Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM

119 posts, read 517,866 times

Advertisements

Here is the situation: My husband and I have been married for 5 years. We have ALWAYS had a strong relationship. Currently, he is living 1800 miles away from myself and our 3 kids for work. In 1 month, the kids and I are moving to our new home. We have had a lot of little, silly arguments since he has been gone (he left in September 07). I'm aware that these are due to the stress of us being apart. I'm not worried at all that our relationship is falling apart or anything like that.

Now, the problem at hand. I've asked him 3 times over the last 1 1/2 months for something special from him. Flowers, balloons, a card, an e-card, ANYTHING! And, every time I request it, he has an excuse for not doing it. Is there anyway I can get him to understand that as a woman, I want that extra bit of attention? I feel like I'm screaming out to him and he's turning a deaf ear to me. For the record, I'm not a materialist woman, I don't expect these things. And, I think it wouldn't be an issue if we were together. But, during our difficult separation, I'm feeling alone and lost without my soulmate next to me. I guess I just don't understand why he doesn't get it. I can't be any more forward about it, as I've told him 3 times what I want. I'm not that woman who is hard to understand or confusing with what I want. I tell him straight forward. I got nothing for Valentine's Day and he told me he thought it was "No big deal". I don't know any woman who thinks V-Day is "no big deal". Especially when we are 1800 miles apart! Also, he forgot our anniversary this year. It was in November. In his defense, he didn't totally forget. He got me a cell phone. But, on the actual day, he forgot to tell me Happy Anniversary. It was our 5th anniversary, which to me, was kind of important.

Sorry this is so long. Any advice/input/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 AM

51 posts, read 191,392 times
What did he do before you got separated?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
I can't think of a way to make him do this as you were very direct with him which I commend you for. You didn't simply hope for it and not ask him. Maybe send him a little somethng that you know HE will like?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
If you are moving in less than a month, you need to forget all this silly stuff and concentrate on getting your stuff organized and packed.

If he forgets to send the money for moving, then you have something to complain about.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I am sorry that you are hurting. You have made your point. He has heard it, but I would drop it now. I don't get how getting an extra card, balloon, or flowers would prove that he misses you more. It is good that you can be open about what you want, but do you really want it know that you have had to basically beg for it?

And for the record, I am a female, and I feel that Valentine's Day is "no big deal". It means nothing to me, and I find the whole holiday ridiculous. People get so bent out of shape because they don't get some huge gift. My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I have always hated that day, because it seems so forced. People get so frantic that if they don't get some big huge expression of love on Valentine's Day, their relationship *must* be doomed. It is really so silly to me.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Well, seeing as how I know things in our relationship will improve once we are back together, I'm not overly stressed about this situation. I guess maybe I'm concerned that he doesn't take my feelings into consideration? He is a very "manly" type of guy who doesn't show his feelings or emotions very often. Maybe he's thinking it would be too feminine for him to consider my feelings? I know he loves me and misses me, but for him to show it would be a wonderful thing for my heart to see....and he doesn't show it. Maybe I'm crazy and reading way too much into it!?

To easternerDC, I don't know you....therefore, you can't fall into my category of women I know who think Valentine's Day isn't a big deal. LOL! I'm joking, of course! I know there are women out there who feel the way you do. And, if DH and I weren't 1800 miles apart, V-Day wouldn't be a big deal to me either. I guess I'm a romantic at heart and was hoping he would see it as a good opportunity to express his love and show he misses me. Maybe I am a rare breed of woman left who thinks romance is important in a relationship?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
The OP has a good point; it's not the gifts she wants; it's consideration for her.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I was gonna say...just go buy yourself something! Next time he hints around he wants some sex...just tell him you forgot and it's no big deal.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I was gonna say...just go buy yourself something! Next time he hints around he wants some sex...just tell him you forgot and it's no big deal.
LOL! That brings a smile to my face!

And, yes, it doesn't have to do with the fact that I want a material object. I want some attention from him! I want him to show me he thinks of me other than at the times he normally calls me (on his way home from work and after dinner). A morning phone call saying "Good morning baby, I wanted to tell you I love you and I miss you and you are on my mind all the time." It's the romance I want, not the object.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM

438 posts, read 1,509,298 times
I know how hard it is to be apart from your spouse. My husband would go on deployments for six months at a time. This is a very difficult time for both of you guys. I know you feel unappreciated, but he may be feeling some sort of loss as well. This last month will be extremely hard on you guys. Why don't you send him flowers? I know you came out and told him exactly what you wanted, but sometimes even this is too subtle for some men. My suggestion would be to take some time out for you and your hubby when you move. Show him exactly how to treat you. Just remember, husbands are a long-term investment. Hopefully all the hard work you put in now will pay off later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships