Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:49 PM

332 posts, read 294,885 times

Advertisements

I'm talking to this guy I have a great connection with. He then talks about his ex gf who passed away. He said she was "the one". Not exactly sure how I should feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 09:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Yeesh. Talk about casting a shadow from beyond.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yeesh. Talk about casting a shadow from beyond.
How should I proceed?

(I remember you!) Lol

Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post

(I remember you!) Lol
Love ya, girl!! You have come a long way

You have a great connection ... based on what? I would proceed but cautiously. Work really hard not to invest too much of yourself early on. Ask him about his ex and how HE feels about dating.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Love ya, girl!! You have come a long way

You have a great connection ... based on what? I would proceed but cautiously. Work really hard not to invest too much of yourself early on. Ask him about his ex and how HE feels about dating.
Hahaha im always in some weird situation and find myself right back here! We are polar opposites and yet when we go on dates (2 at this point), we could talk for days. Physically and emotionally attracted to this guy, till he dropped that bomb and now I can't help but feel a bit weird. I don't want to think about his deceased ex but.. what should I even say/ask

Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
I don't want to think about his deceased ex but.. what should I even say/ask
Did you say anything at the time, when he mentioned it, or did he just move on to something else?

It's awkward, but everyone has exes, and knowing the story behind a situation like this is important. When you go out again and y'all have been talking for a while, just say something like, "You know the other day when you were talking about (her name if you know it)? That must have been so awful. Do you mind if I ask you what happened?"

Is that the only time he's referred to her?

Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Did you say anything at the time, when he mentioned it, or did he just move on to something else?

It's awkward, but everyone has exes, and knowing the story behind a situation like this is important. When you go out again and y'all have been talking for a while, just say something like, "You know the other day when you were talking about (her name if you know it)? That must have been so awful. Do you mind if I ask you what happened?"

Is that the only time he's referred to her?
I said sorry. Asked him what happened and he told me it was a car accident she got into and passed away. We were talking over the phone a few minutes ago. He said it's been a few years but he still misses her but he learned to live with it. I understood that up until when he said she was the one- that was when I felt weird.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 PM

I guess in his mind she WAS the one, at least as far as he knew, and if you think about it that has no bearing on you because you didn't even know him then.

It doesn't have to mean you are a default choice. He IS out there again and dating.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I mean I know I shouldn't feel weird about it if I was logical. But I'm not really thinking with my brain right now, just kinda going by the way I feel. It's been years and he haven't been in a serious relationship with anyone since her. Why can't I just find a normal guy without any baggage?!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:35 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,927,283 times
My husband passed away and I never told a date "he was the one"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships