Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 PM

123 posts, read 104,061 times

Advertisements

Brief synopsis: I'm a friendly guy. I typically talk to people at the gym. However, I did not talk to this girl. She came up to me, asked to be gym buddies, and asked for my number. She was pretty cute, in very good shape, and a head taller than me.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to make of it. So I figured that she probably was being literal in that she was simply looking for a gym buddy.

So I called her up when I was going to the gym. We went a few times together and, instead of working out, we spent hours talking (with her initiating the conversation....I took what she said at face value and was just trying to work out). Then, she didn't even work out and just left. She started talking about going out further and taking trips together. So I suggested that we have dinner. She was very interested.

I messaged her today to confirm that we were still on. She said yes. She messaged me about 3 hours before we were supposed to meet up to ask if I could pick her up. Then about 45 minutes before the date, she cancelled, suggesting a reschedule, but not actually offering a time or date.

This whole situation was bizarre. Any thoughts on this?

Obviously, she's not interested romantically (or she wouldn't have flaked), but why go through all of this if she wasn't really even looking for a work out partner either?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:42 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times
Unfortunately, she may have simply changed her mind about you completely (at least in a potential romantic sense). The fact that she cancelled suddenly and didn't offer a date or time is not a good sign whatsoever.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,528,523 times
I agree the whole thing is strange. I don't pick up on people at the gym, nor am I looking for that when I go. I go to the gym to work out. And I don't even like working out with partners/friends, let alone a stranger I've never met who approaches me about being a "gym buddy."

Old 10-13-2016, 11:33 PM

Since I made this thread, she sent me an unprovoked text, saying that she hopes she didn't ruin my night.

This actually cleared things up a bit. I now believe that either she's hard-to-get or it's some kind of validation play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I agree the whole thing is strange. I don't pick up on people at the gym, nor am I looking for that when I go. I go to the gym to work out. And I don't even like working out with partners/friends, let alone a stranger I've never met who approaches me about being a "gym buddy."
That was my thought too. I've asked women out at the gym before and have had women ask me out before, but it was never quite like this. The whole thing just felt strange, if that makes any sense.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolis Jones View Post
Since I made this thread, she sent me an unprovoked text, saying that she hopes she didn't ruin my night.

This actually cleared things up a bit. I now believe that either she's hard-to-get or it's some kind of validation play.

That was my thought too. I've asked women out at the gym before and have had women ask me out before, but it was never quite like this. The whole thing just felt strange, if that makes any sense.
Probably a little bit of both.

I would be worried that she's insecure, since she feels the need to resort to these types of games.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Probably a little bit of both.

I would be worried that she's insecure, since she feels the need to resort to these types of games.
Yeah, I was on the fence about her to begin with. Too many red flags already (some of which I didn't discuss in this thread). So I'm done with this one.

This is the first time that I've put myself out there in the dating game in a couple of years. So I guess these things will happen a few times before I meet someone.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:11 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
I might be inclined to give her a break if she said why she had to cancel and it sounded reasonable.
Just to do so without an explanation doesn't wash.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:58 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,471,338 times
You sound a bit paranoid and untrusting. She probably picked up on that and decided to back up a little.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:

Put it into perspective....

She has already caused you wasted energy because you are trying to figure out what her intentions were/are.

You said that while she randomly asked you to be her gym buddy, she didn't even exercise while at the gym with you.

That should have been a big red flag, this person is saying one thing and doing another. Not a good beginning of any type relationship. I wouldn't have called her about the gym the second time if it were me.

I think game players are such a waste of energy. Over time you'll begin to be emotionally drained, for what?

She sounds like a lot of hassle. Why bother with trying to even make this into a dating relationship. I'd just leave things at the gym. Or, NOT since that was a sham on her part too.

Lose her number.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,733,960 times
Quote:
Brief synopsis: I'm a friendly guy.
That's a new euphemism for "previously banned troll", though I have to say, not very accurate.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships