Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times

Advertisements

This should absolutely not be an issue on the first few dates. No normal guy should ask about the source of jewelry or any other property that woman has.

Now, when and if, this turns into a relationship then this might be more complicated. If you wear the rings every day and they are the most noticeable jewelry that you wear that I could see that some guys will be offended. If you wear them only occasionally then it is probably OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 AM

540 posts, read 362,472 times
Long as it's not the wedding/engagement ring (:

Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Geez...I wear jewelry (a couple of pieces from exes) and my husband has NEVER asked me the origin of them. It's never crossed his mind, and it never crossed MY mind that it was something I was supposed to disclose to him.

Would you get jealous of the furniture in her house, that she and an ex picked out together? Is it going to play mind games with you when you have sex in the bed she and her ex slept in?

What if her ex helped her buy her car? You want to help her buy a newer better one jealous man?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I say wear and enjoy them. I wouldn't tell unless asked who bought them. Most of my jewelry was purchased by exes. If a new man would want me to wear different items, I would inform him that I like to wear x, y and z daily, and feel free to purchase me new items.
I was dripping in David Yurman jewelry and some other nice pieces from my ex and sold it when we got divorced.
It just had a weird energy to it and I felt weird wearing it.
I completely get why it would bother a guy to have his gf wearing gifts from an ex.

I cannot imagine ever demanding a guy buy me anything.
Does that actually work for you?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
okay, I guess I am wrong.

I was just imagining sitting on the beach with the bf and holding hands and he plays around with my ring because it is there and then saying "thats a nice ring....where did you buy it?" or "nice ring ... is there a story behind it?" just as a casual conversation.

Thanks guys!
I won't presume to speak for all men but I've never once thought to ask where a particular ring came from. I could not care less. I barely notice jewelry and I don't think I've ever said "that's a nice ring".

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I couldn't care less where jewelry came from UNLESS the woman was always bringing up her ex and said he was the source of the ring she was usually or always wearing. Then I'd probably call her quits. She's not over him.

My wife had a few silver pieces when we got together and married and I have no idea of their source and couldn't care less. Over the years I've purchased some very nice gold and jeweled pieces and those are what she wears now. They're the ones she's sentimental about.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
How would a new guy even know? People generally don't ask where every piece of jewelry came from , that's weird. Who interrogates someone about their jewelry?

And many women these days can afford to buy their own jewelry, even expensive-looking pieces (even some of those go on sale). Also, unless it's an engagement ring, most women don't wear expensive jewelry as an everyday thing; they wear that for special occasions.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Geez...I wear jewelry (a couple of pieces from exes) and my husband has NEVER asked me the origin of them. It's never crossed his mind, and it never crossed MY mind that it was something I was supposed to disclose to him.

Would you get jealous of the furniture in her house, that she and an ex picked out together? Is it going to play mind games with you when you have sex in the bed she and her ex slept in?

What if her ex helped her buy her car? You want to help her buy a newer better one jealous man?
Pretty much.

In my experience, especially as I have gotten older, the idea of worrying about these things starts to border on silliness. Heck, I'd have to get rid of a heck of a lot of stuff if my partner was worried about a connection with my past.

Of course, it would be different if I were incessant about telling him about how my former partner picked out the sofa with me, or that we did x, y or z in the bed. But, that's not what we're speaking of here.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm trying to remember if any man ever asked me where I got my jewelry. I don't thunk one ever did. I certainly never thought I should tell a man where I got my jewelry. Generally, they just aren't interested. Nor do they care who the designer is of the purse I carry, as long as I don't try to make then carry the purse for me.

As long as you wear any jewelry he gives you so that he can feel like you appreciate the gift, most men don't even notice jewelry.

Don't talk about the ex. Think of something innocuous to say if he asks you where you got the rings. Got it at a moving (out) sale, would work. Take the rings home and give them to your mother and have her give them back to you so you can say your mother gave them to you. Or say you liked them so you got them for yourself. You don't have to say how you got them.

Seriously, he really doesn't care as long as you aren't rubbing his nose in it that the ex bought you expensive jewelry.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm trying to remember if any man ever asked me where I got my jewelry. I don't thunk one ever did. I certainly never thought I should tell a man where I got my jewelry. Generally, they just aren't interested. Nor do they care who the designer is of the purse I carry, as long as I don't try to make then carry the purse for me.

As long as you wear any jewelry he gives you so that he can feel like you appreciate the gift, most men don't even notice jewelry.

Don't talk about the ex. Think of something innocuous to say if he asks you where you got the rings. Got it at a moving (out) sale, would work. Take the rings home and give them to your mother and have her give them back to you so you can say your mother gave them to you. Or say you liked them so you got them for yourself. You don't have to say how you got them.

Seriously, he really doesn't care as long as you aren't rubbing his nose in it that the ex bought you expensive jewelry.

Why not just say (when asked) "they were a gift."

And yeah...if some guy asks me to not wear an exe's jewelry, he'll need to have something to replace it with. And even then, I'll be having second thoughts about a long term relationship with that person. I'm not owned by anyone, and wouldn't want to be with someone who gets jealous over jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships