Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:00 PM

247 posts, read 198,267 times

Advertisements

I am interested to hear from members who have been/are currently in a relationship with someone who would be considered less conventionally attractive than themselves. I understand that physical attraction is highly subjective. I'm asking this because I am moving to a new city soon and I want to change the way that I date and the type of men that I attract. Possibly giving men a chance who I normally would overlook?

How has it worked for you being the better looking in your partnership? I think this pairing would work well for me but I haven't tried it yet so I don't really know. Not asking about beer goggles one-night stand stuff, but actually dating and/or marriage. I hope I don't get roasted for this, I really would just like to gather some feedback (especially from women.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 PM

68 posts, read 37,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
I am interested to hear from members who have been/are currently in a relationship with someone who would be considered less conventionally attractive than themselves. I understand that physical attraction is highly subjective. I'm asking this because I am moving to a new city soon and I want to change the way that I date and the type of men that I attract. Possibly giving men a chance who I normally would overlook?

How has it worked for you being the better looking in your partnership? I think this pairing would work well for me but I haven't tried it yet so I don't really know. Not asking about beer goggles one-night stand stuff, but actually dating and/or marriage. I hope I don't get roasted for this, I really would just like to gather some feedback (especially from women.)
I'm a guy, but just date someone that you are attracted to. if you date someone that you are not attracted to, you will yearn for someone that you are. you most likely will resent that person whom you started dating because you will not be fullfilling your needs. it's an odd question.
I feel like you might be thinking that this might be the answer to failed relations with people who you are attracted to. people tell people to lower their expectations and try "nicer" guys, or less attractive.

that's not exactly what they mean. find a happy medium. the guy doesn't have to be "hot" per say, but you can still be attracted to them.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
The best lovers I ever had were not conventionally handsome. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personality qualities certainly can overcome otherwise average looks, and when it comes to a romantic/passionate connection, personality is what matters when the lights are OUT. And I've known incredibly good looking men AND women who were absolute duds, in and out of the bedroom.

You really can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsydavis View Post
I'm a guy, but just date someone that you are attracted to. if you date someone that you are not attracted to, you will yearn for someone that you are. you most likely will resent that person whom you started dating because you will not be fullfilling your needs.
Thank you for your insight. I do want to date someone who I am attracted to, but I don't want the physical attraction to be the most important factor. If that makes sense. I don't really have any failed relationships, only short ones and not a lot of experience dating.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
Thank you for your insight. I do want to date someone who I am attracted to, but I don't want the physical attraction to be the most important factor. If that makes sense. I don't really have any failed relationships, only short ones and not a lot of experience dating.
It makes sense exactly. But find a balance. It's like saying all good people are less attractive and all attractive people are crappy. It's just not true. You can find someone that you are attracted to who has a good personality. You'll resent someone if there is no attraction, and it won't work anyway. find a balance, you'll be better off in the long run.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsydavis View Post
You'll resent someone if there is no attraction, and it won't work anyway.
This ^^^ is definitely true.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 PM

You can fall in love with somebody you are not that attracted to. I'm decent looking and I tried that for a change once myself. Thinking that that would be the answer. It wasnt.

But I would be lying if I didn't say that it was very unfullfilling for the most part. I think that she could sense it too. I kept supressing the desire to be with somebody that I was attracted to. You sell yourself and them short. They deserved someone to be really into them. I deserved somebody who I was really into. I did love her, but it didnt compare to lovers who I was attracted to.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
I have dated men who others deemed less attractive, yes. Less attractive if we're talking traditionally handsome. I actually had disgruntled and bitter men state this when they came across my profile elsewhere that was linked to my then-SO's profile. The "what are you doing with that guy when you could do so much better." Translation: "Realize my awesome charisma, smooth-talking, well-to-do status, and my hot bod. Don't you want this!?!"

What matters is that I'm attracted to the person. I have a wide range. I've dated many regular, average-looking men. However, there are certain traits that I prefer or like. I do have preferences.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The best lovers I ever had were not conventionally handsome. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personality qualities certainly can overcome otherwise average looks, and when it comes to a romantic/passionate connection, personality is what matters when the lights are OUT. And I've known incredibly good looking men AND women who were absolute duds, in and out of the bedroom.

You really can't judge a book by its cover.
This was my experience when I was in the dating scene. The best lovers were not conventionally handsome. The hot guys with the blue steel look and hard bods... mediocre or worse. Lol.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
What matters is that I'm attracted to the person. I have a wide range. I've dated many regular, average-looking men. However, there are certain traits that I prefer or like. I do have preferences.
I agree it matters most if I am attracted or not. I have a wide range as well and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships