Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So you're a male dating a female? Your parents will be thrilled. Leave out the complicated and now-trendy ambiguous gender expression rigmarole. If she were male, you'd be gay. But you're not, so everything is A-Ok.

People, like your partner, can be however they need to be, but a lot of people don't get it. Don't waste your time trying to explain this to your parents. Many adults don't understand the younger generation.

Congrats, I guess.
You get that Klinefelter's Syndrome (and intersex) are actual biological anomalies, and not an issue of trend or opinion, right?

Neither has anything to do with "the younger generation, " they're medical/chromosomal conditions.

OP, as long as your partner is on board with it, use your best judgment. Only you know your family, and can say if their being in the loop would be a positive. If your partner isn't on board with it, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
If my adult child was dating a murderer..It's my business. If my child is dating a corrupt politician it's my business....Why? Because familys look out for their kin..

Op- I question your intentions in this matter. Yet due to my inability to comprehend this biological anomile (SP?) I can only surmise that this partner is an adult and you love them.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So you're a male dating a female? Your parents will be thrilled. Leave out the complicated and now-trendy ambiguous gender expression rigmarole. If she were male, you'd be gay. But you're not, so everything is A-Ok.

People, like your partner, can be however they need to be, but a lot of people don't get it. Don't waste your time trying to explain this to your parents. Many adults don't understand the younger generation.

Congrats, I guess.
Like I said my parents have known my partner since they were raised male so they see them as male to female transitioning. But they might actually be just genetically female. I looked up xx male syndrome and it's very similar to klinefelter syndrome only boys with this syndrome have no y chromosome to begin with. It's just a matter of misplacement of the sry gene on the x chromosomes. My partner is 5'2". so very short like mentioned with xx male syndrome and unlike klinefelter syndrome in this sense. I wonder if that might be why.

Both my partner and I were reared male. I identify as male as a man. And they identify as agender. But the issues isn't really their identity they actually look female so it has nothing to do with their looks either rater what my parents know of their past.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Even if your partner is OK with telling them, I don't think it would matter to your parents, anyway. If they were willing to end friendships over this in the past, they probably already see your partner as "damaged goods" and their minds are already made up.
But if they are really genetically female XX karyotype. Then how is it wrong that they decided to use female hormones to homophobes? I mean they are a genetic female with a female appearance. On the biological sense they are clearly not biologically male. The way they were reared clearly is just a mistake.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You get that Klinefelter's Syndrome (and intersex) are actual biological anomalies, and not an issue of trend or opinion, right?

Neither has anything to do with "the younger generation, " they're medical/chromosomal conditions.

OP, as long as your partner is on board with it, use your best judgment. Only you know your family, and can say if their being in the loop would be a positive. If your partner isn't on board with it, no way.
Yeah I guess well we'll have to see if they can find anything with the second analysis. If they are really xx karyotype then I will proceed.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
From what I understand you to have said, I think you may have to realise that your parents beliefs are that in the eyes of THEIR God you are doomed to Hell because you are living with another man. There is no coming back from this position as far as they are concerned, so I think you will have to live with it. They know him as a man since you both were kids. Nothing you can do now will make any difference so I should just get on and enjoy your life without them. I dont know how they would treat your partner if you were to continue your relationship anyway.

Think about it, they are now faced with the situation of their much-loved son not going to Heaven where they are going AND going to Hell as well. They have lost you for the rest of their life and the next.

It should be a growth situation where they can examine their beliefs and find out that love and acceptance should win over man's religion every time, but I do not hold out much hope as it is a hard lesson to learn. Maybe I have read the situation wrongly. If so, I am sorry, but I do not see any good outcome by trying to force the issue on them. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 PM

926 posts, read 829,177 times
Never heard the word "intersex" before. From what I Googled, "Intersex" is someone born with opposite sex characteristics. I am confused on that lol. Can't wrap my head around what they could possibly be referring to, nor do I care enough to research, so if anyone would like to explain in a simple way wtf that could possibly mean, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Never heard the word "intersex" before. From what I Googled, "Intersex" is someone born with opposite sex characteristics. I am confused on that lol. Can't wrap my head around what they could possibly be referring to, nor do I care enough to research, so if anyone would like to explain in a simple way wtf that could possibly mean, I would greatly appreciate it.

Well basically for my partner it would mean they were born with a female karyotype (genetically female) but with male exterior genitals. So basically they have xx chromosomes.

But my partner was diagnosed with klinefelter syndrome which would mean they have an extra chromosome that's an x like xxy. Which is also technically intersex.

They went through a female puberty so they had symptoms long ago supposedly.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Intersex occurs when a baby is born that does not have genitalia that developed distinguishably visibly male or female...sometimes presenting as labia-like folds that did not completely fuse into a functional *******, undersized penis-like organ that is closer to an over developed clitoral tissue, etc. It can also present with chromosomes that do not match the genitalia and vice versa, gonads that do not match external genitalia, etc. The obsolete term hermaphrodite was once used to describe one type of intersex, but is no longer a clinical term.

When a baby is born with intersex characteristics, it is enormously complicated for families, because things like even completing a birth certificate may not be done prior to extensive chromosomal evaluation, involving labs many hospitals don't have speedy access to. Ditto endocrine analysis. Sometimes, if a child's genitalia is indiscriminate, and both types of gonads and/or sex chromosomes are present, parents are put in a position to in effect make the call, and choose what sex they will raise the child...whether surgical procedures and/or hormone therapy will be employed, which may or may not ultimately be the right call. Sometimes the results of chromosomal testing answer questions, sometimes they give rise to more. Any genetic counselor will attest to the difficulty and pressures involved in this situation for a newborn's parents.

Edit: City Data's filters evidently block "s c r o t u m," oddly, though not penis, labia, or clitoral. Huh. Go figure.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Intersex occurs when a baby is born that does not have genitalia that developed distinguishably visibly male or female...sometimes presenting as labia-like folds that did not completely fuse into a functional *******, undersized penis-like organ that is closer to an over developed clitoral tissue, etc. It can also present with chromosomes that do not match the genitalia and vice versa, go ads that do not match external genitalia, etc. The obsolete term hermaphrodite was once used to describe one type of intersex, but is no longer a clinical term.

When a baby is born with intersex characteristics, it is enormously complicated for families, because things like even completing a birth certificate may not be done prior to extensive chromosomal evaluation, involving labs many hospitals don't have speedy access to. Sometimes, if a child's genitalia is indiscriminate, and both types of gonads and/or sex chromosomes are present, parents are put in a position to in effect make the call, and choose what sex they will raise the child...which may or may not ultimately be the right call. Sometimes the results of chromosomal testing answer questions, sometimes they give rise to more. Any genetic counselor will attest to the difficulty and pressures involved in this situation for a newborn's parents.

My partner doesn't have this they just were born with a chromosomal abnormality either they are xxy like they were diagnosed. Or like 23andme implied they are xx but born with male genitalia. Either situation would be intersex technically. Imo xx male syndrome is definitely intersex while klinefelter syndrome is more like a gray area. Not so much you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships