Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM

18 posts, read 9,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
... and to further add that " treat them mean and keep them keen "... UGH!!!!... it's the biggest load of bollox there is mate
You must admit though, it does work, or can work, otherwise it wouldn't be such a popular saying. When was the last time you heard anyone say "treat 'em nice, keep 'em keen"? I know it isn't quite as snappy because it doesn't rhyme, but you get the point.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuston View Post
You must admit though, it does work, or can work, otherwise it wouldn't be such a popular saying. When was the last time you heard anyone say "treat 'em nice, keep 'em keen"? I know it isn't quite as snappy because it doesn't rhyme, but you get the point.
It isn't a popular saying.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Interest or attraction, I would imagine. I've been told many times that niceness doesn't seem to be a very attractive quality to women. I always imagined that if I was straight, as long as i'm decent and nice to women, that they would find that attractive. but judging from what my straight friends tell me, it doesn't seem to be so. I find that odd. Why would niceness repel women?
I may be in the minority of women, but I never, ever have been repelled by someone being nice. I've also never in my life uttered the words "that guy is too nice to me".

With that said, there is a heck of a lot more to me in attraction on a romantic level than a guy being "nice". Yup, being nice is a great quality, IMO, but what else ya got?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Interest or attraction, I would imagine. I've been told many times that niceness doesn't seem to be a very attractive quality to women. I always imagined that if I was straight, as long as i'm decent and nice to women, that they would find that attractive. but judging from what my straight friends tell me, it doesn't seem to be so. I find that odd. Why would niceness repel women?

Nice is attractive.

That does not mean we will attracted to every nice person.

Common sense issue. Are you attracted to every nice person?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What?

Doing what?

What are you talking about?

Are you talking about a friend being nice to a friend? That looks like every other friendship.

Wait, you think a woman is going to be interested in you just because you're not a jerk and show politeness?

Niceness doesn't repell women. But just because you're nice doesn't mean a woman is going to want you. That's insane.
I was asking the poster to paint a picture of what it would look like for a man to show kindness to a woman with no expectations of attraction. I was asking them to describe how that would look, in order to differentiate from a scenario in which the man is only pretending to be nice to get laid.

I don't know if women are interested in me or not. Maybe they are, who knows, but I'm gay, it doesn't matter.

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, we've had this exact discussion a few times. IMO, people should be kind and helpful toward people.

As to the question of women supposedly preferring bad treatment, IMO, it's a myth. I've never observed this. All my women friends and relatives throughout life have responded well to men who treat them well. They avoid jerks. There's a grapevine among women, who pass information onto each other as to which guys are to be avoided. Most men aren't in a position to observe this phenomenon, but women alert each other to which guys are bad news. No one wants to be stuck with an abusive or manipulative type, except the women who have some kind of baggage from their home environment.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
To be fair, a man doing something for a woman without any expectations of attraction, what would that look like?
You should know EXACTLY what that looks like, as a gay man.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
It doesn't. It attracts the stable, happy, emotionally healthy women. Nice guys don't finish last, they get married.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You should know EXACTLY what that looks like, as a gay man.
I was asking you.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
I grew up in the time when men opened doors for women. It was a show of manners. It is nice to have a door opened for me, although I can open it myself (although that's simply a statement - not an attitude). There are times when I think the guys feel good that they know manners. At any rate, I don't think most guys expect anything from me. I always say, "Thank you," and let them know it is appreciated. I also will open or hold the door for any other person coming toward the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships