthood, when women are much more sought-after. Because men's dating preferences skew so young, and women's are age-equitable, men peak later, and have a longer plateau of desirability, than women.
It's an interesting article. It also backs up what I said about women not preferring older men though. Look at the graph where it shows who women message. Most women message close to their age the article says. "Notice how a woman's actual messaging activity, shown in the heat map below, roughly centers around her own age." It not just about who men want or who women want, it's also about who wants you back.

I'm going to have to show the part of the article to my boyfriend about how older women want more sex and are more adventurous though. He jokes that I'm in the mood all the time and at a drop of the hat. I'm going to tease him that it's only going to, "get worse" as I get older, lol.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Yes, it's data drawn from men who AREN'T getting dates. (Have you seen data, real hard data on the percentage of men who achieve dates from various sites, and the frequency, and in particular, the number of men on dating sites v. the number of women?)

They can say anything they want about what they want to "get" dating-wise...since a significant percentage (according to Pew, one-third say they've NEVER achieved a date from a site! Sure, there are people who meet and even marry from the sites, but let's be a bit real about the numbers, here) aren't getting anybody at all, who the heck are they to say? They may as well say they find Helen of Troy and her identical twin sister their ideal date. They won't be getting her/them so why not shoot for the moon? Likewise, they can go after whomever they want. That doesn't mean their desired target is saying yes.

They can keep right on wanting. Meanwhile the average first-marriage age for a woman is over 25 (I believe it's either 26 or 27 now?), more than 50% of women are married at least once (a percentage of that more than once...hence, even OLDER than that, amazingly) so weirdly enough, it would seem women over 21 are plenty attractive...indeed, attractive enough for men to commit their entire lives to, or to make that promise in paper, anyway.

THOSE stats aren't from frustrated dateless men on some free hookup site; they're from the CDC. I'm inclined to believe the latter, not the former.

Here's another piece of hard data (NOT opinion polling): the majority of marriages have a maximum five-year age difference in the U.S.

I mean - polls based on what people go after (whether or not they ever get it)? Sure. We can dream however huge we want to. What do you think women would say their ideal man is on that or any other site under an opinion poll? Hint: He'd have about eleven attributes that neither you nor any other normal existing man has or ever will have, and three that vaguely match (no criminal record; a job; under the age of 90). Give or take. As far as that actual data in the article, someone above mentioned that it backs up that most women go after men their own age and therefore want men their own age. So there you have it...the masses have, in a roundabout way, spoken.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-08-2016 at 07:13 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
All my dates have been from OLD, but have never been on a date from anyone via the old fashioned way.
You know, I think it's all sort of the same these days. Dating is dating, whether online or something else. It's just people connecting in whatever way they connect.

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
It's not nonsense, it's statistical data drawn from the okCupid dating site..
Yup. That's what I said. This really explains a lot about where some of our past trolls' erroneous beliefs come from. Don't be one of those sad sacks, OP. You're smarter than that.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, it's data drawn from men who AREN'T getting dates.
No, it's not. It's data compiled from all their members, male and female, youngest to oldest. Did you read the article? It's quite detailed.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. That's what I said. This really explains a lot about where some of our past trolls' erroneous beliefs come from. Don't be one of those sad sacks, OP. You're smarter than that.
I'm sorry you find the statistics so disagreeable, but I never made any assertions that the data was from anywhere other than okCupid. I'm also not going to ignore the strong possibility that these statistics have a strong correlation with dating in general, online and offline.

I also don't believe that the research casts women in a negative light. I think it's more informative than comminatory. I for one, like to know the data behind the trends. That's just the kind of person I am. And really, is there anything that surprising about the research? I think the conclusions it draws are all pretty common sense stuff.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's data compiled from all their members, male and female, youngest to oldest. Did you read the article? It's quite detailed.
I edited my post above to clarify, and have included a Pew link which shows one-third of online dating site users say they have never gone on a date from a dating site. Not one date.

That's a significant number, and that number almost certainly is significantly represented in the data culled for the article you linked, because, well, how could it not be? One-third is significant. It would have to be the world's wildest coincidence for over 33% of a random poll wind up not included somehow.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Quote:
It was a pretty slow start for me as the learning curve for OLD is steep. I've had some issues in establishing effective communication, but I'm working that out.

I've been on 8 dates with 4 different women.
In 3.5 months? That's a very good "return rate". Why the RUSH though? Do you have a quota?

Quote:
6 year younger. That's nothing, especially at our age.
BLEH. Why would a 30-something want to go out with a 45 year old? I wouldn't want to date someone 10 years older than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships