Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Not that I think anyone was too overboard in this thread, this one was much more tame compared to some of the other countless threads about dating a co-worker. On this forum, dating co-workers is like one of the most sacrilege topics to some and pretty overblown. There was one thread a while back where some teenager worked at a grocery store and said he liked the girl that worked 3 checkout registers down from him or something and wanted to ask her out. The thread become filled with these robotic posts like ''Don't date co-workers'' it was creepy to a point, as it seemed like there was one post after another with those exact 4 words. I thought that was lame, especially between two young people working at a grocery store. Do you know how many young people met while working at a restaurant, grocery store, department store, etc, and wound up getting married and having kids and a family? Probably someone in most of our families has done this. If not some of our direct relatives, like parents, grandparents, etc.

I do understand not dating co-workers and it's definitely not a bad idea, especially if you have a ''Career'' type job and are in a more professional work environment.

I'd personally date a co-worker, unless I was a manager or owner of a business or something and I have dated them before. It's mostly because I just don't give a **** really, but that's just me and I understand it's not for everybody and people can feel how they want and date who they want and decide on their own whether or not they wanna date in the workplace. I have a lot of anxiety over the weirdest stuff, but that's not one of them.
Honestly, I typically do the don't date coworkers saying without fail for a reason. My old friend from Southern VA was engaged to his coworker. The engagement broke off and he had to work with his now ex-fiancée the same damn day the engagement broke. Words could not express the level of suckitude that was.

Plus if the relationship breaks, and if the other person gets PO'd, they have a bunch of your initmate secrets they can use against you to cause trouble at the workplace, potentially compromising your livelihood. There are millions of people in the world, why dip your pen in the company ink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
IF he is interested in you, which he seems to be, but has not asked you out, or even to lunch, you can assume he thinks it would be a mistake, or inappropriate.
You can do one of two things. Continue to enjoy the working relationship you have, or flat out ask him what you asked us.

You could wait until one of your contracts is almost over, and then say, "Bob, I will miss your company like crazy after I leave. Can we go out sometime soon?"

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Honestly, I typically do the don't date coworkers saying without fail for a reason. My old friend from Southern VA was engaged to his coworker. The engagement broke off and he had to work with his now ex-fiancée the same damn day the engagement broke. Words could not express the level of suckitude that was.

Plus if the relationship breaks, and if the other person gets PO'd, they have a bunch of your initmate secrets they can use against you to cause trouble at the workplace, potentially compromising your livelihood. There are millions of people in the world, why dip your pen in the company ink?
It's because sometimes the company ink is the very best ink you can find.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In my experience, if a man really wants you, he will find a way to let you know.
In my experience, a woman will also. And yet in this scenario

Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,300 times
Sounds to me like he feels pretty comfortable with you, which is a good thing. Whether it's romantic interest is hard to tell, but from what you've said I doubt he'd be opposed to going for coffee with you as it seems he enjoys your company.

As for the work thing, I agree with you, you guys are freelenace so it wouldn't complicate things as much as it would if you were salaried employees.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's because sometimes the company ink is the very best ink you can find.
That ink is definitely not worth potentially affecting your ability to bring home a paycheck. Just too much that can go wrong and make life hell.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Sounds to me like he feels pretty comfortable with you, which is a good thing. Whether it's romantic interest is hard to tell, but from what you've said I doubt he'd be opposed to going for coffee with you as it seems he enjoys your company.

As for the work thing, I agree with you, you guys are freelenace so it wouldn't complicate things as much as it would if you were salaried employees.
Thanks for the insight. A lot of people can't get passed the working together thing... But with our line of work, it's easy to make that happen.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Don't do it

Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
It sounds like he's into you. I was my husband's intern and we've been married 20 years, so go for it!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
It sounds like there is (or at least used to be) a lot of favoritism going around at a lot of jobs. Subordinates sleeping with bosses should never be encouraged or even allowed.

I hated it when the boss started screwing one of his female employees, then treated her better & and let her get away with a lot of infractions - simply because they were sleeping together. I'm glad this type of thing isn't allowed at my job anymore. People shouldn't be allowed to get away with this crap.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 03-08-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships