Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Why do so many new posters we get on this forum think the 50's were some golden age for men? Are there some blogs about this out in the brosphere, or something?

In the 50's, a lot of men were chained to work they hated, but they had to devote their life to it, because a family was depending on them, and the wife didn't work, in middle class families and up. They had to get up every day and go to a job they detested, in order to pay the bills and keep the family fed. There's a reason the family was called a "ball and chain" back then. In fact, the 50's were when it was "normal" and socially acceptable to be a gold-digger! It's just the way things worked.

The golden age is now; women contribute earnings to the household. You can choose whether to have kids or not. If you crash and burn at work for whatever reason, often the wife can keep things going on her salary and a bit of savings, until you find a job you like better. Heck, if you play your cards right, she'll even put you through med or law school!

You're in the golden age. Some of you guys are just to whiny to recognize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Don't forget the poolboy.

Seriously, if you're getting your history from shows like Madmen, don't forget Betty Draper. She wasn't just sitting on her fainting couch wringing her hands over her husband's mistresses.

It's a fallacy that men had more mistresses back in the good old days. Certain men will be faithful to their partners and certain men will screw around. The era they live in has nothing to do with it. Women were not more accepting of their husbands' infidelity in the 1950s, they just had fewer choices than women today.

How many mistresses have you got in your rotation, OP? By the nature of your question I suspect you've not yet been married, so I'm going to venture a guess that you needn't concern yourself much with such issues.
It's just the way men over at Red Pill / MGTOW daydream about the glory days of the 50s, when women had no choice but to be treated like servants and dependents. "Oh why must she question where I've been, instead of just bringing me my slippers and cigar like the women of the 50s?"

It's not even reality, and very telling indeed-- what the thought process is when there is a post about the fabulous 50s.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
LOL, my grandma packed up two babies and moved to a different region of the country in 1953 when a cheating husband flaunted his affair. She was only 20 years old and uneducated, and started over again in a new state from scratch. She waited tables to support my mom and my uncle. Eventually, she married a man who adopted her kids (bio father signed over rights) and had another daughter with him. They were married for over 50 years, until his death. He knew messing around = game over.

Sorry, MGTOW boys. Not all women of the 50s were spineless pearl-and-sweater-set-wearing Betty Drapers who turned a blind eye because they felt helpless at the idea of walking out.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM

61 posts, read 52,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
Why were women in the 50s more accepting of Mistress's?
They weren't.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
French culture is very accepting of infidelity,I think mistresses are generally more accepted there.mistress sounds so much more romantic and fixed,than home wrecker,adulteress,other woman etc.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It's just the way men over at Red Pill / MGTOW daydream about the glory days of the 50s, when women had no choice but to be treated like servants and dependents. "Oh why must she question where I've been, instead of just bringing me my slippers and cigar like the women of the 50s?"

It's not even reality, and very telling indeed-- what the thought process is when there is a post about the fabulous 50s.
Speaking of daydreaming, I wonder if the old hand-in-warm-water trick works the same on them while they daydream as when they are actually asleep?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:26 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do so many new posters we get on this forum think the 50's were some golden age for men? Are there some blogs about this out in the brosphere, or something?

In the 50's, a lot of men were chained to work they hated, but they had to devote their life to it, because a family was depending on them, and the wife didn't work, in middle class families and up. They had to get up every day and go to a job they detested, in order to pay the bills and keep the family fed. There's a reason the family was called a "ball and chain" back then. In fact, the 50's were when it was "normal" and socially acceptable to be a gold-digger! It's just the way things worked.

The golden age is now; women contribute earnings to the household. You can choose whether to have kids or not. If you crash and burn at work for whatever reason, often the wife can keep things going on her salary and a bit of savings, until you find a job you like better. Heck, if you play your cards right, she'll even put you through med or law school!

Absolutely.

That is one big positive.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wow... the forum has gotten depressing. But sadly there is huge truth to this..... and for women still under the delusion marriage are a guaranteed forever situation that give up education and careers to have children and become unpaid domestic servants to their husband ..... the joke is on you. When he gets bored with you will be kicked to the curb and have to start a career all over again if you even have an education of worth or be in a shut up and take it situation until you can figure out a plan B.

One of the few things I think I have done right in life is be 100% economically independent of my husband... it gives be the power to without bluffing at any given time to remind him of where the door is and that I am choosing to stay married and don't need to be married. There is a certain level of relief in this reality. I choose to stay.... but I can always walk and will be okay.

I having multiple life accomplishments puts less pressure off one or two not working out perfectly lol ( this is the story I am telling myself today ).

On another note .... I think I will be trying to avoid this section of the forum for a bit before I get inspired to slit my wrists.

I would much rather talk about shoes or clothes .....way less complicated !

AGREED 100%!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

We're still doing this today in 2016, but now women have to do it too and not just men.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:06 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What makes you think they were?

If they were, and I doubt that, it would likely be because they had no choice. They had no way to support themselves, so they just had to grin and put on a front. They were in many respects second class citizens with fewer rights and opportunities.

I'm sure most answers are a variation on this one, which nails it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
Going off tv shows and documentaries it seemed very much the norm for men to have a side piece for weekend get aways and after work romps
TV shows were written by men, and writers, men and women often write to work through their own beliefs and desires. So discount how "accepting" women were of their plight in general, since some of that might have been wishful thinking on writer's parts. But even in those fictional accounts., the women often suffered in relative silence, and accepted things in the sense that someone accepts a medical condition. What choice does one have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships