Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,952 times

Advertisements

18 years married and four awesome children. Two days ago I felt as if I died and went to hell. It came to light that my wife has been having an affair. The man in question is an ex convict who she met at daughters junior high. He is a parent of another child there and is separated from his wife. I suspected an affair, and she admitted an emotional aspect of it. Then proceeded to blame me for being a **** husband and blaming me for her falling in love with someone else. Last night she went out and didn't come home until three am, she was with this guy I know.

I have been devastated and have felt like dying (I would never kill myself). I have said that if she won't give him up then I don't see how we can be together anymore, she is threatening me telling me she'll take everything I have since she's the one who has looked out for the best interests of the kids, telling me that I'm **** and she's hurt that I'm willing to throw her away like that/ she is saying she does not want a divorce. I work and she's a stay at home mom.

I have asked her to cut contact with him, yet she said he's just a good friend (which is a lie). I can't sleep, I can't eat. I don't want to be a weekend dad and get to miss out on my children's life. I'm broken and I don't know what to do, I've been completely blindsided. Our marriage has been good but rocky, biggest problems for us has been communication and lack of intimacy over the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, this is horrible! I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Find a good counselor to help you process your feelings so they don't disable you. Also, consult with a lawyer to find out what kind of damage your wife can and can't do--in other words, find out what part of her threats (if any) she could actually make stick in court. My guess is: none of them, because she's the one who has abandoned you, so calm down. Don't panic. When people make unreasonable, outlandish threats, I believe in calling their bluff. But you need to talk to a GOOD lawyer, first.

You need emotional support; please get help. This is too much to cope with alone.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Get over to talkaboutmarriage.com and get some GOOD practical and emotional advice.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Very sorry to hear this mate.

As it stands now I'd speak to a lawyer just to get an idea of your options and go from there.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 8,952 times
I don't want to run around the whole internet. She was saying since I work a lot there's no way she won't get primary custody and that she feels as if she's entitled to a lot. Yet is telling me to not be ridiculous and file for divorce.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
Mod cut. there isn't much you can do but file and take your chances, because if you don't she eventually will, no matter what she says. So either way you will be going to court, I would go ahead and file and try to get in front of it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Off-topic comment.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbeyondrepair View Post
I don't want to run around the whole internet. She was saying since I work a lot there's no way she won't get primary custody and that she feels as if she's entitled to a lot. Yet is telling me to not be ridiculous and file for divorce.
Where did she study to get her law degree?

Would this be just a divorce or a custody battle as well?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you're going through this, OP.

I wonder why she is SO bold and cavalier about it to you. She flaunting this to you. Why would she do that?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
OP, the best thing you can do is have a consultation with the best divorce attorney you can afford. They are in a better place to inform you of what to expect should you file for divorce.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
My only advice would be to file before she does in the event anything else gets legally challenged in the future.

Do not wait.

You cannot change your wife, but you can protect against her change of heart and lifestyle interfering with your ability to be a father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships