Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:41 AM

28 posts, read 47,633 times

Advertisements

I'm 46 yr. old SWM and I was rather addicted to America Online chat rooms in the late 90's.

Back in those days, it was really the only "social media" that existed because there was no such thing as smartphones or Facebook or Twitter or even MySpace. I would log on to chat up total strangers, but soon learned you could search for women of a certain age range within X miles of your ZIP code. Naturally, I used this feature a lot as a single guy looking for random hookups and possibly a new girlfriend. I must say, from about 1996 to 2000 it landed me a LOT of meetups for great sex and even some steady girlfriends! I even proposed to one of these women but it didnt work out.

For whatever reason, these online chat rooms have pretty much disappeared. Does anyone know why? I'm obviously not the only person who found them excellent ways of striking up conversations with members of the opposite sex without the hassles of dressing up and approaching a random stranger in a smoke-filled noisy bar somewhere. It was a hell of a lot easier getting rejected online than in person.

I know AOL chat rooms had a sleazy reputation as a hangout for "losers" and "pedos" looking for random sex encounters but I must say I had some awesome conversations on them getting to know people and we would spend many hours talking about our lives and our dreams and desires and fears.

So the basic question is --- how can something that was so addictive and useful to millions of people just disappear with nothing to replace it? I realize there are dating apps out there like Tinder and Match.com but these don't provide real-time chats where you can get to know someone in a dynamic way. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 11:45 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,636 times
Facebook & Twitter.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 AM

28 posts, read 47,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Facebook & Twitter.
Very simplistic answers that don't really explain the disappearance of chat rooms. You had to experience what an AOL chat room was like, and then you'd quickly realize FB and Twitter dont come close.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynnie847 View Post
Very simplistic answers that don't really explain the disappearance of chat rooms. You had to experience what an AOL chat room was like, and then you'd quickly realize FB and Twitter dont come close.
Rick is saying that the fact more and more social media is about now that people are spoilt for choice so naturally with more options then people will stray from one specific

Old 12-24-2016, 12:03 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
ironically this is a chat room of sorts.

Not sure where they went.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Rick is saying that the fact more and more social media is about now that people are spoilt for choice so naturally with more options then people will stray from one specific
This.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynnie847 View Post
He's right, though.

Once the mass population had transitioned to social networks from chat rooms, owners of chat rooms began to shut them down. AOL did so in 2010, followed by Yahoo! in 2012, and MSN in 2014.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-happen...-rooms-3969418

Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Same reasons 8tracks disappeared. AOL chat rooms died along with 56k dial-up modems.

Times have changed for the better. No more getting on the computer and hearing that annoying dial up - just swipe right ----->and your getting laid.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:44 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same reasons 8tracks disappeared. AOL chat rooms died along with 56k dial-up modems.

Times have changed for the better. No more getting on the computer and hearing that annoying dial up - just swipe right ----->and your getting laid.
I forgot all about that dialling tone LOL

Old 12-24-2016, 12:51 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times
Because who has the patience to sit there and consistently talk to people anymore? Way easier to respond when you feel like it. Same reason texting replaced phone calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships