Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times

Advertisements

Which ones do you agree with, if any at all?

16 Harsh Truths About Modern Dating You Must Face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 04:57 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
Accurate.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
This is a real downer. My takeaway is not to make people feel like a low priority, especially friends.

I'm married and hope that my dating days are over.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:02 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
People lie.
You lie.
People got issues.
You will pay dearly for someone else’s childhood trauma.
You will be disappointed.
You will have to change.
Stop being “perfect.”
Unconditional love is earned, not automatic.
You will never fully know someone.
The person who cares less has all the power.
If you aren’t a top priority, your invitation to spend time together will be a “maybe.”

The above issues addressed are not at all exclusive to modern dating. Because we all know things like dishonesty less than stellar dating experiences only came about in the last decade. Lol

Old 12-03-2016, 06:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Experience has me agreeing with just about all of it, for the exception of 2-3.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM

I don't know why they put "modern" in the title, I guess because of the mention of OLD..

My take away from it, is that it seems like a lot of people see others as "disposable."

I see evidence of it IRL as well with people in my circle. They're real quick to drop someone as soon as something goes wrong and they are on to the next person. But at the same time a lot of them stay in unfavorable situations.

Last edited by Auraliea; 12-04-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
All quite true....but I really didn't like this:

This is difficult when you are head over heels for someone. After a few months of dating, you care a lot. You want the other person to know. Forget it. It makes you appear less valuable.

Yes, it's true that the person who cares more is at a disadvantage and you don't want to wear your heart on your sleeve at the beginning. But at some point you don't want to be strung along and so you have to lay your cards on the table - if you care and they don't then you need to know and move on. It's silly to just keep playing a stupid game.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
All quite true....but I really didn't like this:

This is difficult when you are head over heels for someone. After a few months of dating, you care a lot. You want the other person to know. Forget it. It makes you appear less valuable.

Yes, it's true that the person who cares more is at a disadvantage and you don't want to wear your heart on your sleeve at the beginning. But at some point you don't want to be strung along and so you have to lay your cards on the table - if you care and they don't then you need to know and move on. It's silly to just keep playing a stupid game.
What's crazy to me is that my mom said something similar. She advised us (my brother and I) to make sure the other person cares more than we care about them.

That made no sense to me. Why can't two people care about one another equally? Isn't that the whole point of dating them to begin with?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't know why they put "modern" in the title, I guess because of the mention of OLD..

My take away from it, is that it seems like a lot of people see others as "disposable."

I see evidence of it IRL life as well with people in my circle. They're real quick to drop someone as soon as something goes wrong and they are on to the next person. But at the same time a lot of them stay in unfavorable situations.
You hit the nail on the head. We are more and more becoming a disposable society and this is leaking over to people becoming disposable.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Those things are generally true of relationships in general, not just "modern dating."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships