Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeantsmooth View Post
I've noticed many women's profiles where they give a list of stuff that they're looking for in a man, but they don't offer anything themselves. They assume that just by existing they are good enough. Why would they do this? I mean why do so many women on dating sites feel entitled to whatever it is that they're seeking, even though they make little if any effort to sell themselves?
It couldn't be that you're zeroing-in on the wrong profiles could it. Nah!

Gross generalizations rarely work.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I've noticed many women's profiles where they give a list of stuff that they're looking for in a man, but they don't offer anything themselves. They assume that just by existing they are good enough. Why would they do this? I mean why do so many women on dating sites feel entitled to whatever it is that they're seeking, even though they make little if any effort to sell themselves?
IDK. I've never done online dating profiles. Is it suppose to be a negotiation? I am looking for this in a man/woman and for that I can offer you this? Sounds kind of cold and creepy.

You also seem to assume much about these many women's assumptions.
It seem that a major flaw with the on line dating is that it creates too many assumptions.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM

602 posts, read 396,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Just because I don't think a particular man is anything special doesn't mean that some other woman wouldn't be delighted to have him. I would imagine that the same holds true for these women who you think have nothing to offer.
exactly. There are TONS of men who do the exact same thing, so I'm not sure why this is directed at women specifically.

I also notice that men who are 30+ with a good job, their own place, and a not-beat-up car seem to think that we should all be falling all over ourselves to date/sleep with them. Like, congratulations on being an adult... that's the bare minimum for what's acceptable. What else you got going for you?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:14 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I notice lately a lot of posts asking women to put themselves down and think less of themselves, either overtly or passive-aggressively. I believe the method behind the madness here is that if women collectively start to think less of themselves, they'll be fully willing to go out with men they just aren't attracted to, which means these guys can finally get the "8-9s (they) deserve" for being good people, having jobs, and never having been to prison. (Seriously. Not once!)

That's sort of working backward. Want better? Be better.

Or...want someone you can get along with now, for whom you don't have to turn cartwheels? Go for that woman.

It's that simple, and women are required to make the same choice.

As for saying what we want on a profile, the site generally ASKS US to do exactly that. Just because we take the time to do that, whereas you rush to fill out only the exact bare-bottom requirement info in your haste to grab some woman and get laid as quickly as possible, doesn't mean we're incredibly picky. It means that's what the profile says we should do. Here's a line. Fill it in. Oh, here's another line. Fill that one in too.

Also quite simple.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 654,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I notice lately a lot of posts asking women to put themselves down and think less of themselves, either overtly or passive-aggressively. I believe the method behind the madness here is that if women collectively start to think less of themselves, they'll be fully willing to go out with men they just aren't attracted to, which means these guys can finally get the "8-9s (they) deserve" for being good people, having jobs, and never having been to prison. (Seriously. Not once!)
Don't say that then you will guys asking, "whether going to prison will give them that bad boy edge that will ensure them endless dating opportunities".

Old 10-17-2016, 10:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Based on many of the posts I see here, I would say that men do this just as much as women.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM

513 posts, read 429,370 times
Hmmm... from my experience, women in my age group and older are being taught that a man is supposed to do most of the work in a relationship from bringing home the bacon, to paying all the bills, to taking out the trash. And with the rise (seems like a rise) of women taking care of busted, crusted dudes with no job, sitting on the rears playing video games all day, the idea of men doing more is even more exaggerated. Also, we Americans still live in a mostly patriarchy society, and to further extend, some men and women still believe in the old school (1950s, 60s, etc.) way of having a house to "properly function." (Husband goes to work, women takes care of the house and kids)

Another theory could be those women probably do have low self-esteem or lack of personality. I know, gross generalization of me, icky, icky!

What's their educational status? I doubt that most women with degrees will let that go to waste...and see money slip by like that.

Was that just it? They only listed what they wanted in a guy and that's it? With some dating sites, there is a detailed list or summary about that person. Probably missed this, but what site(s) are you using?

Or you could message them asking what do YOU bring to the table? <---I like this one best....but, op, what do YOU bring to the table? Seems to me you do a lot of complaining and offer a whole lot of nothing! Ha ha, just kidding! You do know you can get to know a person before setting up a date, right?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
OP, everyone on OLD specifies what they're looking for. That's one way people match up; that's important info people go by to find a match. But in saying what they're looking for, they're also revealing something about themselves, like for example--they want someone who enjoys the outdoors, concerts or books, blah blah. It serves the dual purpose of expressing who they are while also stating what they want. It's normal. The profiles I've seen on OLD are not about "selling yourself". Wouldn't that come across a bit self-centered or ego-driven? Do YOU try to sell yourself? Nobody says "I'm a captain of industry, enjoy unwinding at my vacation home on Cape Cod, and am looking for the right woman to whisk away to vacations on the Riviera."

Get real. It's just a format, nothing more. Don't read too much into it. If you're unhappy with the way profiles are set up, maybe you're just unhappy with women in general. Deal with your issues first, before trying to date.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
So maybe they're not putting together a good profile. Women are conditioned not to brag. So yes, many are going to downplay their virtues, but they'll be more open about what they're looking for.

If it's just that their looks aren't meeting your standards, that's more on you.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM

602 posts, read 396,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushandnotbeCrushed View Post
Hmmm... from my experience, women in my age group and older are being taught that a man is supposed to do most of the work in a relationship from bringing home the bacon, to paying all the bills, to taking out the trash. And with the rise (seems like a rise) of women taking care of busted, crusted dudes with no job, sitting on the rears playing video games all day, the idea of men doing more is even more exaggerated. Also, we Americans still live in a mostly patriarchy society, and to further extend, some men and women still believe in the old school (1950s, 60s, etc.) way of having a house to "properly function." (Husband goes to work, women takes care of the house and kids)

Another theory could be those women probably do have low self-esteem or lack of personality. I know, gross generalization of me, icky, icky!

What's their educational status? I doubt that most women with degrees will let that go to waste...and see money slip by like that.

Was that just it? They only listed what they wanted in a guy and that's it? With some dating sites, there is a detailed list or summary about that person. Probably missed this, but what site(s) are you using?

Or you could message them asking what do YOU bring to the table? <---I like this one best....but, op, what do YOU bring to the table? Seems to me you do a lot of complaining and offer a whole lot of nothing! Ha ha, just kidding! You do know you can get to know a person before setting up a date, right?
Yes, all of this.

It sounds like a lot of guys complaining about women on OLD are 5's trying to pull 8's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships