Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people with a lack of education more prone to divorce?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 6 42.86%
Maybe 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM

147 posts, read 155,892 times

Advertisements

I do not really believe it, but I want others opinions.
Is this a generation thing? More people seem to divorce in general; from all ages.

My grandparents have been married 60 years with little education. My parents have different amount of education and have been together for almost 26 years. I have a friend who was married recently for with different education. I feel like education is not really a factor.

Also, do you think some people marry to marry? Just because or to get marriage type benefits?
i understand divorce can happen unexpectedly and I also know some people marry for the wrong reasons.

If you have a story, please share!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:36 PM

574 posts, read 376,605 times
I don't know why people put so much emphasis on how many years of partying someone did in college. He may be a broke jerk, and he may be a wealthy jerk. Still a jerk.

I built the house I live in with my own hands. I can fix the car. I can remodel the kitchen. I don't have to call the plumber. My marriage lasted 38 years until she passed and we raised 3 wonderful children who have families and careers of their own.
We retired early. Age 56, I have enough to leave my children a substantial inheritance as my present income exceeds my needs. And I only have 10 years of formal schooling. A high school drop out.

When I read an ad and her list of wants includes some higher level of education I delete or move to the next because she is really not all that intelligent. How many PHD"s out there can't even replace a light switch?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Well it's statistically true. What's to discuss?

People who are educated generally have better jobs that require better emotional intelligenc, communication skills, and coping skills. White collar careers groom and value the same skills that make for successful relationships. And I know because I've worked in both types of jobs and careers.

Now people will want to pick this apart and say that's not politically correct bla, bla, bla. For those of you who don't understand what a generalization and statistics are, you should google it to help you understand.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well it's statistically true. What's to discuss?

People who are educated generally have better jobs that require better emotional intelligenc, communication skills, and coping skills. White collar careers groom and value the same skills that make for successful relationships. And I know because I've worked in both types of jobs and careers.

Now people will want to pick this apart and say that's not politically correct bla, bla, bla. For those of you who don't understand what a generalization and statistics are, you should google it to help you understand.
Don't go there. Some folks get salty about these sort of discussions. The usual "I can do x, y and z that so and so with a degree can't do."/ and "I'm successful without a degree and I know so many idiots with degrees."

Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Maybe they can't do the math on how much a divorce costs.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Makes perfect sense. Those with post-secondary education tend to marry later and be more financially stable, both of which are correlated with lower rates of divorce.

[Sits back and waits for someone trot out an anecdote of grandparents who dropped out school in 7th grade to get married and stayed together for 70 years, contrasted with their neighbor's, uncle's Phd-holding friend who divorced after 3 months. Because anecdotes totes trump statistics.]

Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM

352 posts, read 233,981 times
The more eductated folks have higher paying jobs and a lot more money and lifestyle to give up in a divorce.

But seriously.....no I don't really believe it.....the above is only a possible theory.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I think it has to do with marrying younger. Those with post-HS degrees tend to put off marriage until they are older and more established But young marriages are riskier. So are marriages where money is a struggle.

That said, divorce is at a 40 year low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships