Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM

540 posts, read 362,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
Another question... Would guys wish to receive any of those things on the list? Flowers, gifts, songs, bakings, asking can a girl kiss you? Or what it would be if you could freely wish?

Indeed no sexual thing but something else.
Bakings are nice...
She doesn't have to ask to kiss..
Again if the chemistry is there we both know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
As a female...I'm not comfortable with any kinds of gifts on the first date. We are JUST starting to get to know each other...and I feel like any kind of gift is setting up an expectation, that I'm not sure I'm willing to fulfill.

And for me...(not talking for all woman-kind) I'd just as soon take sex off the table for the first date, as well. Again...I think first dates are for getting to know someone. But those are MY expectations.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM

405 posts, read 241,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Going back to the mid-1990s, old fashioned dating certainly worked for me. A single, yellow (friendship), long-stem rose didn't hurt. I see nothing wrong with actually romancing a woman you're interested in which goes far beyond being only interested in sex with her which I think should be construed as insulting. That's just "hooking up." not dating.

Being old school I've always opened doors, held chairs, picked up something dropped and accorded utmost politeness and consideration to women, all women. I decidedly think real dating should be back in vogue.

Full Disclosure: I'm 70, have been married to the recipient of the yellow rose for going on 21 years and she's always appreciated being married to an attentive gentleman.

that is what I enjoy the most, to take the woman out and show her a good time and get to know each other (and if we both have the same life goals which for me is hard to find a date number 2,3,4, etc can happen which excites me even more). not with the whole FWB and hooking up crap. I was raised to do those things and do them for all women, be a gentlemen first and foremost.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I am 63 and old-fashioned, and I am married to someone even more old-fashioned than I am. He still opens the door for me, pulls out my chair for me when we are at a restaurant, helps me put on my coat, etc. Just the kind of gentlemanly behavior that, for many people, went out of style decades ago. (Btw, we are neither upper-class nor Southern, but middle-class with Midwestern roots.)

About 20 years ago, we went to the theater, followed by drinks and appetizers, with my co-workers (about 30 people in all), and afterward, one of my younger associates said, "Wow, your husband still treats you like you're on your first date!" I just smiled and said, "Yes, I know." (Btw, I try to always treat him just as well as he treats me.)

Mutual respect and appreciation is one of the key reasons we have been happily married for 30 years.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

473 posts, read 307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am 63 and old-fashioned, and I am married to someone even more old-fashioned than I am. He still opens the door for me, pulls out my chair for me when we are at a restaurant, helps me put on my coat, etc. Just the kind of gentlemanly behavior that, for many people, went out of style decades ago. (Btw, we are neither upper-class nor Southern, but middle-class with Midwestern roots.)

About 20 years ago, we went to the theater, followed by drinks and appetizers, with my co-workers (about 30 people in all), and afterward, one of my younger associates said, "Wow, your husband still treats you like you're on your first date!" I just smiled and said, "Yes, I know." (Btw, I try to always treat him just as well as he treats me.)

Mutual respect and appreciation is one of the key reasons we have been happily married for 30 years.
Yeah, I think this is just as important and sometimes guys could be more open to tell what they would personally like.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
Yeah, I think this is just as important and sometimes guys could be more open to tell what they would personally like.
for me personally, I just want the girl to show a genuine interest in me, other than that everything else is an added bonus, I don't ask for much (in that sense).

Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM

352 posts, read 234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBrown333 View Post
(I should have prefaced by saying that we had been talking for about a month and a half before our first date, so we knew each other).
Now I get it and have the visual. Thanks Jim.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 AM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
I don't know if it should be called old fashioned or not. Being polite and being a gentleman should always be a starting point and not expecting sex the first date should also. But if we are too nice as men, we get friend zoned and spend a lot of lonely nights wondering why she likes jerks but not us. It was this way 40 years ago, it is still the same today.

So the proper way to behave is to start out as a gentleman, but with the attitude of, how soon can I rip her clothes off, tie her to the bed and have my way with her?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I don't know if it should be called old fashioned or not. Being polite and being a gentleman should always be a starting point and not expecting sex the first date should also. But if we are too nice as men, we get friend zoned and spend a lot of lonely nights wondering why she likes jerks but not us. It was this way 40 years ago, it is still the same today.

So the proper way to behave is to start out as a gentleman, but with the attitude of, how soon can I rip her clothes off, tie her to the bed and have my way with her?

you would be surprised how few guys are gentleman now a days, I have seen many examples. that is true also, but the way I look at it is I am who I am, if a girl chooses to friend zone me (If i am interested in her that way) its her problem not mine, and I am looking for a specific type of girl, and I find out quick if she is worth my time or not, in a romantic sense. I do not disagree with that, lady in the street freak in the sheets .

Old 03-31-2017, 10:54 AM

540 posts, read 362,918 times
Treat people how you want to be treated. If a lady puts me in the friend zone then it's not meant to be
You don't have to stay in the friend zone. That's what no contact is for.
Just move along to the next one. No hard feelings.
Part of the fun is the journey getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships